Road Trip from Chiang Mai to Phuket. Any interesting Places to Visit .

Dazinoz

Hi everyone.

I am planning a road trip late this month from Chiang Mai to Phuket. Does anyone have ideas/recommendations of interesting places to see on the way down and back? Plan to do the trip 4 or 5 days each way. Not interested in wats/temples as there are plenty her in CM.

Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, phuketrichard said:

head from CM to Mae Hong Son- Mae Sarong-Mae Sot-Tak- across to Cha am-Phuket

did the reverse last July

Thanks for the suggestion. Will look on the net to see whats on the way

Have you seen Ayutthaya, that was quite interesting. There are some cave temples down near the coast but i dont remember all the names, very different to the CM temples. There is one near Cha am u take a boat around to the other side of a small mountain then climb up then down into a big cave. Bit of a climb but was fun.

My delightful tour guide has found some more cave temples for us to visit when i come back in Feb and i will finally go to the mountain that has all the bell looking things on the peaks but you've probably already seen that as its not far from CM

What about the 30 story buddha but i cant remember where that is either ????. I have been to so many places and restaurants, have thousands of photos, i get confused with it all ????

big buddha.jpg

Edited by whimsicalmike

From Chiang Mai head south on route 11. Elephant Conservation Centre at Lampang. Head south on route 1 to Tak. Turn left route 12 to the old capital of Sukhothai. Take route 101 from Sukhotai south to rejoin route 1 at Kamphaeng Phet.

South on route 1 to Ayutthaya (as previously described). Heading south take route 4 and at Nakhon Pathom right on route 323 to Kanchanaburi for the Bridge over the river Kwai and the Death railway. Retrace drive to route 4 and then the long drive south to Phuket. (photo of Sukhothai). Have an enjoyable drive.

250px-Wat_Sri_Sawai_-_Day.jpg      River Kwai Bridge Kanchanaburi Thailand

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, whimsicalmike said:

Have you seen Ayutthaya, that was quite interesting. There are some cave temples down near the coast but i dont remember all the names, very different to the CM temples. There is one near Cha am u take a boat around to the other side of a small mountain then climb up then down into a big cave. Bit of a climb but was fun.

My delightful tour guide has found some more cave temples for us to visit when i come back in Feb and i will finally go to the mountain that has all the bell looking things on the peaks but you've probably already seen that as its not far from CM

What about the 30 story buddha but i cant remember where that is either ????. I have been to so many places and restaurants, have thousands of photos, i get confused with it all ????

Not seen Ayutthaya. Thanks for the info.

23 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

From Chiang Mai head south on route 11. Elephant Conservation Centre at Lampang. Head south on route 1 to Tak. Turn left route 12 to the old capital of Sukhothai. Take route 101 from Sukhotai south to rejoin route 1 at Kamphaeng Phet.

South on route 1 to Ayutthaya (as previously described). Heading south take route 4 and at Nakhon Pathom right on route 323 to Kanchanaburi for the Bridge over the river Kwai and the Death railway. Retrace drive to route 4 and then the long drive south to Phuket. (photo of Sukhothai). Have an enjoyable drive.

250px-Wat_Sri_Sawai_-_Day.jpg      River Kwai Bridge Kanchanaburi Thailand

Thanks for the info. Definitely like to see the bridge and railway.

• Thanks 1

On 1/3/2019 at 9:00 AM, phuketrichard said:

head from CM to Mae Hong Son- Mae Sarong-Mae Sot-Tak- across to Cha am-Phuket

did the reverse last July

Why go to MHS? he would have to go through Pai and the 1863 curves.....,that makes for a 600km+ side trip before he starts setting a proper trajectory southward.

Head out of town on Hwy 11 (from Maya) or connect to it via 121 south. Connect to the Hwy.1 at Lampang.

From Tak heading due south.

The trick is to bypass the BKK-snarl by picking a S/W secondary route(333) at UThai Thani that will take you through Kanchanaburi and further down to connect with Hwy.4 through Ratchaburi. From here it's clear sailing to Phuket.

Coming back: From Kamphaeng Phet take Hwy.101 to Sukothai then Hwy.12 through Tak to Mae Sot.

Interesting border town along with a very scenic drive up Hwy.105 to Mae Sariang. Turn right onto Hwy.108. From this junction its about 200km back to CM.

Its a long haul,at least 1600km one way. Make sure your vehicle is well serviced before setting out.

As far as interesting places along the way... once you determine a route you can easily do the foot work yourself based on your schedule and budget et...

Good Luck - Safe & Happy Trails!

Edited by HaleySabai
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HaleySabai said:

Why go to MHS? he would have to go through Pai and the 1863 curves.....,that makes for a 600km+ side trip before he starts setting a proper trajectory southward.

Head out of town on Hwy 11 (from Maya) or connect to it via 121 south. Connect to the Hwy.1 at Lampang.

The trick is to bypass the BKK-snarl by picking a S/W secondary route(333) at UThai Thani that will take you through Kanchanaburi and further down to connect with Hwy.4 through Ratchaburi. From here it's clear sailing to Phuket.

Coming back: From Kamphaeng Phet take Hwy.101 to Sukothai then Hwy.12 through Tak to Mae Sot.

Interesting border town along with a very scenic drive up Hwy.105 to Mae Sariang. Turn right onto Hwy.108. From this junction its about 200km back to CM.

Its a long haul,at least 1600km one way. Make sure your vehicle is well serviced before setting out.

As far as interesting places along the way... once you determine a route you can easily do the foot work yourself based on your schedule and budget et...

Thanks for the info.

Hi Dazinoz,

I have done many trips along that route you are taking and visited a few places along the way.

As I enjoy Reservoirs and Dams most of which are on the way down to Phuket and on your way back.

Link to my photos and maps is below. Please have a look, as there are too many places to mention in one thread.

http://www.pbase.com/win13/root&view=tree

Have fun and drive safely.

Win ????

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kan Win said:

Hi Dazinoz,

I have done many trips along that route you are taking and visited a few places along the way.

As I enjoy Reservoirs and Dams most of which are on the way down to Phuket and on your way back.

Link to my photos and maps is below. Please have a look, as there are too many places to mention in one thread.

http://www.pbase.com/win13/root&view=tree

Have fun and drive safely.

Win ????

Thanks very much for that.

18 hours ago, HaleySabai said:

why?? cause its a beautiful drive  and MHS is one on my fav cities.