Solar Powered Garden Lights:

JuniorExPat

Okay so buying a plastic solar powered garden light at Tesco Lotus for B420 probably wasn't the best first step towards a foray into photo-sensitive eco-friendly garden decorating but at least I've learnt my lesson!

The light in question is one of those black plasic lantern looking things on a short black plastic spike, the top of the lantern has what looks to be photo voltaic cells and a light (dark) sensor but it just doesn't work and I've waited too long now to go back and argue the toss.

I'm looking for half a dozen of these things along with a couple that can be fixed onto the gateposts, has anyone had any success in finding some that work well (or simply just work will do!)?

Whilst we're at it, I'd really like to find a solar powered fountain/waterfall/pump - am I pushing the bounds of Chiang Mai based consumer satisfaction with this?!

Thanks in advance,

JxP

The light in question is one of those black plasic lantern looking things on a short black plastic spike, the top of the lantern has what looks to be photo voltaic cells and a light (dark) sensor but it just doesn't work and I've waited too long now to go back and argue the toss.

These lights usually come with a bit of packing plastic separating the rechargeable battery terminals from the wiring to the photoelectric cell.

Have you opened it up to see if it's been removed and that the connections are clear?

These lights usually come with a bit of packing plastic separating the rechargeable battery terminals from the wiring to the photoelectric cell.

Have you opened it up to see if it's been removed and that the connections are clear?

ermmm, . . . okay, . . . :o . . . where's the 'embarrassed' smiley?!

Thank you Jai Dee.

JxP

Edited by JuniorExPat

I'm looking for half a dozen of these things along with a couple that can be fixed onto the gateposts, has anyone had any success in finding some that work well (or simply just work will do!)?

I bought four of these from Chinese, have everything shop, on the left of Icon Square, and they worked perfectly, after fiddling with the sensitivity adjustment. I found that they were coming on when it got cloudy or overcast. A quick "tweak" of the control in the base fixed that. You might look and see if the one you purchased has a sensitivity control. You might find it's been wound in the wrong direction.

Also most important, check for the packing insulator, as Jai Dee suggested, and remove it. They have this in for the obvious reason that the light would come on when packed in a dark box. They are often in the form of a plastic tab sticking out of the side of the lamp.

May your darkness be illuminated :o

I bought four of these from Chinese, have everything shop, on the left of Icon Square, and they worked perfectly, after fiddling with the sensitivity adjustment. I found that they were coming on when it got cloudy or overcast. A quick "tweak" of the control in the base fixed that. You might look and see if the one you purchased has a sensitivity control. You might find it's been wound in the wrong direction.

Also most important, check for the packing insulator, as Jai Dee suggested, and remove it. They have this in for the obvious reason that the light would come on when packed in a dark box. They are often in the form of a plastic tab sticking out of the side of the lamp.

May your darkness be illuminated :D

Jai Dee decreed that there should be light and there was light and it was good! :o

I think my light is too cheap and cheerful to have a sensitivity adjustment but I will take a trip to your Chinese shop before I go the whole hog.

It would still be interesting to see if anyone else knows of any other good solar power product suppliers in CM.

Thanks Maejo Man.

JxP

Chinese, have everything shop, on the left of Icon Square

Where is Icon Square, please ?

Has anyone spotted these lights for sale elsewhere in CM ?

Across the soi from Computer Plaza, and there were also similar lights in a shop on the second floor of Computer Plaza a few months ago. About the third shop from the end on the left.