Yearly extension of stay based on marriage - the first time.

Would the following chain of events cause any problems when applying for a one year extension of stay based on marriage?

Multi entry non-O visa in expired passport. Arrived to Thailand with old and new passports and the valid one is stamped 90 days permit to stay. Applying for one year permit to stay and the concerned non-O visa in expired passport. Is this doable? Or is it an issue that the visa was granted to a different passport number than is currently in use?

Thanks all!

Step one would be transferring your current permitted-stay from the Non-O to the new passport.  Step two would be the extension being granted as a continuation of that permitted-stay, in the new passport.  I don't see a problem in that scenario.

Yes, that would be the situation if I got a new PP in Thailand. But what about if I get a new PP outside of Thailand and enter using both as in my first example? Would the situation in these two examples be different at immigration when applying for the first yearly extension of stay based on marriage and could it cause problems somehow?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

No different than if you got your passport here. 
You may have to get a letter from your embassy requesting the stamp transfer

But there would be no reason for any stamp transfer.

ME O visa in expired passport. Latest entry for 90d in new passport. And then application for one year thai wife. I am simply asking would this be a problem. Cos the visa is in the expired passport with a different number. And this is the first time applying for one year. I think the old visa number is always used in the yearly extension application? And I understand that someone could and has done this 20 times straight never leaving the country. I hope its not a problem for the first extension either.

6 minutes ago, zhangxifu said:

ME O visa in expired passport. Latest entry for 90d in new passport. And then application for one year thai wife. I am simply asking would this be a problem. Cos the visa is in the expired passport with a different number. And this is the first time applying for one year. I think the old visa number is always used in the yearly extension application? And I understand that someone could and has done this 20 times straight never leaving the country. I hope its not a problem for the first extension either.

That would seem to avoid a stamp-xfer, as the new stamp would already be in your current passport - given when you entered the country.  Likely they notate this stamp with a reference to the Visa in your old-passport.  But, when issuing the extension, immigration may still need to reference the original Visa, and possibly that passport number, so have your old passport with you. 

In any case, I do not see why the change in passports would prevent a 1-year extension, provided all qualifications are met, and you have both passports with you to show.

1 hour ago, zhangxifu said:

The OP wrote this and I replied based upon it.

7 hours ago, zhangxifu said:

Would the following chain of events cause any problems when applying for a one year extension of stay based on marriage?

He would need a stamp transfer to have a stamp done that has info about the visa he used for entry and his old passport.

If he was going to continue using a non-o visa the stamp transfer would not be needed.

• Like 1

He would need a stamp transfer to have a stamp done that has info about the visa he used for entry and his old passport.
If he was going to continue using a non-o visa the stamp transfer would not be needed.

Hey Ubonjoe, are you saying that the old visa data can be transferred to the new passport as some kind of stamp at immigration office? And that it is necessary in this situation, in case of first extension? But later extensions it is not? I mean passports expire in five years and then the last extension is transferred but not the original visa sticker information.
I have never heard that the visa information can be transferred. But I also can’t see why it couldn’t. I have heard though that someone was recently told to leave the country to get a new visa for the new passport at immigration when presenting the valid visa in old passport under circumstances described earlier.

34 minutes ago, zhangxifu said:

Hey Ubonjoe, are you saying that the old visa data can be transferred to the new passport as some kind of stamp at immigration office?

It is only a stamp with info stating what category the visa was, where it was issued and the date it was issued. It is not something that can be used for entry.

You will  need to have a copy of the stamp for each extension. Then when you get a new passport they would do a new stamp with the same info.

Scan of the stamp.

1859737414_visaannotation.jpg.fde69d368e3f8dd3d3998abfde4fc777.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

It is only a stamp with info stating what category the visa was, where it was issued and the date it was issued. It is not something that can be used for entry.

You will  need to have a copy of the stamp for each extension. Then when you get a new passport they would do a new stamp with the same info.

Scan of the stamp.

1859737414_visaannotation.jpg.fde69d368e3f8dd3d3998abfde4fc777.jpg

Thanks. But this scan seems to be the transfer of the 90 days stay permitted from Mukdahan border point. It does not have any of the visa data. 

59 minutes ago, zhangxifu said:

Thanks. But this scan seems to be the transfer of the 90 days stay permitted from Mukdahan border point. It does not have any of the visa data. 

This part of the stamp is about the visa. But they wrote Mukdahan instead of Savannakhet. The transfer was done in 2013.

image.png.e8cfa9c57f7a75253af14b0372003230.png

23 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

No different than if you got your passport here. 

You may have to get a letter from your embassy requesting the stamp transfer

1)What should we state in the application form(to embassy),May i know The service from embassy is "endorsement"? 2)After we got the new passport and still need to show the old passport whenever renewing one year extension of stay?

1 minute ago, wilkis333 said:

1)What should we state in the application form(to embassy),May i know The service from embassy is "endorsement"?

Most embassies have a standard form they use for the document requesting the stamp transfer. Which country are your from?

1 minute ago, wilkis333 said:

2)After we got the new passport and still need to show the old passport whenever renewing one year extension of stay?

After getting the stamps transfered you will never need to show your old passport to immigration again.

On 1/4/2019 at 4:32 PM, ubonjoe said:

Most embassies have a standard form they use for the documen

On 1/4/2019 at 4:32 PM, ubonjoe said:

Most embassies have a standard form they use for the document requesting the stamp transfer. Which country are your from?

After getting the stamps transfered you will never need to show your old passport to immigration again.

t requesting the stamp transfer. Which country are your from?

On 1/3/2019 at 7:56 PM, zhangxifu said:

Hey Ubonjoe, are you saying that the old visa data can be transferred to the new passport as some kind of stamp at immigration office? And that it is necessary in this situation, in case of first extension? But later extensions it is not? I mean passports expire in five years and then the last extension is transferred but not the original visa sticker information.
I have never heard that the visa information can be transferred. But I also can’t see why it couldn’t. I have heard though that someone was recently told to leave the country to get a new visa for the new passport at immigration when presenting the valid visa in old passport under circumstances described earlier.

Over the years I have had to have the visa information transferred into new passports on two occasions. The last time was it was accomplished at CW during an extension application: done by the same IO as she processed my extension. It was necessary according to the IO.