Proof of income/no income

Hi all,

got married last year to my wife and she'll be joining me in Ireland this year.

Here in Ireland I can claim tax credits from her for being married, however as she was not resident here during this time I need to prove that she wasn't earning anything in 2018.

Is there a government document to prove that she had zero income or was unemployed for the entire year?

Thanks for any help.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi all,

got married last year to my wife and she'll be joining me in Ireland this year.

Here in Ireland I can claim tax credits from her for being married, however as she was not resident here during this time I need to prove that she wasn't earning anything in 2018.

Is there a government document to prove that she had zero income or was unemployed for the entire year?

Thanks for any help.

Ireland allows married couples to transfer their tax allowance to the working “partner” thereby reducing said partners tax liabilities
However the transferring partner must have a PPS number (social security card) and if unemployed must not be in receipt of any benefits
The only documentation you need to complete is a declaration obtainable from your local social welfare office signed by your wife stating that she wishes her tax allowances to be transferred to her husband and on that form she will need to input her PPS Number
This benefit is not retrospective so does not apply in your case as you are looking to avail of this tax break for 2018
Having said all this if your wife has never been in the system in Ireland and does not have a PPS number it is not possible to take advantage of this tax break
This was my experience with my ex who was a uk national but was living with me in Dublin but did not have a PPS number so all we did was go to the local social welfare office and applied for one which she then received within two weeks
Obviously under the EU freedom of movement regulations it was a mere formality
If your wife is non EU national then getting a PPS number may not be as straight forward
Hope this helps and I would recommend that you should look at the Irish government website gov.ie for more up to date infomation

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app