Phi Phi tourists stranded until blanket safety ban on boats leaving port during ‘Pabuk’ weather is lifted

snoop1130

Phi Phi tourists stranded until blanket safety ban on boats leaving port during ‘Pabuk’ weather is lifted

By Tanyaluk Sakoot

1546514343_1-org.jpg

Krabi Tourist Police explain to tourists that all boats to the islands, including Phi Phi Island, are banned from leaving port due to safety concerns amid fears of wild weather from tropical storm ‘Pabuk’. Photo: Krabit Tourist Police

PHUKET:-- Tourists who did not manage to board a ferry departing Phi Phi Island earlier today (Jan 3) will have to remain on the island until a ban on all boats leaving port is lifted.

The ban on all small boats leaving port in Phuket for safety reasons amid concerns of wild weather from tropical storm Pabuk was instituted by Phuket Governor Phakaphong Tavipatan yesterday.

However, the order was ramped up to now include a ban on all boats leaving port by order of Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha this afternoon.

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phi-phi-tourists-stranded-until-blanket-safety-ban-on-boats-leaving-port-during-pabuk-weather-is-lifted-69880.php#JQjcptZVKBGxheyS.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-1-3

1 hour ago, evadgib said:

For 'Stranded' read 'Merely Inconvenienced'. 

And there's been plenty of news about the impending severe weather, which nobody can control, why didn't the tourists use their brains and leave immediately? 

And there's been plenty of news about the impending severe weather, which nobody can control, why didn't the tourists use their brains and leave immediately? 
Use your own brain. They are on holidays, certainly not cruzing TV threads and probably watching CNN with zero coverage

Nine msn in oz only just released a clip today.. A bit late

10 hours ago, Oziex1 said:

For goodness sake wasn't marine safety sorted after the Phoenix catastrophe.

Why does the pm have to have his two bobs worth? 

So what is your suggestion, they let boats go out?

Just now, stevenl said:

So what is your suggestion, they let boats go out?

No Steven you missed it completely it's about Prayuths micromanagement.

As I said marine safety is supposed to be a done deal,  if so the PM has no need to be concerned.

30 minutes ago, Oziex1 said:

As I said marine safety is supposed to be a done deal,  if so the PM has no need to be concerned.

I think you're missing it completely. Part of marine safety is setting limits. These limits have been set by the marine offices, but now it is not a local case any more, but national. So national government had stepped in, as they should.

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

I think you're missing it completely. Part of marine safety is setting limits. These limits have been set by the marine offices, but now it is not a local case any more, but national. So national government had stepped in, as they should.

Can you name one other country where The Prime Minister, or The President, would intervene in such matters, by way of public announcement????

12 hours ago, Oziex1 said:

For goodness sake wasn't marine safety sorted after the Phoenix catastrophe.

Why does the pm have to have his two bobs worth? 

It doesn't instill the confidence of the tourists coming to Thailand when The Prime Minister has to issue such directives to the tourism industry, for the sake of the tourist's safety.

The tourist must be thinking, is no one under the level of Prime Minister capable of making the same decision, and delivering the same order.   

To be clear, I don't thya blanket ban like this is justified. I just think your arguments are based on a dislike for prayuth.

To be clear, I don't thya blanket ban like this is justified. I just think your arguments are based on a dislike for prayuth.

For sure I dislike Prayuth,  to repeat my point it is very dissapointing that the agencies tasked with marine safety need a public directive from the PM. If they have not risen to the task after the Phoenix incident, will they ever?

7 minutes ago, Oziex1 said:

For sure I dislike Prayuth,  to repeat my point it is very dissapointing that the agencies tasked with marine safety need a public directive from the PM. If they have not risen to the task after the Phoenix incident, will they ever?

Who says they need a public directive? They had already come up with a ban, at least from Phuket, but Prayuth has made it wider.

You're jumping to conclusions, as of yet IMO not justified.

9 hours ago, Oziex1 said:

Valid point.

On the other hand given the track record, even now, of the specific ministries / agencies / officers involved I'm happy for him to step over the top of them all. 

Archived