Kawthaung 30 day Visa Exempt Run

I am hoping to do a 30 day visa exempt run to Kawthaung from Ranong in March. Does anyone know if they still allow you to stay in Kawthaung for a few days for the $10 fee, or do you now need a proper Burnese visa? I need a few days grace on top of my 30 day exempt to get me to the date when my flight returns.

Much appreciated, Happy New Year,

Mickey Miles

You must tell them (Kawthaung Burmese Immigration) that you intend to stay for a couple of days.  Otherwise they will assume you are doing a "border run" and will put the entry and exit stamp at the same time.   I'm not sure if they still hold your passport.  

Make sure the $10 bill is crispy and new looking (no tears, creases, or writing).  

Edit:  you could also extend at a local Thai immigration on top of your visa exempt entry for 30 days.  How many prior extensions or visa exempts have you had over the past 24 months?  What is the country of your passport?

Edited by 4evermaat

Thanks for that 4evermaat :-)

UK passport :-(

Had 1 visa exempt in 2017.

Currently on a 60 day tourist visa from London and will extend this for 30 days at Blue Port immigration Hua Hin.

Actually I hope to do both of your suggestions with my planned 1 visa exempt to

Kawthaung.

Stay for 2 nights at a hotel in Kawthaung, then once back to Hua Hin, hopefully extend the 30 day visa exempt for another 30 days at Blue Port immigration.

Just hope it will all workout as hope to keep my current room in Hua Hin while doing the border run. Will be a disaster if they will not let me back in at Ranong as want to leave most of my luggage in Hua Hin.

Any ideas of places to stay in Kawthaung would be very much appreciated.

Thanks for your help,

Mickey Miles

You could get the 30 day visa exempt entry extend it for 30 days and then apply for another extension, pay 1900 baht and be granted 7 days to leave the country after it is denied. Possibly cheaper than staying out of the country for 2 nights.

• Like 1

Thanks Mr Ubon Joe :-) Yes, I had not thought of that and would be   saving a couple of nights on my rented condo, so when you add up the 2 nights hotel and loss of 2 nights rent it comes to about 1500 baht, so that might be the best option :-)  I take it that they do not give you any nasty red stamps that might hinder another tourist visa from London / immigration scrutiny BKK, very much later this year?

Much appreciated,

Happy New Year,

Mickey Miles