Tourist Fund To Be Set Up With Contribution From Airport Taxes

george

Tourist fund to be set up with contribution from airport taxes

BANGKOK: -- The Tourism and Sports Ministry is negotiating with Airports of Thailand (AOT) to set up a "tourist fund'' to provide assistance to foreigners in emergency incidents while visiting Thailand.

Tourists will be automatically insured by the fund, which will cover a tourist's additional spending caused by incidents including accidents, crime and natural disasters, as well as compensation for death.

Minister Suvit Yodmani said the fund would run under his ministry, which also takes care of tourist police and tourist-guide divisions.

Suvit said the ministry would ask AOT to provide financial support to set up the fund. The ministry is asking for one per cent of revenue from AOT's airport tax.

-- The Nation 2007-02-21

I am pretty good with nasty, snide, sarcastic, cynical comments, but I am a little at a loss on this one. It sounds like a good plan and a nice idea.

(It's Friday and I am sure by Monday I'll be back to my old negative self!)

I am pretty good with nasty, snide, sarcastic, cynical comments, but I am a little at a loss on this one. It sounds like a good plan and a nice idea.

(It's Friday and I am sure by Monday I'll be back to my old negative self!)

On the face of it it sounds like a good idea.

Tourist fund to be set up with contribution from airport taxes

-- The Nation 2007-02-21

Interesting idea. I wonder how they will evaluate claims. Done properly, it could alleviate the cost burden of helping out tourists who have suffered accidents or wrongdoing. If not done properly, it could be vulnerable to insurance fraud. Not to be too cynical about something that could be very good, but I'm just curious about the details (you know, where the devil is...).

Cheers,

-oev