Lax-bkk-lax More Expensive Than Bkk-lax-bkk

jbsears

I am arranging flights for my family to come over to Thailand this June and have found that it is about 13k Baht more flying from LAX than from BKK in a round trip. Is there a way to get the cheaper price for my family who will start the round trip from LAX?

The prices I am mentioning are from China and EVA.

LAX-BKK-LAX 48,500 Baht

BKK-LAX-BKK 35,000 Baht

LAX-BKK-LAX 48,500 Baht

BKK-LAX-BKK 35,000 Baht

Are both of those quoted fares all taxes inclusive? Also, if you are talking about travel in June, you are into the summer travel season in the US and fares are generally higher.

Yeah, both times are tax included. Okay, the summer timing could be it.

Since with China Airlines you can change the flights anytime with no charge, does anybody know if it is possible to buy the BKK-LAX-BKK flights and just change the dates to use the LAX-BKK first and then use the BKK-LAX?

I could be wrong here but my guess is that because your are checking fare price and availability from within Thailand, maybe the bkk-lax-bkk is a consolidated fare and lax-bkk-lax is a published fare?

Edited by enyaw

Since with China Airlines you can change the flights anytime with no charge, does anybody know if it is possible to buy the BKK-LAX-BKK flights and just change the dates to use the LAX-BKK first and then use the BKK-LAX?

Let me get this straight you want to purchase a bkk - lax return ticket say like thus:

1 BKK - LAX 12JUN

2 LAX - BKK 26JUN

but then change sector 1 dates to say this:

2 LAX - BKK 26JUN

1 BKK - LAX 10JUL

Ingenious it may be, but it's not possible as it would no longer be a bkk - lax return ticket would it.

It may be cheaper for you to book your tickets from a tour-op within the US, but as you say because June is

a particualy busy time the cheaper fares which are released usually around 11 months prior to departure date

may now be fully booked... worth a try though.

Edited by enyaw

unfortunately you can't do that.

I am arranging flights for my family to come over to Thailand this June and have found that it is about 13k Baht more flying from LAX than from BKK in a round trip. Is there a way to get the cheaper price for my family who will start the round trip from LAX?

LAX-BKK-LAX 48,500 Baht

BKK-LAX-BKK 35,000 Baht

You or your family needs to find an Asian-focused travel agent in Los Angeles who has access to consoldiator fares. These travel agents are usually found in Asian communities.

Someone in a travel forum recommended http://www.thaifly.com/

What is the legnth of stay in Thailand?

Where do you want to purchase the tickets? What currency do you prefer to pay with?

Are travel dates flexible?

How many indivudals are traveling? Can they split up?

Are the travelers originating in the LA area or will they connect through LA?

My guess is that the cheaper fare buckets ($800 - $1,100) available to the general public via retial outlets, like the Internet or the airlines website, have already been sold but Consolidators typically still have some of those fares in their inventory.

[since with China Airlines you can change the flights anytime with no charge, does anybody know if it is possible to buy the BKK-LAX-BKK flights and just change the dates to use the LAX-BKK first and then use the BKK-LAX?

as such this is VERY common on all airlines, its only since this year that the EU has ruled out this to be illegal for ALL 27 EU-countries. f.e. me, as Dutchman, wanted to book a domestic American air flight, was refused my Cred cd at final stage, was directed to their Belkgia site, where the price was 3x as much!

Also it depends on CLASS of TICKET and conditions if airline will allow changes, and if yes, at a fee or not, how many, etc. Really: air ticketing is far, miles more complicated as most people seem to think. Thats THEIR way of at least grabbing something back due to low fares. even if 1 airline charges about same for return BKK-XYZ or the other way, the finer details/conditions may differ a lot, this is quite common for tickets in or out of Thaild.

You or your family needs to find an Asian-focused travel agent in Los Angeles who has access to consoldiator fares. These travel agents are usually found in Asian communities.

Where do you want to purchase the tickets? What currency do you prefer to pay with?

My guess is that the cheaper fare buckets ($800 - $1,100) available to the general public via retial outlets, like the Internet or the airlines website, have already been sold but Consolidators typically still have some of those fares in their inventory.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

To answer some of these questions:

The dates are from June 12 to June 23. The dates are pretty firm since they are coming for my wedding but can be moved by a day either way.

I can purchase them in the US or Thailand. I only have money in dollars to purchase the tickets.

The travelers will be connecting at LA. Sister's family from Houston and Brother's family and Father from Indianapolis. Total of 5 adults and 1 kid.

I would really prefer them to not be split so I can pick them all up at the airport at once.

I heard there is a big Thai community in Houston. Do any of you think that my sister could find one of these Asian consolidators there for flights out of LAX?

Thanks again all!

Edited by jbsears

The dates are from June 12 to June 23. The dates are pretty firm since they are coming for my wedding but can be moved by a day either way.

I can purchase them in the US or Thailand. I only have money in dollars to purchase the tickets.

The travelers will be connecting at LA. Sister's family from Houston and Brother's family and Father from Indianapolis. Total of 5 adults and 1 kid.

I would really prefer them to not be split so I can pick them all up at the airport at once.

I heard there is a big Thai community in Houston. Do any of you think that my sister could find one of these Asian consolidators there for flights out of LAX?

Thanks again all!

Korean Air are offering a lower fare, bookable online here airline consolidator which is actually a published fare.. swing'n'round abouts.

Edited by enyaw

With six different passengers, originating at different cities, you are looking at a massive job of trying to coordinate, book and ticket these itineraries. It is not clear to me why everyone has to leave from LAX? Nor why everyone needs to be on the exact same flights? Typically people would leave the U.S.A. early in the morning and arrive BKK late in the evening one day later. Who cares if some are on a JL flight that arrives at 22:00, or a NH flight that arrives at 21:55 or a NW flight that arrives at 23:55?

You need to find a travel agent in the U.S.A. who specializes in Consolidator fares. You need to put together an RFQ (request for quote) detailing the passenger's names and passport details and proposed itineraries and let them do what they do best. Originating in IND and HOU, returning on a weekend, traveling at super-peak time all indicates that you should expect to pay $1,000 ~ $1,500 per person.

Edited by lomatopo

With six different passengers, originating at different cities, you are looking at a massive job of trying to coordinate, book and ticket these itineraries. It is not clear to me why everyone has to leave from LAX? Nor why everyone needs to be on the exact same flights? Typically people would leave the U.S.A. early in the morning and arrive BKK late in the evening one day later. Who cares if some are on a JL flight that arrives at 22:00, or a NH flight that arrives at 21:55 or a NW flight that arrives at 23:55?

You need to find a travel agent in the U.S.A. who specializes in Consolidator fares. You need to put together an RFQ (request for quote) detailing the passenger's names and passport details and proposed itineraries and let them do what they do best. Originating in IND and HOU, returning on a weekend, traveling at super-peak time all indicates that you should expect to pay $1,000 ~ $1,500 per person.

i've only ever flown at night and arrived at around noon. I can't imagine arriving hear at night and really don't want my family to do it. Sleeping all the way from LA and then having to sleep right away again.

Every one coming together should be easy. They find their own flights to LAX and then the flight out usually around 1am from LAX. I've been doing it multiple times a year for the past five years and has been fine. The only problem this time is the fairs are outrageously high. Then again this is my first time buying a ticket in the summer originating from the US.

Thanks all for the help though.

As some of the posters have said - you will need to find an agent on that side of the pond because Thailand-based agents only have access to promotional fares which originate in Thailand - and vice-versa. Thaifly is a Thai travel agent and they will not be able to arrange better fares originating from the US.

Japan is an exception, however, as JAL and ANA have a deal called "yobiyose" which allows someone (usually a Japanese expat) to invite someone over from Japan (usually family, wife etc.) at special fares which vary depending on dates, day of week, even the actual flight being requested. These yobiyose fares are practically the same as a flight from BKK-Japan-BKK.

The LA Times is a good source if you're based there. Next best would be a paper in San Francisco, as these are the two major landing points for Asians.

Orbitz, Expedia, Travelocity - sometimes they actually have the best fares, but *usually* not.

Thanks again all!

I used to have to book travel for my kids from high school and college when we lived outside the U.S. The travel dates that you've selected is right in that kind of timeframe. This time and Christmas is "high" priced wise from the states.

From SFO, I found that there is at least a 150USD reduction in price just moving the dates up 1 week and 300USD reduction in price moving the dates up 2 weeks. Don't know what criteria the wedding dates were chosen, but if dates can be changed, it might save you some money.

Also, if you are paying in USD here in Thailand, you also need to factor in the cost of USD--TB conversion. We normally transfer money from an account in US to our Thailand bank account and then pay cash (Thai baht) when we buy tickets here. We think we might be getting a slightly better exchange rate that way than if we charged it.

Congratulations and hope the plans turn out well...

"I heard there is a big Thai community in Houston. Do any of you think that my sister could find one of these Asian consolidators there for flights out of LAX?

I say nevermind the consolidators. GO through the same travel agents the Thais do, either in TX or in LA. I always buy from the same place in Hollywood where LA has a bustling Thai community. My lady Gae (as in English 'gay' but with rising tone) at Star Tours always has the best prices. I compared all around Hollywood and LA - even in Chiantown n Koreatown. Best flights to LOS is thru them. Even beat internet prices, unless EVA or China Air is running a particularly good internet special. Gae is always sure to tell me who is cheapest too - sometimes it's Japan Airlines, sometimes CHina, sometimes EVA. I always get a choice and am happy with it. She could send the tix to your fam in TX easily. Or maybe you can find the same kind of service by sending your family to a Thai restaurant and asking them to sweet talk the staff and find where they buy their tix home. The Thais-selling-to-Thais approach is always best. They give better prices and know the most about the routes.

Star Tours is on Hollywood Blvd - in the heart of Thai town off the 101 Fwy. I haven't used them in the last yr as I did decide to opt for the cheaper BKK-LAX roundtrip after eating the cost on a one way in late '05. But if you like, call Gae @ 323-644-1063. I also have an email for them as [email protected]. They are usually very prompt. Just for fun tell her 'Taleh' - The 'sea' in Thai - sent you. Wish I got a kickback, but doesn't work that way. I just tell you to send her a hello from me. She knows Taleh, the Farang in Chiang Mai who speaks Thai.

Let me know if the prices work out to your liking. Chok dii.

NO, the carrier rules always stipulate that you have to use the coupons in the order they have been issued, so you need to use the BKK-LAX first if that is what you ordered.... and don't try to fool them coz they will invalidate your tiket when they find out... means you loose the coupon that is not in sequence and no refund ....

If you tavel regularly, thenyou can combine two tickets (known as piggi backing) .. but that can't be done for only one flight .

It is quite common that tariffs differ between city pairs depending on what the point of origin is. The reason is that airlines price their fares according to demand. So if there is less demand for BKK-LX-BKK they will put the tariff lower as an incentive.

I would suggest that you take EVa better then CI if it is similar price. Also look at their tariff for Evergreen deluxe. usualy it is only marginally more expensive and so much better for a very long flight. also you will mostly have the cheapest tariff direct on the Eva web site. Also eva is one of the very few airlines who will debit your credit card only one week or so B4 your flight so you can book early without having the amount debited right away from your credit card.