Visa run, return the same day?

To cut a long story short, I changed jobs recently and had to cancel my old non-imm visa and return on a 30 day tourist visa, which has been extended once since then. The paperwork for the new job isn't complete yet so I have to leave Thailand next week and return again on a tourist visa. My question is, if I leave and return on the same day, is that acceptable by Thai immigration? Or do I have to be out of the country for a whole calendar day?

If possible, I'd like to fly out in the morning and return in the afternoon/evening, just do a U-turn at the airport, so to say. 

16 minutes ago, djayz said:

My question is, if I leave and return on the same day, is that acceptable by Thai immigration?

That depends upon where you enter the country to get a new 30 day visa exempt entry (it is not a tourist visa).

If by land avoid doing at the Aran/Poipet crossing or you will have to stay overnight and at some crossing to Malaysia as well.

• Like 1

If OP intends to fly out/in, won't he need an onward flight to satisfy airline? Depending on where he is located (sounds like bkk as mentions flying) but border crossing might be better option. eg Vientiane. Could fly to udon transfer to non khai and return. One day. 

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

If OP intends to fly out/in, won't he need an onward flight to satisfy airline? Depending on where he is located (sounds like bkk as mentions flying) but border crossing might be better option. eg Vientiane. Could fly to udon transfer to non khai and return. One day. 

Cheap throw away ticket or booked and not paid. Would that not work?

38 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Knew someone who did this recently.  They were switching passports EU to Canadian.  Did it 100% by air chumphon > Don Mueang > KL and back the same day.  Had some errands to do that apparently couldn't afford the time of a layover on any of the legs. 

Obviously I would advise you to layover for such a long journey.  Any delay in one of the legs (particularly at Immigration) would have thrown off the entire sequence. 

Edited by 4evermaat
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Cheap throw away ticket or booked and not paid. Would that not work?

Probably....I've heard about both but personally never required. As for the booked and not paid, I'm thinking airline wants to see word "confirmation" on any screenshot etc. That word only appears upon payment. Then there is (slim) possibility of rejection at bangkok airports. Yes doubtful....personally I would do something like I mentioned earlier. Fly domestic (eg bkk-udon. Cross friendship bridge. Fly back later that day.

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

That depends upon where you enter the country to get a new 30 day visa exempt entry (it is not a tourist visa).

If by land avoid doing at the Aran/Poipet crossing or you will have to stay overnight and at some crossing to Malaysia as well.

Thanks for reminding me. I forgot to mention I'll fly either to Vientiane (most probably), Kuala Lumpur or Jakarta (the least likely option). Yes, it's a "visa exempt entry", not tourist visa. My mistake. It's been years and years since I've had to do a visa run... another reason I'm trying to get a visa based on my son sorted out. 

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Hi Ubon

Hope I can pick your knowledgeable brain on the subject of returning from Malaysia same day as leaving.

I have some friends that will be in the north of Malaysia that I could hang out with for the day.

But would I be able to return in to Thailand the same day? I’m thinking Padang Bessar since there is train and bus options on both side of the boarder.

I am on an A-O multiple entry visa that I got back in Europe. I have not been in Thailand for even 3 month yet.

If I can return the same day will they as for the 20 000 THB?  

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask just move the question.

21 minutes ago, bokningar said:

But would I be able to return in to Thailand the same day? I’m thinking Padang Bessar since there is train and bus options on both side of the boarder.

I am on an A-O multiple entry visa that I got back in Europe. I have not been in Thailand for even 3 month yet.

If I can return the same day will they as for the 20 000 THB?  

If you use crossing at the train station they should not expect you to of stayed overnight.

There should be no need for 20k baht since you have a OA visa.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Bokningar, You have an O-A. Its multiple entry. You can travel in out as much as you like. Same day or whatever

Yes that's why I got it in the first place.

But after reading about people having unexpected trouble at diferent boarers I felt it was better to check if any changes  ????

• Like 1

6 hours ago, djayz said:

If possible, I'd like to fly out in the morning and return in the afternoon/evening, just do a U-turn at the airport, so to say. 

Yes it shouldn't be a problem. But back to back visa exempt entries are frowned upon so you might get questioned on re-entry. It might be an idea to carry a letter from your new employer explaining the delay and need for the visa run.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies. I've decided to spend a night "abroad", just to put at least that one to bed. Re back-to-back visa exempt visas, this will be my second (one visa exempt entry in Nov., then a 30 day extension in December and now a new i.e. second visa exempt entry with the intention of getting an additional 30 days extension IF the paperwork isn't complete within the next 30 days.