Several questions regarding work permit and visa's

Hi all,

I finally decided to sign up as I really need to ask some questions and this seems to be the best place to go.

I've came to Thailand once before on a SETV and went back home for three months after that. I have now stayed here for 7.5 months on a fly-in, two border bounces and one SETV acquired in November. I plan on extending this SETV for another month but I'm becoming worrisome on what to do after. I signed a beautiful condo in Pattaya a month ago and would need 4 more months worth of visa's to stay here for the remaining of the contract, which is also the point where I will fly out to a different country and not come back to Thailand for a while. 

1. First and foremost, my biggest worry, let's say I do a border bounce or apply for a new SETV, and I get denied. What should I do next? I mean, I got the rentral contract and bills I need to pay as well as stuff I would have to get out of my condo if I'm really forced to leave. Do they allow me to come back and atleast pick my stuff up?

Now I'm also really curious as to what would be the best thing to do to stay here the remaining four months. My options seem very limited to SETV's and border bounces, as I'm only in my early 20s with not too much money on the bank. The thing is, I do earn money, but I was never able to find out if I actually need a work permit for it. So if anybody could tell me this about my situation, that'd be great too. I had a YouTube channel years ago which became quite successful. We ended up working with a team and I gave the channel to somebody in the team, under the contract that I get a percentage of what revenue the channel generates. Therefore, each month I'm getting a fair share of the money which is enough for me to live by in Thailand. I'm not really working, but I'm receiving funds. Also, if I don't have enough for the month, my dad is willing to financially assist me a bit as I'm planning to pay him back through a normal job when I'm back home. What I've been doing here primarily is resting, reading books, studying and enjoying life. 

2. So do I need a work permit for such thing?

I've also heard that it's possible to apply for a student visa and that would be my safest option. But I really only want to be here for another four months, so I feel like two border bounces would be the best option, theoretically, but I'm worried that I'm pushing my luck too much with all these SETV's and border bounces.

3. What would be my best visa options?

Tried to keep it short but also explain my situation as much as possible... thanks for reading

Edited by TristanR

1 hour ago, TristanR said:

1. First and foremost, my biggest worry, let's say I do a border bounce or apply for a new SETV, and I get denied. What should I do next? I mean, I got the rentral contract and bills I need to pay as well as stuff I would have to get out of my condo if I'm really forced to leave. Do they allow me to come back and atleast pick my stuff up?

Unless you get a visa or are granted visa free entry there is nothing you can do. They won't let you in to "pick up your stuff". Take any important stuff with you on your visa runs. Setting up home as a tourist is not the best idea especially at your age. You have a higher chance of being denied a visa/entry because they will be highly suspicious that you are working.

2. So do I need a work permit for such thing?

No, and you couldn't get one anyway. You do not need a work permit if you aren't working for a Thai business. It sounds like you aren't and are receiving a passive income; so no problem.

3. What would be my best visa options?

Do not use Visa Exempt Entry. At the very least use two SETV's as that will greatly reduce the chances of questioning or denied entry. A non 'ED' (student) visa would be an expensive option for four months.

Edited by elviajero
  • Thanks 1

Wow that's a bit scary regarding getting denied entry. I'll make sure to bring my electronic valuables then..  maybe give my keycard to a friend of mine whilst I visit Vientiane so she can fly over and bring my stuff if worst case scenario happens. I can't think of a smarter way to go at it.

Regarding SETV's.. this is my history: I applied for one in January 2018 and I'm now using the one I applied for in November 2018. 

I feel certain that I could apply for another SETV around early February (when the extension expires), but don't think I could get another one after that, right? That'd be early May. I thought you could only apply for two per 12 months. I have a Dutch passport.

Seems like I would have to do a border bounce regardless..

I would probably fly to Vientiane for my SETV, considering they seem to hand them out the easiest over there.

Thanks so much for your reply

Edited by TristanR

3 hours ago, TristanR said:

You just apply for a SETV at another embassy / consulate (or use a visa exempt at a land border). This situation does of course suck, but just because one tourist visa was denied, or they didn't let you in at one border checkpoint, this doesn't mean you can't enter Thailand anymore.

Edited by jackdd