Jetsetters Flock To Phuket

george

Jetsetters flock to Phuket

PHUKET: -- Over the course of the last year, Property Report Thailand has reported on the endless number of high-end projects going on up on the island, as well as the burgeoning marine industry.

At the same time, many questioned whether the island truly had the services and facilities to cater to the world’s high rollers.

We’ve now dug up proof that yes, indeed, they are coming. Statistics from the Phuket International Airport state that over the course of 2006, 840 private jets arrived on the island. The top month for arrivals was December, when 115 private jets touched down.

And, while many of those were undoubtedly visiting the island for tourism purposes, it’s safe to assume the island’s growing portfolio of luxury property developments is also attracting the wealthy. Although it might be a coincidence, it is worth noting the Phuket Provincial Land Department reported the highest number of land registrations in December of 2006 – 659 – worth a total of Bt653 million. October, meanwhile, experienced the lowest number of private jet arrivals (10) and the lowest number of land registrations (258).

Among the most notable and pricey developments attracting attention are Jumeirah Barama Bay Private Island Resort, which features 65 lavishly appointed deluxe pool villas each with a private infinity pool and Jacuzzi and 12 three-bedroom luxury residential villas. On the Hunter Sotheby’s website, a five-bedroom villa in the development is listed at a cool Bt120 million.

Trisara, meanwhile, features 33 individual pool villas plus 12 privately-owned residential villas. Prices for a three-bedroom villa here are listed at Bt209 million.

And then of course there’s the Amanpuri, Phuket’s first truly luxurious property, which opened in 1988. This development comprises 40 pavilions and 30 Thai villa homes interspersed throughout a coconut grove. Villas here are rarely offered for re-sale, however rents go as high as US$7,800 a night.

Meanwhile, another sign has emerged to signal that Phuket is becoming a jetsetter’s playground: Ferrari and Maserati are rumoured to be opening a fully-serviced outlet in Phuket City.

-- property-report.com 2007-02-21

-- property-report.com 2007-02-21

...and a real estate industry newsletter wouldn't lie would they? :o

My thoughts entirely.

Some third rate comic with little or no real readership, releases something like this once or twice a month, and the mainstream media oblige by spreading the propaganda.

It's called talking the market up. Statistics could mean anything.

Edited by Dupont

I am curious as to how foreigners can own these--especially the 'non-condos, like villas.

I, of course, don't have anywhere near the kind of money that these folks do, but I wouldn't risk it in a home in Thailand right now with the current anti-foreign feeling going on.

I am curious as to how foreigners can own these--especially the 'non-condos, like villas.

I, of course, don't have anywhere near the kind of money that these folks do, but I wouldn't risk it in a home in Thailand right now with the current anti-foreign feeling going on.

I have been asking the same question for a long time. I believe there are many

Russians who are now proud owners of houses in Phuket and there must've been

a few porkies told to these people to get them to buy ? you know assurances

about not having to worry about legal matters and I would not like to be in the shoes

of some of those that may find their Russian clients have done their dough ? :o

Last time I flew on Tiger Airways there was a lengthy article in their in-flight magazine about how the the property market for foreigners was booming in Phuket (houses, villas, etc.). I was tempted to write a letter to the editor of the magazine asking when they were going to run the second part of the article, explaining how foreigners owning land in Thailand was technically illegal, but figured that they didn't want to hear about that... :o

well i teach english at a prestigous school and love phuket.
I taught English well at a prevaricator's school, and loved to Phuket.

Not sure if these prestigous [sic] tourists will love Phuket after this fiasco:

Asian invasion overwhelms immigration

The Phuket holidays of about 2,200 East Asian tourists got off to a slow start early yesterday morning, when they were forced to wait hours to clear immigration at Phuket Airport.

Twelve flights landed in little over an hour, overwhelming the immigration officers on duty. It took officials until past 4am, some three-and-a-half hours after the first flight landed, to process the crowd of holiday-makers.

The first of the flights landed at 12.30am, followed by 11 more charter and scheduled flights from China and South Korea, landing at about five-minute intervals.

Airport official Weera Thippayathad said the delays at immigration were exacerbated by the inability of most of the visitors to speak or read English or complete arrival cards.

The per-person processing time took much longer than the usual 30-40 seconds, because officers had to complete the forms for them, he said.

The eight immigration officers on duty were assisted by 10 airport staff called in to help with the mammoth task.

"The problem lies with the landing slots allocated by the Civil Aviation Department, which is responsible for flight scheduling. I don't understand why they arranged for so many flights to land in such a short period of time," Weera added.

At 2pm, Phuket Governor Niran Kanlayanimit chaired an urgent meeting to discuss ways to prevent a recurrence and instructed Phuket Airport and its Immigration Office to inform the Civil Aviation Department of the problem.

At the meeting, Phuket Airport Immigration Office superintendent Pol Colonel Surasak Atthapanyawanich urged the Tourism Authority of Thailand to make sure that tour operators helped their customers fill out immigration forms.

Phuket Gazette

well i teach english at a prestigous school and love phuket.
I taught English well at a prevaricator's school, and loved to Phuket.

Not sure if these prestigous [sic] tourists will love Phuket after this fiasco:

Asian invasion overwhelms immigration

The Phuket holidays of about 2,200 East Asian tourists got off to a slow start early yesterday morning, when they were forced to wait hours to clear immigration at Phuket Airport.

Twelve flights landed in little over an hour, overwhelming the immigration officers on duty. It took officials until past 4am, some three-and-a-half hours after the first flight landed, to process the crowd of holiday-makers.

The first of the flights landed at 12.30am, followed by 11 more charter and scheduled flights from China and South Korea, landing at about five-minute intervals.

Airport official Weera Thippayathad said the delays at immigration were exacerbated by the inability of most of the visitors to speak or read English or complete arrival cards.

The per-person processing time took much longer than the usual 30-40 seconds, because officers had to complete the forms for them, he said.

The eight immigration officers on duty were assisted by 10 airport staff called in to help with the mammoth task.

"The problem lies with the landing slots allocated by the Civil Aviation Department, which is responsible for flight scheduling. I don't understand why they arranged for so many flights to land in such a short period of time," Weera added.

At 2pm, Phuket Governor Niran Kanlayanimit chaired an urgent meeting to discuss ways to prevent a recurrence and instructed Phuket Airport and its Immigration Office to inform the Civil Aviation Department of the problem.

At the meeting, Phuket Airport Immigration Office superintendent Pol Colonel Surasak Atthapanyawanich urged the Tourism Authority of Thailand to make sure that tour operators helped their customers fill out immigration forms.

Phuket Gazette

very unlike Thailand at all to have lack of planning and foresight :o

Meanwhile, another sign has emerged to signal that Phuket is becoming a jetsetter’s playground

Is Phuket air still in business?? :o

I have also heard from the some real estate mongers, that developers from Hawaii are scouting out Phuket for developement locations. For those who want the rich to come to Phuket and live, look no further than Hawaii for the future results. If the rich have their way, they will block off the beaches to keep others away, with a few entrance ways for the Thais to come in and work for 100 Baht a day. And for the middle class tourists, you'll find $200 a day rooms similiar to the ones in Bangkok for $25. After another 10 years, the island will be off limits to those that don't own property, except for house hold help. As for Thai culture and attitude, you'll have to go to Issan to a cultural village to see what it used to be like......... Be careful what you wish for and who you welcome. As for us foreigners who are here now, be thoughtful for what culture and habits you bring. We should be mindful not to destroy what we came here for, in exchange for what to the rich is pocket money. BB

Meanwhile, another sign has emerged to signal that Phuket is becoming a jetsetter’s playground

Is Phuket air still in business?? :o

I have also heard from the some real estate mongers, that developers from Hawaii are scouting out Phuket for developement locations. For those who want the rich to come to Phuket and live, look no further than Hawaii for the future results. If the rich have their way, they will block off the beaches to keep others away, with a few entrance ways for the Thais to come in and work for 100 Baht a day. And for the middle class tourists, you'll find $200 a day rooms similiar to the ones in Bangkok for $25. After another 10 years, the island will be off limits to those that don't own property, except for house hold help. As for Thai culture and attitude, you'll have to go to Issan to a cultural village to see what it used to be like......... Be careful what you wish for and who you welcome. As for us foreigners who are here now, be thoughtful for what culture and habits you bring. We should be mindful not to destroy what we came here for, in exchange for what to the rich is pocket money. BB

It's already happening on Bang Tao beach where I live.The only access to the middle of the beach by car has just been sold for luxury villa development.They have just started charging 50 baht a car to access the beach until they start building then I suppose it will be blocked completely.The next access is about 3K's away but that is now having the Beach Club resort built on it so it's another 5K's up to Layan for a swim.Bit of a pain when you use the beach everyday.

Don't be surprised when Thais flip out or try to rip you off when farangs own all beach front property and toomany businesses in the area. What will be left for them in twenty yeas from now?

A lot of what goes on can be blamed on land offices where I can guess no one drives a motorcycle to work, check the parking lot out back. :o

I have also heard from the some real estate mongers, that developers from Hawaii are scouting out Phuket for developement locations.

I've heard of fishmongers and ironmongers, but "real estate mongers", that's new. I like it - sort of grimey!

Anyway, if you look around Phuket you will also find a great deal of development going on that is targetted at the Thai market. Modern shop-houses and small bungalows. The Phuket Thais are also moving up in the world on the back of foreign tourism and investment despite the investment and real estate markets being caught up in the government's crossfire in its war against Mr. T.

Don't be surprised when Thais flip out or try to rip you off when farangs own all beach front property and toomany businesses in the area. What will be left for them in twenty yeas from now?

A lot of what goes on can be blamed on land offices where I can guess no one drives a motorcycle to work, check the parking lot out back. :o

Thais have been flipping out at foreign tourists for many a year, hardly a new statement!

as for property, many projects that are being built in phuket are owned by thai companies listed on the thai stock exchange. Thais will certainly not be rioting down the beaches for more jobs when these same beach projects are managed by their lovely rich and greedy elite.

Thais have been flipping out at foreign tourists for many a year, hardly a new statement!

as for property, many projects that are being built in phuket are owned by thai companies listed on the thai stock exchange. Thais will certainly not be rioting down the beaches for more jobs when these same beach projects are managed by their lovely rich and greedy elite.

Exaclty - and who is it selling the land in the first place?

You cant sell up for a fortune and then complain a year or two down the line.

If you dont want to sell the land your grandpappy left you, then dont sell it. Keep it as a coconut plantation. No one is forcing Thais to sell up.