Growing mushrooms

Hi,

I have noticed that many Thais like eating mushrooms, and particularly where I live (Isaan), they are quite expensive when fresh. Has anyone tried growing them, either indoors or outdoors? If it's not that hard I could get the Mrs doing it to make a few baht.

Cheers. 

I have grown mushrooms in Sisaket quite successfully but not profitably. Like most things it is a matter of marketing and scale. You will get sales in the village but past that, not easy. Check out that side first before committing to much more than a bit of fun. Forget volume markets like the supermarkets as their requirements will be strict and the investment will be considerable. If there is a big farm near you then it will be almost impossible to establish large volumes. Distribution of a few kilos a day will eat any profit as locals will only buy at farm gate prices and in small quantities.

Give it a go to feed yourself and a few locals first. You can also buy prepared grow bags and also spawn stock which you bag yourself to give things a try first. 

Just looking to see how hard it is, so that she can earn maybe 200 baht extra here and there. I need some info on what substrates, temperatures and humidities are best and how to get hold of everything including the spores. 

Archived