Single entry visa + re-entry permit - Use permit when?

On the rear of the visa application form from the London UK Embassy appears (in somewhat confusing English) the following words:

"SINGLE" means single entry.  You can only use a visa once.  If you wish to leave and re-enter Thailand while your stay permit is still valid, You need to apply for "re-entry" at port of departure to re-enter Thailand otherwise your single visa and a stay permit will be invalid.  "Multiple" means multiple entries.  You can seek entry into Thailand multiple times.

I'm trying to understand why and when you could use a re-entry permit with a tourist visa.  Is it something like if you'd used say 10 days out of your 60 on a tourist visas, that you can preserve the 50 for when you come back if you've got the re-entry stamp and you are still within the three month original validity of the visa?  Has anyone ever taken advantage of this pearl of wisdom?  Has anyone tried to get a multiple re-entry permit for their tourist visa for some strange reason?

Ideas about this statement's meaning and use anyone?  Here's how the wording appears on the form:

A-Win1.jpg.6245e0706daaaba7d79d7adc06325be2.jpg

You can get a re-entry permit that will keep the remainder of 60 day entry valid when your entered the country. When enter the country you would be stamped in to the date the 60 days end.

For example if you entered and then left on the 10th  day and stayed out of the country for 10 days you would be stamped in for the remaining 40 days that can still be extended for 30 days.

There are not many cases where using a re entry with a tourist visa makes sense.

One example situation in which a re entry permit would make sense, but this is nothing common:

You plan to be one week in Thailand, then a week in Vietnam and then back to Thailand for 2.5 months.

In this case it would make sense to get a tourist visa before your trip and get a re entry permit before you leave to Vietnam so you can stay another 2.5 months in Thailand without having to leave Thailand again and without having to apply for a Thai tourist visa in Vietnam

On 1/7/2019 at 6:41 PM, jackdd said:

There are not many cases where using a re entry with a tourist visa makes sense.

One example situation in which a re entry permit would make sense, but this is nothing common:

You plan to be one week in Thailand, then a week in Vietnam and then back to Thailand for 2.5 months.

In this case it would make sense to get a tourist visa before your trip and get a re entry permit before you leave to Vietnam so you can stay another 2.5 months in Thailand without having to leave Thailand again and without having to apply for a Thai tourist visa in Vietnam

Would a tourist visa not give a 60 day stay, so a 30 day extension must be applied for?

This would give me a bit more flexibility on a 3 month stay but can I check that I have the logistics correct.

Obtain SETV and enter as usual. Get a 60 day stamp and the visa is marked Used.

Get a re entry permit for 1,000b from local immigration.

Fly out and back in whenever but on return the date stamp is the same as when entering originally?

Thanks

22 minutes ago, Greenwich Boy said:

This would give me a bit more flexibility on a 3 month stay but can I check that I have the logistics correct.

Obtain SETV and enter as usual. Get a 60 day stamp and the visa is marked Used.

Get a re entry permit for 1,000b from local immigration.

Fly out and back in whenever but on return the date stamp is the same as when entering originally?

Thanks

yes, but you could extend by 30 days in the last week of the permission to stay 1,900 baht, at local immigration office, giving you a total of 90days from first entry

14 minutes ago, steve187 said:

yes, but you could extend by 30 days in the last week of the permission to stay 1,900 baht, at local immigration office, giving you a total of 90days from first entry

Think I have it now. Would mean I can visit another country any time after arriving without 'losing' any days and can extend at the end.

Can I assume that if flying back in with a re entry permit the 'flight out in 30 days' does not apply?

5 minutes ago, Greenwich Boy said:

Think I have it now. Would mean I can visit another country any time after arriving without 'losing' any days and can extend at the end.

Can I assume that if flying back in with a re entry permit the 'flight out in 30 days' does not apply?

The days you are out of the country would be lost from the 60 day entry since as stated you get stamped into to the country to the date the 60 day entry ends.

No need for a ticket out of the country when using the re-entry permit.