Where can I buy 'Tums', chewable antacid-Calcium Carbonate

how241

Anyone know where I can buy or order  'Tums',  chewable antacid-Calcium Carbonate.  They are usually fruit flavored and come in 500mg-1,000mg.  I  have looked around in Pattaya but haven't found them.  They work the best and fastest for me. In the USA,  you can buy them without a prescription and can be found everywhere. The only Calcium Carbonate I see for sale is vitamin pills and they are many times the Tums price. Also they would need to be crushed into a power form. I don't want to try and order from the USA or Amazon due to potential import/customs issues.  Thanks for any help.

7 minutes ago, madmen said:

If this is for heart burn then save your money. Baking soda available in supermarkets is very effective. Just a teaspoon in a glass of water 

Google it 

Thanks !   I have tried that when I ran out of Tums.  It does work well and is very cheap but i didn't like adding all that salt into my diet. I find if I drink 3-4 shots of vodka quickly I will get a 'hot stomach'.  If I chew 1 Tum and it is gone in 1-2 minutes and tastes good too.

They started selling chewable antacid-Calcium Carbonate at pharmacies in LOS a few years ago (very cheaply). I'm guessing they still do. I much prefer Tums and Rolaids, but the Thai stuff is better than nothing. Before that, I could not get it in Thailand and had friends bring Tums from the USA. 

Edited by Ulysses G.

3 minutes ago, Ulysses G. said:

They started selling chewable antacid-Calcium Carbonate at pharmacies in LOS a few years ago (very cheaply). I'm guessing they still do. I much prefer Tums and Rolaids, but the Thai stuff is better than nothing. Before that, I could not get it in Thailand and had friends bring Tums from the USA. 

Thanks. Do you remember the name or location where you last saw them have this ?  I will have to try and hunt again to see if I can find it. A few years ago I looked everywhere and had no luck in finding it. I also had a friend bring me some from the USA. Thanks

TUMS brand is not available here.

Of the brands locally available best in my experience is Gaviscon, which you can find everywhere both as tablets and liquid. It contains calcium carbonate  as well  as sodium alginate and sodium bicarbonate.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Of the brands locally available best in my experience is Gaviscon, which you can find everywhere both as tablets and liquid. It contains calcium carbonate  as well  as sodium alginate and sodium bicarbonate.

And as I understand is the same as uk version which is superior to the one they sell in USA.

3 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Thanks !!!   I will check out the Gaviscon.

Gaviscon ingredients:  https://www.gaviscon.com/products/tablets/

Regular Strength Original

Active Ingredient (in each tablet): Aluminum hydroxide 80mg. Magnesium carbonate 14.2mg

Inactive ingredients: Alginic acid, calcium stearate, flavor, sodium bicarbonate, starch (may contain corn starch) and sucrose.

Other Information: Each tablet contains: magnesium 5mg, sodium 21mg. Store at up to 25°C (77°F) in a dry place

--------------------------

Found at random:  Antacids can cause constipation and diarrhea. Look for brands that contain calcium carbonate, magnesium hydroxide, and aluminum hydroxide to reduce these side effects. Don’t take antacids with magnesium if you have chronic kidney disease. Some antacids have a lot of salt, so you should take them only for occasional heartburn.

Magnesium hydroxide is a common component of antacids, such as milk of magnesia, as well as laxatives.

Under the generic name "algeldrate", aluminium hydroxide is used as an antacid in humans and animals (mainly cats and dogs). It is preferred over other alternatives such as sodium bicarbonate because Al(OH)3, being insoluble, does not increase the pH of stomach above 7 and hence, does not trigger secretion of excess acid by the stomach. Brand names include Alu-Cap, Aludrox, Gaviscon or Pepsamar. It reacts with excess acid in the stomach, reducing the acidity of the stomach content, which may relieve the symptoms of ulcers, heartburn or dyspepsia. Such products can cause constipation, because the aluminium ions inhibit the contractions of smooth muscle cells in the gastrointestinal tract, slowing peristalsis and lengthening the time needed for stool to pass through the colon. Some such products (such as Maalox) are formulated to minimize such effects through the inclusion of equal concentrations of magnesium hydroxide or magnesium carbonate, which have counterbalancing laxative effects.

• Thanks 1

I wonder why Thailand doesn't sell Tums, as they are popular all over the world.  There must be a reason.  You can buy the same calcium carbonate in the form of a vitamin pill. You could crush up that pill for the same effect but it becomes very expensive. 

3 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Believe that is what most use Tums for - Vodka stomach use do not believe is part of their advertising.

What are tum tums used for?
This medication is used to treat symptoms caused by too much stomach  acid as heartburn, upset stomach, or indigestion. It is an antacid that works by lowering the amount of acid in the stomach.

May I be shot down in flames!

As far as I understand it,the various ant-acids relieve pain above the oesophagus. 

Insufficient (yes, INsufficiency) in acidity in the stomach causes the oesophagus to remain open (for some obscure pathological reason) and so the still very acid contents of the stomach pass up into the gullet.

Never mind.

I tried apple cider vinegar, 1 table spoonful daily diluted in mineral water, and I haven't had a repetition of the problem for 18 months now, so at least for me, it works.

Worth a try, and the vinegar is supposed to be good for all sorts of other things as well.

2 hours ago, cooked said:

May I be shot down in flames!

As far as I understand it,the various ant-acids relieve pain above the oesophagus. 

Insufficient (yes, INsufficiency) in acidity in the stomach causes the oesophagus to remain open (for some obscure pathological reason) and so the still very acid contents of the stomach pass up into the gullet.

Never mind.

I tried apple cider vinegar, 1 table spoonful daily diluted in mineral water, and I haven't had a repetition of the problem for 18 months now, so at least for me, it works.

Worth a try, and the vinegar is supposed to be good for all sorts of other things as well.

Not "above the esophagus".

They relieve pain in the esophagus and in the stomach.

They do this by reducing the acidity of stomach fluids. Some, liek Tums and Gaviscon, do this just briefly. Others, like PPIs, do it round the clock. There is indeed  a price to be paid for doing the latter, but for soem people it is necessary.

• Like 2