Good Restaurants

Thomas J

I am a U.S.A citizen applying for Retirement Visa.  I have been in Thailand for about 2 months and tried several restaurants.  Like all trial and error some were good others were not.  Also, what I am finding has been geared more to the tourists who visit Pattaya as such I thought the prices in many cases were on the high side.  I live in the Huay Yai area but routinely travel into the Jomtien Beach area.  Can someone give me suggestions on places to try both for Thai Food as well as Western Food?  Thank you in advance. 

16 hours ago, Swiss1960 said:

Try TripAdvisor, loads of restaurants of all different types and prices, including customer reviews. No need for an account, just download the app

Sent from my SM-A730F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Yes I have used Trip Advisor for a number of the restaurants that I have already tried, but it is geared as its name implies as people on a Trip not a local so it is tourist oriented and priced accordingly.  Also I become suspect to most of those sites since the reviews can be manipulated by shill reviews posted by the restaurant owners and employees.   

Well, I live here and still use TripAdvisor from time to time for finding new places.

For more local and cheaper options, just drive around, i.e. along Jomtien Beach road and stop at any of the dozends of choices. Most can be either hit or miss, depending of the cooks last night's sleep...

23 minutes ago, Swiss1960 said:

Well, I live here and still use TripAdvisor from time to time for finding new places.

For more local and cheaper options, just drive around, i.e. along Jomtien Beach road and stop at any of the dozends of choices. Most can be either hit or miss, depending of the cooks last night's sleep...

Well I was trying to get some experience from those living here rather than just driving up and down the street and getting the hit or miss.  That is why I posted. 

Most restaurants in Central Pattaya are overpriced tourist traps. Try visiting the Darkside (East Pattaya). A few half decent western style restaurants there. From Huay Yai, it's not too much of a shlep to Pepper and Salt at the top of Soi Khao Talo.

4 hours ago, Thomas J said:

Well I was trying to get some experience from those living here rather than just driving up and down the street and getting the hit or miss.  That is why I posted. 

As already stated it depends on which chef is working etc, hit and miss 

Kiss; Jomtien 2nd Road opposite Soi 5; is cheap and cheerful. My better half loves their steamed whole fish with garlic and chilli dressing. It is almost all eaten, only the tail is left. I reccommend their cod and chips. I haven't come accross better cod in Pattaya/Jomtien. Immigration is close by so you will find yourself in the area from time to time.

If you are a bit homesick you must visit Richman Poorman on Beach Road end of Soi 9. American owned and US sized food portions, US sports on the telly. The apple pie; served hot; is to die for. Their ribs are famous in the area, my Thai girlfriend doesn't eat much Western food but makes an exception for them. Prices are very reasonable. 

I am sure you will get many more suggestions later on today.

Bon appetit.

14 hours ago, Thomas J said:

Yes I have used Trip Advisor for a number of the restaurants that I have already tried, but it is geared as its name implies as people on a Trip not a local so it is tourist oriented and priced accordingly. 

Pattaya itself is entirely geared to tourism, be it short or long term, so hardly surprising that just about every restaurant here is also tourist orientated.

If you said what sort of restaurant you are interested in you might get better answer. "Thai" and "not-Thai" is not really precise enough. And an idea of your budget would be useful also. And first read the whole of the 273 page local restaurant review thread:

Like others have mentioned refer to the Hit and Run Restaurant thread in this forum. 

Best value for decent food in Pattaya is likely at the Pier 21 food court in Terminal 21.  I can fill up for 60 baht at my Chicken Biryani stand.  45 baht without the second roti.  Bring your own drink if budget is tight.

You can also use an app like eatigo to get great discounts.

3 minutes ago, AlexCanada said:

Like others have mentioned refer to the Hit and Run Restaurant thread in this forum. 

Best value for decent food in Pattaya is likely at the Pier 21 food court in Terminal 21.  I can fill up for 60 baht at my Chicken Biryani stand.  45 baht without the second roti.  Bring your own drink if budget is tight.

You can also bring your own food and go round the other diners with a paper cup asking for donations.

Yes, the O.P. wasn't nearly specific enough to expect to get a useful response for him.

I will try this about "western" restaurants for the O.P. 

-- what specific dishes are you looking for?

-- what are some specific examples of western restaurants that you like back home?

-- which local restaurants serving western food did you like and what specific dishes?

-- did you mean to limit this to Jomtien?

To add, although the O.P. didn't mention it so perhaps he has no interest, to me the rising glory of the greater Pattaya restaurant scene is largely about NEITHER western or Thai food restaurants. Rather, it's about more international cuisine, what Americans call "ethnic" restaurants.

For examples --

Mexican

Iranian

Israeli

Malaysian

Indian (veg and non-veg of various regions)

Chinese (different regions represented on menus as well especially Sichuan)

Every city in Thailand has good Thai food at many locations from street food to high end. Pattaya does indeed have more than it's share of tourist trap Thai restaurants. Dumbed down overpriced food. The kind that most Thai people either wouldn't eat at all or will only eat at if someone else is paying. 

Usually decently priced western food is also a strength fueled largely by the diminishing western expat population and also tourists. 

The Pattaya area while not yet and possibly never a significant "foodie" destination overall presents an excellent and constantly improving food scene in all those areas (Thai, Western, and Ethnic/International).

People that love good food are not making a mistake moving here.

On 1/8/2019 at 9:17 PM, Spidey said:

My wife (Thai) and I both enjoy the Thai food at Surf Shack, junction of Soi 5/Beech Road, Jontien. 

are you sure you are not talking about the Surf Kitchen.  I can not find any restaurant called the Surf Shack.  The Surf Kitchen is right on Beach Road just down from the Thailand Immigration office. 

Archived