Too early for yearly marriage extension ?

Hi, if my extension based on marriage is due 14th April, but I have to depart Thailand around early Feb to the UK for a few months, it will be too early to apply for my year extension right ?(as you can apply 4-6weeks beforehand).  Is my only  option then, to apply for a new marriage visa from the UK? I've been doing yearly extensions from within Thailand for the last 4 consecutive years, so would be a pain to start again. Any advice? Thanks

3 minutes ago, mja1906 said:

Hi, if my extension based on marriage is due 14th April, but I have to depart Thailand around early Feb to the UK for a few months, it will be too early to apply for my year extension right ?(as you can apply 4-6weeks beforehand).  Is my only  option then, to apply for a new marriage visa from the UK? I've been doing yearly extensions from within Thailand for the last 4 consecutive years, so would be a pain to start again. Any advice? Thanks

Go to your immigration office now, explain the situation to them showing your tickets, there is a chance you can renew early.

If they agreed to do it before you leave in February you would still have the 30 day under consideration problem unless they let you do it this month.

How many months will you be gone? They might let you apply for a 60 day extension of your one year extension early. If they did it you would need a new re-entry permit so the 60 days included in it.

If not possible you would need to get a single entry non-o visa before returning so you could apply for a new extension.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mja1906 said:

Hi, if my extension based on marriage is due 14th April, but I have to depart Thailand around early Feb to the UK for a few months, it will be too early to apply for my year extension right ?(as you can apply 4-6weeks beforehand).

Yes. You’ve no chance applying that early.

5 hours ago, mja1906 said:

Is my only  option then, to apply for a new marriage visa from the UK? I've been doing yearly extensions from within Thailand for the last 4 consecutive years, so would be a pain to start again. Any advice? Thanks

The paperwork is, usually, the same for renewals as it is for first time applications — as it’s effectively a new application each year — so starting again isn’t a pain other than getting a new visa.

And getting a new visa in the UK is very easy. You just need your marriage certificate and a copy of your wife’s ID. You can apply by post to the London embassy and your passport/new visa will be returned within a week.

You’ll be granted 90 days on re-entry and can apply for the extension within the last “4-6 weeks” as before.

3 hours ago, elviajero said:

The paperwork is, usually, the same for renewals as it is for first time applications — as it’s effectively a new application each year — so starting again isn’t a pain other than getting a new visa.

While the paperwork might be basically the same (you only need 3 months of seasoned money in a bank account instead of 2), it would mean you need to bring a witness again. In my case this was a serious pain as we had to have a friend of my wife's family, who runs a business here, to come over and wait a few hours while she had better things to do.

50 minutes ago, Bob12345 said:

While the paperwork might be basically the same (you only need 3 months of seasoned money in a bank account instead of 2), it would mean you need to bring a witness again. In my case this was a serious pain as we had to have a friend of my wife's family, who runs a business here, to come over and wait a few hours while she had better things to do.

You don’t need 3 months of seasoned money. The first and all subsequent extensions only require 2 months.

Not all offices insist on witnesses and those that do usually only seek a witness and/or home visits when the applicant isn’t known to the office.

1 hour ago, elviajero said:

You don’t need 3 months of seasoned money. The first and all subsequent extensions only require 2 months.

Not all offices insist on witnesses and those that do usually only seek a witness and/or home visits when the applicant isn’t known to the office.

The first extension we did was the home visit, where we had our neighbors as witnesses, one a University Teacher, the other one is one of my wifes coworkers at the hospital who lives next to us. Wasn't much fanfare, he was pretty polite, and was in and out.