Non o for parent of Thai child

I have been in Thailand a few years on an Ed visa but now have a new baby and want to switch over to a non o visa.  Im having difficulty understanding which embassy is best for this and easy to get to from Chiang Mai.  I don’t have 400k in my Thai bank account and don’t transfer money monthly, however, I do make periodic transfers of around 150k baht every few months which would average to more than 40k a month.  I am flexible to make monthly deposits if that is the answer.  I can prove income in the US to my bank in the form of monthly deposits from tenants and the US gov but do not get w2 income statements.  I am understanding that I can only get a 90 day non o and then apply for the yearly once back in Chiang Mai?  So any help would be appreciated and sorry if I am being redundant but I’ve looked over the forums without being able to hone in on solid answers yet.  My name is on the birth certificate for the Thai child.  

If you want a 1 year extension as a parent you need;

1.  To make a transfer every month. I recommend you send at least 40K every month.

2.  If you’re not married to your child’s mother you need to legalise your parenthood. Being named in the birth certificate isn’t enough. You would need to apply at the local court.

Vientaine, Laos would probably be the best place to apply for the SE non ‘O’. They will accept the birth certificate (no legalisation required), and no financials.

Edited by elviajero
  • Thanks 1

If you are not married to your child's mother you will have to have your parenthood legitimized to apply for a one year extension of stay at immigration. Topic here about the legitimization process.  https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/381917-how-to-gain-parental-rights-as-a-father/

You could get single entry non-o visas until you do the legitimization. You can extend each 90 day entry from one for 60 days to visit your child.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

If you are not married to your child's mother you will have to have your parenthood legitimized to apply for a one year extension of stay at immigration. Topic here about the legitimization process.  https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/381917-how-to-gain-parental-rights-as-a-father/

You could get single entry non-o visas until you do the legitimization. You can extend each 90 day entry from one for 60 days to visit your child.

Thanks for the link. 

Just one question, since I would rather not go through the whole 26 pages of the thread:

How long does the legitimization process at the amphoe take, on average? 

7 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

How long does the legitimization process at the amphoe take, on average? 

If the Amphoe will do it it could be done while you wait. For many people it cannot be done since their child is not old enough to meet the requirement Amphoes have with many wanting the child to be at least 7 years old.

22 hours ago, Ajvat37 said:

I am flexible to make monthly deposits if that is the answer.  

It is, for the new method of qualifying by income for an extension based on being a child's father.  If you can get legalized parental rights from your amphoe, start with a Single-Entry Non-O, then apply for a 1-year showing the deposits. 

But ...

58 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If the Amphoe will do it it could be done while you wait. For many people it cannot be done since their child is not old enough to meet the requirement Amphoes have with many wanting the child to be at least 7 years old.

So, if there will be a delay in getting legitimization done (needed to satisfy immigration), your best bet is a 1-Year Multi-Entry Non-O Visa from Penang, which is the only nearby location where you can get a 1-Year-ME as a father of a Thai child (vs husband of Thai wife). 

They require financials there, and the US Embassy in Bangkok no longer issues income-letters - but, you might be able to use a general affidavit from the US-Embassy in Bangkok or Kuala Lumpur, since you will be dealing with the MFA - not "immigration."

I believe I recall that an income-doc from the USA's KL Embassy was usuable with a Thai consulate (don't remember if it was the KL Thai Consulate or Penang Thai Consulate).  

Here is one using "money in the bank" - but gives an idea:

• Like 1

22 hours ago, elviajero said:

If you want a 1 year extension as a parent you need;

1.  To make a transfer every month. I recommend you send at least 40K every month.

2.  If you’re not married to your child’s mother you need to legalise your parenthood. Being named in the birth certificate isn’t enough. You would need to apply at the local court.

Vientaine, Laos would probably be the best place to apply for the SE non ‘O’. They will accept the birth certificate (no legalisation required), and no financials.

This information is not complete. You can always have your legitamacy documented if your child is old enough (7 but sometimes younger) with the mother of the child if she is willing at the local Amphur. Simple and cheap process. This may not apply in your case (OP) but for the sake of complete information. They may also accept legitamised blood test which clarify's your paternity, you sould have to ask.

4 hours ago, JackThompson said:

It is, for the new method of qualifying by income for an extension based on being a child's father.  If you can get legalized parental rights from your amphoe, start with a Single-Entry Non-O, then apply for a 1-year showing the deposits. 

But ...

So, if there will be a delay in getting legitimization done (needed to satisfy immigration), your best bet is a 1-Year Multi-Entry Non-O Visa from Penang, which is the only nearby location where you can get a 1-Year-ME as a father of a Thai child (vs husband of Thai wife). 

They require financials there, and the US Embassy in Bangkok no longer issues income-letters - but, you might be able to use a general affidavit from the US-Embassy in Bangkok or Kuala Lumpur, since you will be dealing with the MFA - not "immigration."

I believe I recall that an income-doc from the USA's KL Embassy was usuable with a Thai consulate (don't remember if it was the KL Thai Consulate or Penang Thai Consulate).  

Here is one using "money in the bank" - but gives an idea:

As far as I know, Penang will only give you a 90 days non O visa, that you will be able to extend for one year, at your local immigration office. 

Penang won't give you a one year multiple entry... as the father of a Thai child, that is... 

29 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

As far as I know, Penang will only give you a 90 days non O visa, that you will be able to extend for one year, at your local immigration office. 

Penang won't give you a one year multiple entry... as the father of a Thai child, that is... 

Do you know for a fact that this is a recent change? It is generally accepted, based on many reports, that a multiple Non O as parent of a Thai child is available in Penang (and only Penang among nearby consulates). You must be able to show 400,000 baht in the bank. Sometimes, Penang has been reported as only giving a single Non O on first application, but a multiple Non O when you apply again.

[Kuala Lumpur will not give a multiple Non O to a parent. Does anyone know for sure the policy in Kota Bharu?]

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

Penang won't give you a one year multiple entry... as the father of a Thai child, that is..

Yes they will if you can show 400k baht in a bank or proof of 40k baht income or even a combination of the 2.

• Like 1

On 1/9/2019 at 1:19 PM, ubonjoe said:

Just a as a matter of interest Joe what happens when the child reaches the age of 20 can you still get a non Im o to take care of the now 20 year old child

14 minutes ago, salavan said:

Just a as a matter of interest Joe what happens when the child reaches the age of 20 can you still get a non Im o to take care of the now 20 year old child

The police order does not have any age limit for the extension based upon being the parent of a That but some immigration offices say 20 is the maximum age. There should be no limit since you will be the parent forever.

There is a line in the order that states if you are over the age 50 you can request an extension to be supported by your child. But I have never seen a report of anybody doing it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BritTim said:

Do you know for a fact that this is a recent change? It is generally accepted, based on many reports, that a multiple Non O as parent of a Thai child is available in Penang (and only Penang among nearby consulates). You must be able to show 400,000 baht in the bank. Sometimes, Penang has been reported as only giving a single Non O on first application, but a multiple Non O when you apply again.

[Kuala Lumpur will not give a multiple Non O to a parent. Does anyone know for sure the policy in Kota Bharu?]

I was down to the Consulate in Kota Bharu just a few weeks ago. They only give a single entry Non-O based upon being the Father of a Thai child. They want to see house book, birth certificate (marriage certificate if married), and financial proof. Pick up at 2 p.m. the following day. Closed from 12 to 2 for lunch. Closed Fridays and Saturdays. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, BritTim said:

Here is a screenshot taken right now on Penang consulate website. 

Check what they say down the page below "visa fee"... 

They use the same form as the embassy in KL. 

Screenshot_20190111-073723.jpg

Edited by Brunolem

5 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

Here is a screenshot taken right now on Penang consulate website. 

They did that because for some reason they do not want to post their actual requirements. Before they changed it to the KL website it led you to the consular affairs department website in Thai.

It has been confirmed by many posts on this forum they will do a multiple entry non-o visa in Penang if can show the financial proof. Contact one of the agents there and ask them.

The police order does not have any age limit for the extension based upon being the parent of a That but some immigration offices say 20 is the maximum age. There should be no limit since you will be the parent forever.
There is a line in the order that states if you are over the age 50 you can request an extension to be supported by your child. But I have never seen a report of anybody doing it.
I am going to find soon as my son will turn 20 this coming May.
My last 1 year multiple entry based on Thai Child was issued last November 18 in the Thai Embassy in Yangon.
When I applied last November, i was expecting some comments in regard to the age of son but they did not. Instead, they asked me for the fisrt time a letter from a school certifying that my son attending school or university. That was the first time they ever asked me such documents (i got this visa from them for the last 6 years). They told me it was a new requirement from the new consul.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Brunolem said:

They do.

I had 2 experiences, the latest in november 2018 (my reports are online).

This is an interesting report. Did the Yangon embassy ask for financial proof?
Well, during the first 2 years I was getting this visa there, the only requirements was copy of the Thai birth certificate. On the 3 year, they asked me to provide copies of my bank book but without mentioning any minimum financial requirements. Honestly I didn't ask because my bank book has more than 400 or even 800k.
Last November, when I submitted my application, I asked them if there was a minimum financial requirements and they said no.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, christophe75 said:

They do.

I had 2 experiences, the latest in november 2018 (my reports are online).

Strange that they don't mention it on their website... in fact they show the opposite! 

Having said that, what is the advantage of a one year multiple entry visa, over a one year visa extension? 

With the one year visa, you have to go out of the country every 90 days, while with the one year extension, you only have to report at the local immigration... 

12 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

Having said that, what is the advantage of a one year multiple entry visa, over a one year visa extension?  

With the one year visa, you have to go out of the country every 90 days, while with the one year extension, you only have to report at the local immigration... 

Not having to deal with a bad immigration office, which throws up artificial roadblocks to force agent-use - a hellish experience being more likely if the extension is due to supporting Thai family (ironic, but true - been there, tried that).

If financials are required (as they are in Penang), still being able to use an embassy-declaration of one's income, even if holding a passport from the USA, AU, UK, Denmark (and possibly more to come, soon).