Local ATM charges

Hi,

Are there any banks that don't charge 220 Baht per foreign cash withdrawal?

I know I'll need to ask the bank but just asking here first if my (UK) bank will likely be receptive to increasing the daily withdrawal limit? The only times I need to use it is when I want substantially more at shortish notice.

Thanks

• Haha 1

You can do a "cash advance" with your foreign credit card at the counter inside a bank. Not all branches offer this (maybe some just don't know how to do it), some banks charge a fee for it (for example 180 baht at SCB, 200 at Krungsri), but some do it for free (for example UOB) and there is no 20/30k limit like at ATMs. But you have to make sure that your home bank doesn't charge you extra for it.

Edited by jackdd

I see there are couple of Bank of China ATM's, not many and a fair distance between them if one doesn't work but I'll try one when I'm in an area they have one. All seem to be central, nothing north of Don Muenag.

For the cash advance, that might be an option but I note you said credit card. I've never had a credit card so I'm not sure if it would work with my Debit card. Worth a try maybe.

Thanks.

On 1/10/2019 at 1:26 AM, jackdd said:

You can do a "cash advance" with your foreign credit card at the counter inside a bank. Not all branches offer this (maybe some just don't know how to do it), some banks charge a fee for it (for example 180 baht at SCB, 200 at Krungsri), but some do it for free (for example UOB) and there is no 20/30k limit like at ATMs. But you have to make sure that your home bank doesn't charge you extra for it.

The limit is often set by the card provider. Though in some cases, it is not the same as the ATM withdrawal limit.

On 1/10/2019 at 8:21 AM, theguyfromanotherforum said:

AEON 150b

Bank of China zero, but 50% of the time their ATM's don't work. 

Regarding BoC only Mastercard works in their ATMs here; foreign Visa cards do not work in BoC ATMs here.  Only a few branches exist in Thailand.  Plus, as you mentioned their ATMs are often empty/not working.   

You have two limits to consider when doing a counter withdrawal at at Thai bank using your foreign card:  (1) the daily/per transaction limit set by your home country card issuing bank, and (2) the Thai bank limit for a counter withdrawal using a foreign card..   At the Krungsri branch I do my cash advances at their limit is Bt150K at the counter if your card allows that much...and they charge a Bt200 fee for Visa but zero for Mastercard (fortunately I have a Mastercard).  Other banks vary at to whether they charge a counter fee or not....when I used Bangkok Bank they didn't charge any fee but it's been around 18 months since I've used them as I use Krungsri mostly now since it's more convenient/closer by.  Plus some banks will not do a counter withdrawal for a debit card (they just point you to their ATMs) but will for a credit card for some reason.  Variation is the spice of life plus TiT.