Must i have 90 day Non-Imm O before 1 yr extension?

Arrived on a tourist stamp, then got a 60 day visa, then went for a one year retire extension, with all the proper paperwork. Jumped all the hoops in CM and got a stamp.

2 weeks later went in for multi re-entry, thinking of course, good for one year.  But clerk stamped till end of March only! She already had my money, 3800 baht so i protested. After a long jaw-boning with the Immig chief ?, i got sorted and got my money back.

So, is it true that you cannot get a 1 yr Non-Imm O visa directly from a tourist visa?  But you can get a 90 day Non-Imm O having only a tourist visa.

My particular beef is that the Immig Officer did not tell me 90 days only.  I applied for the one year, she fussed and gabbed, but never told me i did not succeed.  

As said you need to convert to a non immigrant O visa entry - they are only issued for 90 days - before the 90 days expire you apply for a one year extension of stay using TM.7 at cost of 1,900 baht.  You must be permitted to stay until end of March so need to take financials to immigration with form and 2,000 baht to change to the O visa before mid March (believe you need 15 days remaining).

20 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

As said you need to convert to a non immigrant O visa entry - they are only issued for 90 days - before the 90 days expire you apply for a one year extension of stay using TM.7 at cost of 1,900 baht.

I think he has already gotten the 90 day entry from the non immigrant visa he applied for and thought he was applying for an extension.

I think he applied for it last month and he got the 90 day entry that ends in March.

A TM86 no longer required? i saw it in a thread from last year

DOCUMENTS TO BE SUBMITTED IN SUPPORT OF THE APPLICATION FOR VISA OR VISA STATUS ALTERATION (NON-O): FOR RETIREMENT PURPOSES.The application must be submitted more than 15 days before visa expiration and, in case of overstaying in Thailand, application could not be submitted.

1.1 Form TM.86 for the foreigner, who has Tourist and Transit Visa and applies for Visa Status Alteration and applies for non-immigrant visa; or

6 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

A TM86 no longer required?

Yes it is still required to do a change of visa status for a tourist visa entry.

A TM87 form is used to apply for a non immigrant visa for a visa exempt entry 

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

I think he has already gotten the 90 day entry from the non immigrant visa he applied for and thought he was applying for an extension.

I think he applied for it last month and he got the 90 day entry that ends in March.

Your right - thought he was getting the re entry on the 60 day visa entry but now see it was 2 weeks after getting the 90 day O entry (he thought it was one year).  

I agree about checking the stamps, which i did not do the first time at Immig.  But even if i had this would not have changed the situation. On that day, getting what i sought was impossible.  My ignorance.

IO told me to return with docs mid-Feb to get one year stamp, and re-entry same day. Hope all goes well for me.