McAfee Anti Virus

chiangrai

1 hour ago, chiangrai said:

remove it through the control panel "    thats great,

i can manage to do that.

how do i check if windows defender is running.

Check my link for removal instructions if yo have any problems. Windows will tell you if Defender is not running.

It's also worth running through Settings and disabling all of the Telemetry services that run counter to your beliefs.

There is a lot of Tracking and Data Collection going on by Default.

• Like 1

Your laptop came with the free trial version of McAfee. During this free trial, there is nothing you have to do but activate it. When the free trial is about to expire McAfee will ask you to renew it, to continue protecting your computer. If you do not renew, it will deactivate virus protection. You will get an "action required" notification from Windows. Windows Defender is then activated provide protection. You can check this by clicking on settings, then click on "Updates and Security". In new window click on "Windows Security", then "Open Windows Defender Security Center".  This opens a new window and a green checkmark shows what is protected. You can change to Windows Defender now or when the free McAfee trial ends. Another option is to download a free virus protection program. Myself, I use Avast Free along with Malwarebytes Free. I have CCleaner installed but rarely use it preferring to limit cookies using Google and Chrome settings.

• Like 1

I have been using McAfee anti-virus on My Asus Notebook for 3 years and I'm quite happy with it. Like in your case, it came with a free trial version pre-installed, and I continued with the paid version.
On my previous computer, I installed the free version of Avast, which is also a good reliable anti-virus.

"it came with windows 10 which has McAfee anti virus.

"What should i do,delete it"

Not "delete it", "delete them".  Get rid of Windows, run a variant of Linux, and you'll never have to worry about viruses and malware again (provided you're not a complete idiot).  You'll also get your word processor, spreadsheet, &c. for free.  Won't need antimalware software.  Won't need a firewall, either.

Windows is fundamentally insecure by design, and a terrible choice.

• Sad 1

The problem in Thailand is that internet providers do not ensure at all that the downloads are mainly virus free etc, unlike in the UK, where Virgin, Sky etc block downloads from problem sites.

So in effect all and any viruses etc will be sent to your computer in Thailand.

Free anti virus programmes do a reasonable job but you will get problems. (That's why they are free!)

The other problem with McAfee and other big name anti virus programmes are that they can be a damm nuisance all the time.

The choice is yours, I would suggest you see what is available online or in computer shops etc and read the reviews before buying!!

8 hours ago, polkop11 said:

If you are not fully protected a virus is a major problem

It's not possible to be "fully protected" with Microsoft Windows.

I recently had the misfortune to use a friend's Windows computer.  It was running Microsoft Security Essentials which didn't report any problems, though the browsers had clearly been hijacked by mail.ru-type malware.

Comodo was able to partially clear the malware, but something was left which Bitdefender could detect, but couldn't clean.  Malwarebytes and Panda Cloud Antivirus were ineffective.

No anti-malware programme is going to be 100% effective.  And with an incredible 350,000 new Windows viruses emerging every single day*, that's pretty much inevitable.

Source:  https://www.av-test.org/en/statistics/malware/