Bangkok could see artificial rain tomorrow

webfact

Bangkok could see artificial rain tomorrow

By The Nation

0754f0ab60771e1e048be68259aa3e62.jpeg

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) could attempt to create rain artificially over the city as early as Tuesday to curb the air pollution that’s threatening residents’ health.

Pralong Damrongthai, director of Pollution Control Department (PCD), said the timing would depend on humidity and wind direction.

He was attending a City Hall meeting of agencies on the threat posed by PM2.5, which refers to airborne particles smaller than 2.5 microns in diameter.

Also attending the meeting, according to BMA Environment Office director Chatree Wattanakhajorn, were representatives of the, Department of Royal Rainmaking and Agricultural Aviation, Traffic Police Division, Department of Land Transport and Mass Rapid Transit Authority of Thailand. 

Chatree said district offices had already launched short-term daily measures such as cleaning the roads, enforcing a ban on outdoor burning, pulling over vehicles emitting black exhaust fumes, strictly controlling dust from construction sites and having police untangle traffic jams more quickly. 

The PCD expects the air quality on Tuesday to remain poor and is advising residents to restrict their vehicle use especially if their vehicles belch black smoke and to refrain from burning refuse outdoors. 

Offending private vehicles can be reported to the Department of Land Transport at hotline 1584 and buses billowing black exhaust to the Bangkok Mass Transit Authority at 1348 or Traffic Police at 1197. 

For advice on health, call the PCD at 1422 or the Public Health Ministry at 1669.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30362204

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-01-14

Khaosod had an article here today in another thread that made mention of their artificial rain making plans, and the article said that the rain making part doesn't actually work!

One way or another, the air definitely could use a good washing...

Maybe it's time to get out the good old propeller boats and crank up their engines to start blowing the bad air out of town... It worked in the Chaophrya River during the great floods, after all...  :cheesy:

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Chatree said district offices had already launched short-term daily measures such as cleaning the roads, enforcing a ban on outdoor burning, pulling over vehicles emitting black exhaust fumes

This is so wrong 

It has to be permanent all over Thailand not only Bkk 

Big fines for burning and I mean big 

Confiscate their cars 

Wake up Thailand you killing yourself and tourists 

Chatree said district offices had already launched short-term daily measures such as cleaning the roads, enforcing a ban on outdoor burning, pulling over vehicles emitting black exhaust fumes, strictly controlling dust from construction sites and having police untangle traffic jams more quickly. 

Oh yea, I've been seeing above pollution reduction/enforcement activities all over Bangkok for the last week--NOT!!   And the artificial rain "wish-upon-on-star" idea sounds great.  Maybe supplement that wish to include some hundred baht notes in that rain.....money from the sky.  If you are going to wish, you might as well wish big. 

4 hours ago, Henrik Andersen said:

This is so wrong 

It has to be permanent all over Thailand not only Bkk 

Big fines for burning and I mean big 

Confiscate their cars 

Wake up Thailand you killing yourself and tourists 

If I had 10 baht for every black smoke belching bus the BMTA or BMA took the roads today, I MIGHT have been able to buy 1 banana at my local 7/11 store...

If I had 10 baht for every black smoke belching bus the BMTA or BMA left on the roads today as if nothing special was happening, I'd be a rich man!!!

8 hours ago, webfact said:

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) could attempt to create rain artificially over the city as early as Tuesday

This should be easily achieved if the PM gets his prayers going after storm Pabuk was made to shoo' off last week with his divine intervention .. 

8 hours ago, SkyNets said:

In the Thai news, one reason given by the Gov was too many road side pork barbecues, I'm not even joking.

There are two right outside my apartment building. Every single morning billowing black smoke... No-one complains; on the contrary, motorbike guys and other Thais queueing up for the cheap grub. (I don't even want to know what burned <deleted> they're wolfing down, but judging from the black smoke it can't be good food.) - And this is just one alley, mind you. Multiply that with 500 or 1,000, and there's no mystery (in addition to the diesel-powered buses and trucks) where all that smog comes from...

Make electric vehicles affordable for the masses, not just those who can afford paying 3 times its actual value!  Oh that's right, it will hurt the present manufacturers, dealers and second hand parts market not to mention big gas!

8 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

(I don't even want to know what burned <deleted> they're wolfing down, but judging from the black smoke it can't be good food.) -

You know the old saying ?

Where there is smoke there is chicken.

15 minutes ago, gjoo888 said:

I'm in the eastern part of central Bangkok, and I'll be darned...it's raining right now. 

Yeah, we saw it from Mo Chit but it looks like it's turned south and is now wetting the gulf ????

18 hours ago, SkyNets said:

In the Thai news, one reason given by the Gov was too many road side pork barbecues, I'm not even joking.

Wait It gets better They are reporting that dust from construction sites is a major culprit. I just shake my head and think Are Thais that gullible? I guess they are if they accept these reasons 

30 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

The guy opposite my house causes Indonesia-like haze with his BBQ for a few hundred meters around him. Doesn't seem to care if he's choking everyone around him, including his customers. If you think of how many sellers like him burning coal are out there in Bangkok, they probably cause pollution of several dozen thermal power plants. And I'm not joking either.

It's not about one thing. It's about the sum of all of them. Crop burning, power plants, vehicle exhaust especially those with filters removed, lack of green areas, lack of wind and rain, aviation, lack of governance, ignorance and non-enforcement of laws, lack of city planning, road surfaces, ineffective traffic manangement... even BBQ pork sellers. Removing any of them, or at least improving any of them would lead to improvements in air quality. It won't make air healthy all of a sudden, but at least it would make it a little bit better.

Kind of like saying that plastic straws are causing plastic pollution. Decades ago people would laugh at you for saying that. It's just a small straw. Or is it?

A first easy step would be to ban BBQ sellers from using coal Us natural gas instead then make Motorcycle manufactures start producing cleaner engines They did it with cars The car mfg were screaming at the time that they could not do it but presto they did I suspect the motorcycle mfg will scream the same song Its time  they to regulate them

So the rain will fall, collecting all the pollutants, it will settle on everything, then evaporate and with the help of the wind it will find it's way back into the atmosphere, ready to come back down again.
Brilliant idea.. NOT !!

Why not introduce MOT mandatory annual vehicle inspections for vehicles 10 yrs or older....especially for emissions and brakes like they do in so many countries?

Provides lots of work and employment as well as ensuring minimum standards for emissions and brake controls.

Sorry...just dreaming

9 hours ago, gjoo888 said:

I'm in the eastern part of central Bangkok, and I'll be darned...it's raining right now. 

I live in western Bangkok and it's just been fully overcast all day....no rain.  But hey there is still around 5 hours left in the day....before the stroke of midnight.

30 minutes ago, Pib said:

I live in western Bangkok and it's just been fully overcast all day....no rain.  But hey there is still around 5 hours left in the day....before the stroke of midnight.

Rained like hell in THonburi this morning

6 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Rained like hell in THonburi this morning

I'm going to guess the Thonburi part close to the river...within a few kilometers of the river...pretty close to central Bangkok just on the other side of the river.   I'm in Khet Talingchan of western Bangkok about 8Km west of the river as the crow flies.

9 minutes ago, Pib said:

I'm going to guess the Thonburi part close to the river...within a few kilometers of the river...pretty close to central Bangkok just on the other side of the river.   I'm in Khet Talingchan of western Bangkok about 8Km west of the river as the crow flies.

Yeah im like 3km from the river

6 hours ago, orchidfan said:

Why not introduce MOT mandatory annual vehicle inspections for vehicles 10 yrs or older....especially for emissions and brakes like they do in so many countries?

Provides lots of work and employment as well as ensuring minimum standards for emissions and brake controls.

Sorry...just dreaming

They do.

Cars from 7 years, motorbikes from 5 years.

They check brakes, emissions, headlight alignment. Perhaps something else as well. Machine looked like it might break at any moment.

Archived