Lax Layover.............

aussiestyle1983

We will have a layover in LAX of about 9 hours which is ok, but the problem is its at night. We will land on the EVA flight at about 9pm and will leave the next morning at 6am on United. I know it might take a while to clear immigration and customs and we will have to check in early in the morning which will kill afew extra hours, but what is there to do over night? We dont really wanna take our luggae to a hotel to only stay there for afew hours but we are not sure if the entire airport will close or there will be a place to rest or stay overnight in the airport. Any info on this would be apprieciated.......................Thanks.

I'd read/ask here.

You will arrive TBIT (Tom Bradley International Terminal) and depart T7. The security lines, after check-in, at T7 can be onerous.

You might be able to stay indoors at TBIT, or maybe find a nearby 24 hour diner/restaurant. Personally I might have opted for a later flight out of LAX and/or then Pricelined a LAX hotel. (The Hilton LAX looks to be $60 or less on Priceline.)

Thanks for that link, some usefull info there.

We mainly just want to know if the terminal will completly close or not. We figure if the terminal will close then we will have to wait outside, being that case we would consider a hotel. But if anyone knows if the actual terminal stays open over night could you please inform us, that way we could just sit inside the building somewhere. We dont really want to stay in a hotel only for 4-5 hours after we allow time for immigration, transport, check in & out of hotel, back to the airport and check in, plus we will hae a lot of luggage for this trip. So if anyone knows if any of the LAX terminal buildings stay open overnight let us know please.

We guess our best bet would be to stay in the TBIT overnight after clearing immigration and then going to the UA terminal in the morning...........

Thanks again.

We will have a layover in LAX of about 9 hours which is ok, but the problem is its at night. We will land on the EVA flight at about 9pm and will leave the next morning at 6am on United. I know it might take a while to clear immigration and customs and we will have to check in early in the morning which will kill afew extra hours, but what is there to do over night? We dont really wanna take our luggae to a hotel to only stay there for afew hours but we are not sure if the entire airport will close or there will be a place to rest or stay overnight in the airport. Any info on this would be apprieciated.......................Thanks.

Any chance of switching to or going "standby" for an earlier flight?

If you have a gold card, and you are on an international flight, perhaps you can use the business class lounge. You will find it more comfortable in that lounge, I think LAX has some shower facilities too!

Its good the hear the terminal will be open overnight.

We are going to San Antonio TX and the last flight for there leaves LAX before 9pm, so we planed it this way to arrive in LAX as late as possible on EVA (not enough time to risk a connection from the earlier flight) and leave on the first United flight at 6am next day to SAT. We will have heavy luggage so we are just happy to stay in the airport as it will only be for the one time. As long as the airport terminal will be open and have places to sit, we will be fine. Do all terminals stay open or just the TBIT?

We could of got better connections but we chose this option because it was about 20,000THB total cheaper than any other option so we just booked two seperate tickets on seperat airlines, that is another reason for the long layover, in case the EVA is delayed (never flown them before so we don't know what they're like)

Thanks for the input.......................

......If you have a gold card, and you are on an international flight, perhaps you can use the business class lounge. You will find it more comfortable in that lounge, I think LAX has some shower facilities too!

I've received several notices from airlines I regularly use out of the Bradley terminal that all the lounges there are closed for rennovation, which frankly is long overdue. As I understand it, they have built a temporary business class lounge in another terminal (!) and converted at least some part of what was a public restaurant on the second level into a first class lounge. I wouldn't count on getting much there these days at the Bradley terminal in the way of lounge facilities regardless of what kind of card you have.

Last September I had a similar situation, flying in with EVA at night and then flying out early in the morning with AA. I thought that I would just sleep in the terminal, however, at about 3am I was woken by cleaning staff that informed me that that particular terminal did close and I had to leave. I had to go down to the baggage claim area and wait there until 5am, when I was able to check into my morning flight. Wasn't exactly a comfortable night but I did have somewhere to be the whole time. There were about four other groups doing the same as me that night.

Last September I had a similar situation, flying in with EVA at night and then flying out early in the morning with AA. I thought that I would just sleep in the terminal, however, at about 3am I was woken by cleaning staff that informed me that that particular terminal did close and I had to leave. I had to go down to the baggage claim area and wait there until 5am, when I was able to check into my morning flight. Wasn't exactly a comfortable night but I did have somewhere to be the whole time. There were about four other groups doing the same as me that night.

Thankx for that excellent info. We will arrive at the Tom Bradly terminal on the EVA I guess at about 10pm and depart from one of Uniteds terminals in the morning. We are just not sure if it would be better to go straight to a United terminal and wait there or stay at the Tom Bradly terminal overnight and head to United in the morning.

It was good to hear you could at least wait in the baggage claim areas, inside the building. We were just concerned that the complete inside of the building might close and we have to wait on the street!

Any other info?