Lots of Northern charm at the Bo Sang Umbrella Festival

webfact

Lots of Northern charm at the Bo Sang Umbrella Festival

45c6c7a1300b0c6a80b94f7da73e34e3.jpeg

Photo: Tourism Authority of Thailand

The annual Bo Sang Umbrella and Sankamphaeng Handicraft Festival is held to celebrate and recognize the community that creates Thailand’s most famous handmade umbrellas from Saa, or mulberry bark, paper. This year marks the event’s 36th edition, which takes place from January 18-20, 2019.

Over the three days of the festival, visitors can enjoy umbrella and lantern decorations of shops and houses along Bo Sang Street, exhibitions of umbrellas, a beauty pageant bike parade, cultural performances and more. The final day features an Indonesian dance and fashion show, a traditional Lanna community market and the final round of the beauty pageant.

For further information, contact the TAT Chiang Mai Office on Tel 05324 8604-5 or e-mail: [email protected]

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/Travel_log/30362044

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-01-15

I went yesterday, hoping to catch an impression of the event without the parade.

I expected all the trimmings ,displays and para pluie phanalia to be all set up in readyness.

Pfft, honestly apart from a stage set up by the 7/11 the whole place looked identical to when i visited a month back.

I took some friends to see the old ladies crafting the parasols but the dozen i watched last year appear to be down to 6

I reckon the event will be the last next year as those old dears are dropping like flies.

Another traditional craft about to disappear sadly.

Archived