Prestigious school stands firm on casual clothes experiment

snoop1130

Prestigious school stands firm on casual clothes experiment

By The Nation

542e2e6d70e4e42de627635a5b42fe36-sld.jpeg

File photo : Bangkok Christian College students on January 8.

Bangkok Christian College students again wore jeans and T-shirts to classes on Tuesday as the country’s first private boys school persisted in allowing casual clothing once a week.

As the pupils went into the school most said they and their parents were happy with the initiative.

Wearing casual clothes to school, one of them said, didn’t affect their performance at school. “School performance has nothing to do with our clothes,” he said.

Last week the private school made headlines after it announced that for a semester it would allow middle and high school students to sport casual jeans and t-shirt to school every Tuesday. The move aimed to test if the no-uniform rules affected students’ academic performance.

However, not everyone was happy with the school progressive trial – the Office of the Private Education Commission voiced its concern and asked the school board it reconsider its move. 

It feared the lack of uniforms would affect orderliness, disciplines, and may make parents spend more on expensive clothes.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30362292

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-1-15
  • Haha 2

Good for them! I wonder how far their expression of individuality will go should they be called up for National Service. Brave little boys; the drill sergeant will love these little sweethearts.

Edited by Cadbury
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

and may make parents spend more on expensive clothes

This one point is not entirely unreasonable. In a country where poverty is a real issue, and those with money love to flaunt it, school uniforms stand out as an equaliser. Not a bad thing, especially considering how cruel kids can be to each other, and the feelings of insecurity they can feel as they reach their teenage years.

"and may make parents spend more on expensive clothes"

You want spend the money on uniforms? Don't forget: the pupils must buy a good deal of uniforms for different occasions. This is a real burden for poor parents and A BIG BOON for school masters who get their share of the uniform sellers.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Katipo said:

This one point is not entirely unreasonable. In a country where poverty is a real issue, and those with money love to flaunt it, school uniforms stand out as an equaliser. Not a bad thing, especially considering how cruel kids can be to each other, and the feelings of insecurity they can feel as they reach their teenage years.

Absolutely, kids are cruel mostly not knowing that they are but of course the older ones know. It is a good and true point as 40 years ago I can remember being laughed at and poked fun at with what I was wearing for come as you like day and even then mum stretched her budget just to give us something new God bless her that was the last time I participated in a come as you like day. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Wearing casual clothes to school, one of them said, didn’t affect their performance at school. “School performance has nothing to do with our clothes,” he said.

We'll still be able to pass, no matter what.:coffee1:

19 hours ago, tfc said:

Personally I liked casual day but another perspective from a friend later when I was in university made me consider that for some, specifically in my school which had a broader spectrum of children from different economic backgrounds, it became a stress for some kids/teens who felt the extra pressure/bullying because they weren't from families that could provide them with the "cool" clothes.  With the school uniform they never had to deal with that extra pressurizing factor. 

This is the main reason why this decision is stupid.

Only people who know nothing can think that it's okay to let kids dress as they like/can.

And people working/managing international schools were supposed to be smart, let me laugh !

By the way, I come from a stupid country where people believe in freedom (no uniform at schools) and where idiots (most people in my country) think that not wearing a uniform  is a human right !

• Like 1

On 1/15/2019 at 7:06 PM, Chang_paarp said:

Heaven forbid! Civilisation as they know it will collapse if the school children are allowed to show some Independence. They might start to think freely!!! Or worse not follow what they are told to do by their betters.

I think you think you are exaggerating, but about thirty years ago I was working at a private school in an experimental section intended to prepare Thai students to study in the freer, more independent atmosphere of an American school. Because the students had to complete the Thai curriculum to get their diploma, we had to work closely with Thai teachers, who were horrified at our failure to impose proper discipline. They really believed, sincerely, that it was essential to preserving Thai culture, that strict discipline be maintained and no independent initiatives be permitted.

On 1/15/2019 at 7:39 AM, tfc said:

Personally I liked casual day but another perspective from a friend later when I was in university made me consider that for some, specifically in my school which had a broader spectrum of children from different economic backgrounds, it became a stress for some kids/teens who felt the extra pressure/bullying because they weren't from families that could provide them with the "cool" clothes.  With the school uniform they never had to deal with that extra pressurizing factor. 

That's bunk. I attended 12 years of Catholic schools, with uniforms for the first 8 years. then high school dress codes. You can always tell the poor kids with tattered uniform dresses, scuffed shoes, unpressed slacks, rare haircuts, their old man's ties, home hair styling on the girls. The pressure is always there.

Just now, HAKAPALITA said:

Thinking back we had Uniforms, but there was allways one who looked like a Rag Bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Yep, that would be me.  I joined the Military at 16 and even in dress blues with sword and medals, I still looked like a bag of sxxt .

• Like 1