Thais Lose Trust In Govt, Cns

Mid

News hasn't got any better for the government....

ABAC Poll says PM Surayud's popularity falls

BANGKOK, Feb 25 (TNA) – The popularity of Prime Minister Gen. Surayud Chulanont continues to decline, only five months after he came to power following the September 19 coup d'etat, according to a poll conducted by ABAC.

Noppadol Kannikar, director of Assumption University's ABAC poll, said that the survey, conducted among 1,373 people in Bangkok February 21-24, found that Gen. Surayud's popularity fell to 34.8 per cent compared to 39.2 per cent earlier while his ousted predecessor Thaksin Shinawatra 's popularity rose to 28.8 per cent from 23.8 per cent.

Although Mr. Thaksin's popularity has edged up, 15.2 per cent of the respondents believed the former prime minister should return home from his self-exiled immediately, 26.9 per cent said he should wait for a certain period and 22 per cent said he should return home after the next general election.

Nearly two out of three respondents are unconvinced that the new constitution will be a document truly representing the public's aspirations. The recent survey showed that 54.7 per cent of the total respondents did not believe that the new constitution now being drafted would be a genuine people's constitution while 29.1 per cent still had strong confidence.

Almost half of the respondents -- 49.4 per cent -- expressed uncertainty that a general election would be held late this year as planned by the government while 36.7 per cent believed it will take place in the stated time frame.

Mr. Noppadol said the latest survey showed that Thailand would not benefit if the political situation remains unchanged, as social relations among the general public will deteriorate.

This clear indicator was seen from the survey among Bangkokians who are seen as being more influential in affecting the national future than rural populations, for example, he added. (TNA) - E 111

source: http://etna.mcot.net/query.php?nid=28147

Noppadol Kannikar, director of Assumption University's ABAC poll, said that the survey, conducted among 1,373 people in Bangkok February 21-24, found that Gen. Surayud's popularity fell to 34.8 per cent compared to 39.2 per cent earlier while his ousted predecessor Thaksin Shinawatra 's popularity rose to 28.8 per cent from 23.8 per cent.

This clear indicator was seen from the survey among Bangkokians who are seen as being more influential in affecting the national future than rural populations, for example, he added. (TNA) - E 111

source: http://etna.mcot.net/query.php?nid=28147

And additionally, Bangkogians have been, and still are, more pro junta than the rural areas of Isaarn and the North.

Amazing Thailand...... Burma part 2?

Thai PM casts doubt on October election

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2007/02/25...es_30027841.php

" "I received this job with a strong mandate from the people that I have to be here to serve (and to attend to) the political and security problems in Thailand," he told Bernama. "

:o

LaoPo

I wonder what Sonthi's approval rating is he seems to run his mouth much more without knowing what he's talking about more than half the time.

Oh and for being so highly touted as Thailand's first high ranking muslim he sure hasn't done anything practical to solve the violence in the south.

I love thailand. With it's laid back countrysides. And too like those thais who have no qualms with foreigners in their midst. I love those thais who does their bits to attain a reasonably well living standards in accordance to their means for their family and country. but I sure hate these politicians who cannot lead this country. And that Gen. Sonthi? Mouth is bigger than his brain.

The poll could have some meaning if the guy had a 4 year mandate, but he doesn't.

It means a lot, dear Tony.

It means that the popularity of the government is wearing thin, and that people start being very disappointed, that people do not trust the initial promises of the junta to give democracy back to the people.

And it means that if this trend continues, we might see some serious problems coming up.

So is their <deleted>' 1 year mandate! Wearing thin! That's the point. a 1 year mandate!

Problems no worse than if they hadn't stepped in I'm afraid.

So after dozens of coups over decades and the last incredibly corrupt government, if people can't be patient for another 7 months or so to try once more and get a fresh new start, they' ll never get anywhere.

Edited by Tony Clifton

The poll could have some meaning if the guy had a 4 year mandate, but he doesn't.

It means a lot, dear Tony.

It means that the popularity of the government is wearing thin, and that people start being very disappointed, that people do not trust the initial promises of the junta to give democracy back to the people.

And it means that if this trend continues, we might see some serious problems coming up.

I hope you will be wrong...completely wrong... :o

But, I'm afraid there's a lot of truth in your 'fear'.

Next March Thailand has 6 months behind the coup and what has been accomplished? :D

LaoPo

Next March Thailand has 6 months behind the coup and what has been accomplished? :D

LaoPo

I hope i am wrong as well.

There are a few problems though. Something has been accomplished - the military is back in full control, and it appears that they are going to be planning to stay that way after the elections as well.

I doubt very much that Thais will accept anything but a return to full democracy. Thailand has been too far along the path to return to the state of Premocracy.

How confident are international investment advisors when you mention investing in Thailand? I would have thought the Thai baht would have dropped considerably (since last September's coup) against western currencies - instead the opposite has happened. For how much longer though?

Peter

LaoPo

I hope i am wrong as well.

There are a few problems though. Something has been accomplished - the military is back in full control, and it appears that they are going to be planning to stay that way after the elections as well.

I doubt very much that Thais will accept anything but a return to full democracy. Thailand has been too far along the path to return to the state of Premocracy.

Weren't they always (in the past?) ? :D

LaoPo

"More than 50 per cent of the Thais now believe the government and the Council for National Security (CNS) are no longer able to solve political problems, according to a university survey."

Is that a surprise to anyone? The military overthrew a democratically elected government, and neither the majority of the Thai population, nor international investors are encouraged.