Death sentence for drugs! But Thai of Indian descent has sentence reduced to life

webfact

Death sentence for drugs! But Thai of Indian descent has sentence reduced to life

2pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

The Ratchadaphisek court in Bangkok has made a judgement in the case of Thai/Indian businessman Harpreet Singh, 53, who was arrested in Sukhumvit last year. 

The court decided on a death sentence but reduced it to life in jail after accepting that the defendant had proved helpful in the inquiry. 

Harpreet Singh is a Thai of Indian ancestry. He was a real estate developer and also someone who police referred to as being a drug kingpin. 

He was arrested at his house in Bangkok in Sukhumvit Soi 39 last year by RTP top brass and had been held in custody since March as he was considered a flight risk. 

At first he denied involvement in the drugs business.

But the court decided he was the man behind the transporting of 400 kilograms of "ice" (methamphetamine) from Khon Kaen to Hat Yai. 

Koson Srimongkhon and 11 others were arrested as part of that inquiry that led to Harpreet Singh. 

2pm1.jpg

Picture: Daily News

The court decided that he was responsible and had paid one million baht to those who transported the drug.

It is believed to have been destined for Malaysia. 

Singh was given the death sentence but this was reduced to life imprisonment as he had proved helpful in the inquiry. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-01-18

10 minutes ago, Nice Boyd said:

Ridiculous 400k

Bit different to the Canadian in China who had HIS life sentence changed to Death. Although which would be worse, a short sharp shock or 10, 20 ,30 years in clink.

They haven't killed anybody for a while so he wasn't really given a discount for his cooperation. And as Mr. Danson states, what's truly worse anyways? If it was me, I'd make it my mission to check out for I know I couldn't handle it. And although I've had ample opportunity, it's why I've never taken the easy way and did the crime cause there's no way I could do the time. 

Dunno about this guy in particular...

But in the prison system here, life sentences often don't seem to really mean LIFE!

There's good behavior reductions, term reductions in the annual royal get out of jail derby, and eventually early release.

Not sure the above process applies in big drug cases. But it certainly has applied in the past to the obviously less serious crime of murder and such.... :ninja:

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/20/2019 at 5:53 PM, sanemax said:

What is going on with thread .

Five replies and no ones yet to make a comparison to America !!!!!!!

I need to know .

What would have happened had this been in the USA ?

This guy simply said the 300 Kg of coke and meth found in his truck was not his...https://www.nogalesinternational.com/news/charges-dropped-in-another-large-drug-bust-case/article_c534dada-25b8-11e9-9f89-cb4bdc702d16.html#tncms-source=infinity-scroll-summary-sticky-siderail-latest

Archived