When You Fly, What Class Of Service Do You Use?

britmaveric

Airline Class of Service  

376 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe business class to be well worth the extra cost. In fact, if I had enough money I'd fly first class (have done this from LA to London a couple of times).

I like to check the airline's type of service though. I don't like the beds, as per BA. Tiny little uncomfortable things. I like a nice big comfy chair, with plenty of space - Thai style.

Economy, ya rich gits....! :o

6'2"s not good for it either, those beds mentioned above sound like bleedin heaven to me, lord knows what Shirley's like in economy, she's 6'8".

By this time next year I'll be a millionaire anyway so...... :D

redrus

I try for a business upgrade whenever possible. . I always fly EVA, and no matter what time of the year they are usually fully booked, so an upgrade is easy with a silver card. The great thing about flying EVA, is that you can book in to Evergreen deluxe, and if you do not get the upgrade, then all is not lost, because that class is like business class on some airlines. What is particualy important, is that you get to use the VIP lounges.

Nope, just wonder why the hel_l someone would feel the need to start a thread on such a topic as 'What class of aeroplane seat do you use?. Surely if they've ever been on a plane they can see that most people fly economy, then business, then first class.

I mean is there nothing more interesting for them to do with there time???

Is it just unbelievable bordorm and they want to start a thread but have nothing else to talk about or is there an actual reason?

Edited by thomo

I'm a price flyer. I find the lowest priced tickets then look at the schedules. If the schedule for one is quite a bit better, I will pay more for that ticket. If business class would get me where I'm going sooner, then I would consider business class tickets. I HATE to fly or to travel for that matter.

Economy most of the time, though I try to play the frequent flyer privileges game to get the most benefits with the least cash shelled out...it certainly pays to be loyal :o

On my own dime I'd certainly never pay the thousands of bucks extra for 11 hours...I mean, come on, with the same cash you can stay for a week at the Paris Ritz!

UK to Thailand.

Economy when I'm paying, the extra money is way better spent at destination. I have flown business, when the company pays, but whatever the legroom you're still sat on your butt for 12 + hours and very often in the same clothes for 18 + hours. Long haul travel is not an enjoyable experience no matter how the airline ads try to portray it otherwise.

As for the quality of the on board scran the business class stuff has been cooked at the same time and kept hot for the same time as the econocrap :o . If I want quality food I engage the services of a restaurant not an airline.

I usually fly with the same airline almost all the time. This way I can maximize my frequent flyer miles. With my present platinum card I get 125% additional bonus miles - so flying with another airline that is a measly $100 less - still wouldn't pay in the long run!

I collect the miles by paying for my flights when the prices are lowest for my airline and use miles to either upgrade or pay for flights when the prices are high.

With my gold/platinum card I can sometimes get free upgrades and with an elite card I can always choose the seats I want. Using the same airline most of the time keeps my elite cards current, this also allows me to use the VIP lounge (international flights or with upgrades.) I like the perk of getting on the plane with the business class/first class group when all the overhead bins are still available.

So, I guess that means I pay economy and fly with free upgrades when I can.

Yes, It does pay to be a loyal customer!

Yes, It does pay to be a loyal customer!

not if you are unlucky (as my wife and me are) being for 17 years loyal customers of an airline (Delta) which does not honour its frequent flyer miles anymore.

my statement is not quite correct as Delta upgrades passengers age 80 years and older accompanied by both their parents and provides free business class flights for platinum members on 30th and 31st of february in any given year.

:o

I travel ecomomy from Bangkok to Libya every five weeks. I use the same airline, Emirates, and am a Gold card holder. I have had one upgrade to Business class in two and a half years. Thats 1 in 60 flights.

Has anyone got any tips on how to get an upgrade without using airmiles or paying?

I travel ecomomy from Bangkok to Libya every five weeks. I use the same airline, Emirates, and am a Gold card holder. I have had one upgrade to Business class in two and a half years. Thats 1 in 60 flights.

Has anyone got any tips on how to get an upgrade without using airmiles or paying?

I think that it depends on the route and the situation at the time.

I've flown from LA to London five times, by economy plus. Each time I got upgraded to business class. But, BA have an awful setup at LA and the check in staff are always over worked and overstressed. The average person checking in is stressed too. I found that just by smiling, making a pleasant comment to the checkin staff, and saying they were doing a good job - upgrade each time. I always dress quite well. A shirt and jacket is actually very functional for flying, I find.

Good luck. Act naturally, and sympathize with their work conditions...

Generally the US-based airlines are the best for official free upgrades for elite members (certificates), but mostly on domestic legs...United seems decent on international ones as well. Air Canada also gives out upgrade certificates to its elite members, but otherwise this practice is not very prevalent...

I've done the math - Detroit to Osaka, Japan (Northworst Airlines)

Business Class is an extra $300.00 USD per hour over coach

First Class (when they had it) was an extra $500.00 USD per hour over coach

Conclusion;

Company money - Business Class

My money - Cattle Car

I can't justify paying an extra few thousand $$ for a little bit of extra comfort over a 14 hour span. I can do much better with that money once on the ground. I do make a point of booking one of the last 3 outside rows in the back of the 747 where it drops from 3 seats to 2. They provide a little more elbow room , are next to the bathrooms and you dont have a 3rd person in the row to climb over.

I can't justify paying an extra few thousand $$ for a little bit of extra comfort over a 14 hour span. I can do much better with that money once on the ground. I do make a point of booking one of the last 3 outside rows in the back of the 747 where it drops from 3 seats to 2. They provide a little more elbow room , are next to the bathrooms and you dont have a 3rd person in the row to climb over.

And the sound of the engines drown out the snoring, crying babies, and drunks :o

It is psychologically frustrating:

Own cash (earned not inherited) do I spend an extra 500 GBP for BKK-MAN-BKK business class.

Benefits: lounge access and legroom, a glass of champagne.

Or: Suffer economy (14 hours X 2): Then........

500 GBP spending money, upon landing for the first week back in Pattaya?

US short haul, almost always first class, but with upgrades not paid. I do enough flying to always have loads of upgrades in the bank. In the UK and Europe short haul, almost always economy because most flights are just puddle jumps. But I cheat. I go for exit row seats to get the extra leg room.

In LoS, almost always business class, paid, to me the small additional price is worth the additional comfort, especially after lengthy inbound long haul flights.

On my long haul flights, usually economy, but again I cheat going after the exit row seats. Once or twice a year I cash in frequent flyer miles and go business class for free. On anything longer than about 3-4 hours, there's definitely a huge difference between cattle and biz.

I've gone first class on British Airways long haul flights before, but didn't find it to be that much different that business (mainly because BA biz is so <deleted>' nice). I probably won't burn the extra miles for first again.

I do qualify for lounge service on long haul flights even though I might be flying economy. That's a nice perk.

:D

Well here's my take.

I work on a communications contract in Greece. Mostly I'm working the night shift before I leave. Plane from here to Athens leaves early morning, about 7 A.M. I've been awake all night on shift. I wait in Athens until 1630 (4.30 P.M.) for Thai departure. Almost 11 hour flight lands roughly 6 A.M. I get taxi and arrive at my hotel in BKK around 8 A.M. By the time I arrive I have been in same clothes for 24 hours, no shower, only whatever sleep I have had was on the airplane.....etc.

Add all that together and, yes although business class is more expensive, I can use the business lounge to relax in Athens. Makes me feel more like a civilized person when I arrive in BKK.

I'm getting older, and I need the comforts more now than I did in my younger backpacker days.

I normally do a max of 2 vacation trips a year. I can afford the extra money for the comfort.

A bonus is that flying by business class back, I can go straight to a night shift on my return. Flying economy, I usually need another day back before I'm ready to return to work. Therefore even thouugh economy is cheaper, I have to return a day earlier to be ready to go back to work.

All in all, as long as I can afford it, business class is my choice.

:o

Edited by IMA_FARANG