Changing to fibre optic internet connection

Wullie Mercer

Require some advice, I have been offered an upgrade to fibre optic. 150Mps download speed. I have at present cable 50Mps download and 20Mps upload.

What I need to know, is my existing router compatible to the fibre upgrade. Router details: TP-Link, Model No. Archer VR600. It says on the technical data on product box that it is VDSL/ADSL/ fiber/cable compatible but I am being told"Need new router"?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, Wullie Mercer said:

What I need to know, is my existing router compatible to the fibre upgrade. Router details: TP-Link, Model No. Archer VR600. It says on the technical data on product box that it is VDSL/ADSL/ fiber/cable compatible but I am being told"Need new router"?

They will probably provide you with a complete new fibre modem/router, in which case you can use just that. Or you could connect that new router (in "bridge mode") to your old one and use both, but that would require the two to be set up correctly.

You could also use a fibre modem with your existing router if the fibre supplier will give you one and if their service works that way.

So you need to ask the fibre supplier what type and model device they will give you.

13 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Mine was upgraded last week and they gave us a new router too. The other point is thise speeds are useless hype as the 100+ is ONLY for connections inside Thailand, go outside and its less than 10 !! (In my case).

Which company is that? From a decent provider you should get much better speed outside of Thailand than that.

1 minute ago, KittenKong said:

Which company is that? From a decent provider you should get much better speed outside of Thailand than that.

TOT, not impressed, some days its lower than 3 to the UK and all they say is "outside thailand not guarantee and cannot help" Looking into other companies which were never available in the sticks in years gone by.

2 minutes ago, Thainesss said:

I have the same issue and its been like that for 10 years no matter what provider I have. 

I get more than 10mbs to destinations outside of Thailand just on my 50/20 3BB VDSL. But I also tested fibre from another provider which was much worse than that.

So I would say that the choice of provider certainly does make a big difference.

4 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

TOT, not impressed, some days its lower than 3 to the UK and all they say is "outside thailand not guarantee and cannot help" Looking into other companies which were never available in the sticks in years gone by.

My 3BB VDSL is much better than that.

Another thing that should be noted with high bandwidth fiber connections here is that the modem/router provided is only 2.4 ghz and will very likely not be suitable to carry your entire package over wifi. 

Another higher end 5ghz router will need to be used along with the providers modem.

2 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

I get more than 10mbs to destinations outside of Thailand just on my 50/20 3BB VDSL. But I also tested fibre from another provider which was much worse than that.

So I would say that the choice of provider certainly does make a big difference.

Doubt it, as Ive had every single provider in Thailand over 10 years and they all share the same international gateway, and the same bottleneck out of Thailand. 

5 minutes ago, Thainesss said:

Doubt it, as Ive had every single provider in Thailand over 10 years and they all share the same international gateway, and the same bottleneck out of Thailand. 

True, still i get quite high speeds 60-70 mbs or more when downloading from servers in the Netherlands. I guess it depends on what kind of connection too. I make multiple connections to those servers. I can't complain about my 3BB fiber 150 300 (50% extra because i paid ahead for a whole year)

Now downloading with 34Mb a second with SABnzb client.

3 minutes ago, robblok said:

True, still i get quite high speeds 60-70 mbs or more when downloading from servers in the Netherlands. I guess it depends on what kind of connection too. I make multiple connections to those servers. I can't complain about my 3BB fiber 150 300 (50% extra because i paid ahead for a whole year)

Now downloading with 34Mb a second with SABnzb client.

Yeah but youre doing very specific kinds of networking. A passive, regular internet user wont be doing that. They will be paying for a service thinking they are getting a supreme connection but in reality nothing much is gained, especially as most of the big tech companies have servers all over the world, if not in Thailand itself. 

There is a benefit and a gain but its not as big as it seems. I pay it knowing this because I dont mind spending the money even if its only a 5% gain. 

8 minutes ago, Thainesss said:

As I mentioned, to outside Thailand on my 3BB VDSL I get much better than the figures quoted.

Have a look at the results of a test performed just now:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/7971531908

3 minutes ago, Thainesss said:

Yeah but youre doing very specific kinds of networking. A passive, regular internet user wont be doing that. They will be paying for a service thinking they are getting a supreme connection but in reality nothing much is gained, especially as most of the big tech companies have servers all over the world, if not in Thailand itself. 

There is a benefit and a gain but its not as big as it seems. I pay it knowing this because I dont mind spending the money even if its only a 5% gain. 

I spend it for the same reason besides what is 1200 bt a month for internet. But i notice it in all my services. I use dropbox a lot for huge files the difference is enormous especially as they have servers in Thailand. In Thailand you can fully use your speed. I also have like 3 computers hooked up to this a few mobiles and a TV and one NAS (the one that downloads the TV shows and movies).

So for me its good but I would not expect the UK servers to be good, unless they are mayor players. The UK is not like the Netherlands its far more turned into itself not caring about outsiders reaching their servers. The Netherlands is small relying on outside people on their servers with lot of network nodes there. It makes a difference. 

The Netherlands is just good with AMSix connecting there and the fastest internet in Europe and 4th in the world. So it does not only mean Thailand is bad, the country people connect too matters a lot too.

https://www.iamexpat.nl/expat-info/dutch-expat-news/netherlands-has-fastest-internet-europe

22 minutes ago, Thainesss said:

There is no such thing.

3bb uses jastel international internet gateway (IIG)

cat uses cat-iig

tot uses tot-iig

True uses true-iig

ais uses SBN-iig

True and TOT also uses cat-iig along with their IIG

http://internet.nectec.or.th/webstats/internetmap.current.iir?Sec=internetmap_current

10 minutes ago, Thainesss said:

Actually True has direct connections to Singapore AFAIK and there may be several others.  But this is my speedtest on 50/20 fiber line now without VPN.  A VPN to Singapore and then use Singapore connections to world should result in good speeds most of the time.  It seems to work for me

59/22 3bb Bangkok

59/22 Singapore

59/20 London

45/20 LA

2 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Mine doesnt.

Its still middle of the night in the UK. Do a test a primetime. 

7 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Actually True has direct connections to Singapore AFAIK and there may be several others.  But this is my speedtest on 50/20 fiber line now without VPN.  A VPN to Singapore and then use Singapore connections to world should result in good speeds most of the time.  It seems to work for me

I do the same sometimes as im on True as well:

7971520432.png

But then you're surfing through Singapore. I stream all my TV from the USA and have to VPN to US Servers. So unless you dont vision region locked content then thats a good workaround

7 minutes ago, Thainesss said:

Yes and it varies wildly. Keep in mind its like 01:30 AM in the UK as well. 

I just got 40/21 to Vodafone but had fail/firewall blocking first try so expect there is a London issue.  SC result was 51/21

4 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Some people. ????

How about Los Angeles? It's late afternoon there now. I suppose you will say that everyone is at the beach and not using the internet.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/7971565369

Yeah... Some people ????

Testing the US doesnt equal testing the UK. Test the UK at primetime vs the UK at 2AM. 

And it does vary wildly. You clearly dont want to agree with this, but arguing about it doesnt make it true. 

36 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

this is me using a VPN to Los Angeles and hitting a serer in LA.  True cable. 699 baht a month.

ping 233.   23.31 down.  1.59 up.

It is just fast enough for me to make comments on TV all day and never go outside.

What is that "outside" you are talking about... is that the area beyond the front door ? *shivers in fear*

True put in new router and fibre optic last week. Now the signal upstairs is very weak and we cannot listen to fm radio with the router and other box on as it causes interference. So not much of an upgrade, but we could get a gigabyte connection for 1500 baht, but who needs anything that fast?

8 minutes ago, Thainesss said:

Yeah... Some people ????

Testing the US doesnt equal testing the UK. Test the UK at primetime vs the UK at 2AM.

And it does vary wildly. You clearly dont want to agree with this, but arguing about it doesnt make it true. 

Better still, you get the same 3BB package that I have and you can test it yourself.

I know from several years experience that I get much better speeds than those originally mentioned to the UK, and I know that I get them at all times. These are simple and immutable facts. You cannot possibly know what I get, you can only guess. And you are guessing wrong.
What you get from your crappy provider is another issue entirely, and I cant comment on that because I dont have that problem. Neither, apparently, do several other contributors to this topic.

51 minutes ago, robblok said:

The Netherlands is just good with AMSix connecting there and the fastest internet in Europe and 4th in the world. So it does not only mean Thailand is bad, the country people connect too matters a lot too.

https://www.iamexpat.nl/expat-info/dutch-expat-news/netherlands-has-fastest-internet-europe

So true !

It ain't much if it isn't Dutch ....

2 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

True put in new router and fibre optic last week. Now the signal upstairs is very weak and we cannot listen to fm radio with the router and other box on as it causes interference. So not much of an upgrade,

This is more likely to be a wifi issue than anything else. You could try changing the wifi channel. If that doesnt help then fitting something like this should do it:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-WPA4220KIT-Powerline-Broadband-Configuration-UK/dp/B01LXOZ4EN

Archived