Best way to get an elderly relative around

mrblonde

we are due out in november this year with my rather spritely dad, who's 80.  He's never been before ????

We plan a fair bit of sight seeing during the daytime, the usual Sanctuary of Truth, Big Buddha hill, floating market, Jomtien, maybe Nong Nooch park.  When i usually visit, we (me and my partner or a male friend) get a moped for the 2 weeks, but obviously I wont be dragging him around on the back of a bike.  What other options do we have?  Private baht bus each time and negotiate?  Taxi with a meter?  Or is there another way?

Locally we'll use baht bus routes, Kiss Food down 2nd road to Terminal 21 etc, along Beach Road but asking for the more 'out of town' places?

I have used baht busses out of town. You can expect to pay 800 to 1000 Baht per day. In town I have negotiated about 600 for half a day to Pattaya Big Buddha and radio transmitter lookout point in a taxi. Taxis don't use their meters here.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

The opportunity to make his life!

Rent a bigger motorcycle and find a sexy girl with short shorts to drive him around.

Seriously, he will thank you until the day he is gone.

Find him a girl who can ride a "big" bike and who wears short shorts and you can save yourself a trip to Pattaya Big Buddha. You might find he's not as old as he looks! 

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, moonseeker said:

Grab car. Android app.

I dont use any taxis myself locally but I'm inclined to agree with you, at least for people who really dont want to drive themselves. The baht-bus is an option but it's tedious to have to negotiate all the time, and they may not be available when/where you want them. Also the open-air travel can be very dehydrating.

There are Hire Car with driver companies in Pattaya.but they maybe more expensive, if you can negotiate privately better

You can also use Grab and negotiation with driver privately about hiring car and driver daily , i guess yiu would be looking at about 2,000 baht a day including fuel , i doubt anyone would do it cheaper but you may get it.

you can also get a expat farang who may have a nice car who will do it for a good price.

you may even want to look at a mini van option for more comfort.

But as you said its not until November and your Dad is 80.........so....wait until October , as at that age everyday is a blessing.

some of the replies are humourous..

recently, some of my relations just did private hire with baht buses--1000 thb for 4hrs.

the driver was friendly, but knew very little english, so it was very hard to give him instructions.

hiring a car would be ok, but the driver needs to have some knowledge of pattaya...parking can become a problem, plus the corrupt police stops that seem to be happening reguarly in pattaya, even at nights..

A few years ago my (at the time) 80-year-old mother visited me for 3 months. She just climbed on the back of my scooter. It terrified her but she loved it. She insisted I take her out for various excursions every day. From shopping to sightseeing. I guess it got her blood pumping. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

The opportunity to make his life!

Rent a bigger motorcycle and find a sexy girl with short shorts to drive him around.

Seriously, he will thank you until the day he is gone.

I know such a girl, she has her own 650 Japanese rice rocket. 42kg and I have watched her expertly peg spin her motorcycle with expert skill out of a tight parking space. Freelances on Thai Friendly. :thumbsup:

When I was there over the new years my girl got the phone number of a baht bus.  I think if you get a good driver and explain roughly your schedule you might be able to work out a deal fterall he is getting guaranteed money they like that