Thailand Never Again

qwertz

I know of only one man during all my visits to LOs who never came back, as far as I know. We shared a taxi down to Pattaya and he said on arrival this couldn't be the hotel or the resort he'd had booked for him by an agent in Germany. This was in 1999, just after Germany had reunited and travel bureaus were making a killing on cheap package tours for East Germans. He was appalled after venturing out after dark on the first day and said that as a Jehovah's Witness he had been shipped to Sodom and Gomorrah by unscrupulous crooks. He couldn't change his flight and stayed in the hotel for the rest of his two weeks there. I wonder if anyone else has experienced something similar.

I managed a department of mixed Thai/Expat staff in Thailand. We had two guys who turned up, did their absolute minimum assigment and left. Thailand just did not suit them.

I've also seen a number of guys, both through work and socially, who went to Thailand and really made a mess of themselves.

Between these two groups I'd say the former were the wiser.

1999? Maybe 1989...and yeah, I've met people who never came back here after the first trip (though usually they were here for business reasons to begin with)...for a lot of them it was the whole market atmosphere that Bangkok has, combined with the traffic & pollution.

if one decides that thailand is not for them they are free to go.

this is a democracy,

let the people that like thailand stay and enjoy, send the naysayers back to where they want to be, as they are not welcome in the land of smiles.

a positive out look is the most important attribute a person can have.

simple but very important logic. :D

terence :o

1999? Maybe 1989...and yeah, I've met people who never came back here after the first trip (though usually they were here for business reasons to begin with)...for a lot of them it was the whole market atmosphere that Bangkok has, combined with the traffic & pollution.

Sorry, Florin, you're right of course, 1989. Left hand's in plaster, keep hitting the wrong keys. Thanks for the input.

Edited by qwertz

this is a democracy,

let the people that like thailand stay and enjoy, send the naysayers back to where they want to be, as they are not welcome in the land of smiles.

And people are also allowed to discuss it without constantly being told "if they don't like it, go home" :D

You've had your say Terry, now go find a thread you can enjoy :D

Well Im glad to see your not part of the fabric that make up the Monarchy or the government! lol

"send the naysayers back to where they want to be, as they are not welcome in the land of smiles." I dont see that as democratic. And I'm not having a dig at you I just see things differently prefering to give people an informed choice before they label a place and make rash assumptions/opinions.

I guess if there were more aware of the activities and beauty Thailand has to offer then they may have had a different opinion, who knows.

this is a democracy,

And people are also allowed to discuss it without constantly being told "if they don't like it, go home" :D

You've had your say Terry, now go find a thread you can enjoy :D

ok SBK,

i get your message,

terence :D

have a look at my snake photos taken on koh phan gan, in the snake thread.

Sure Thailand isn't for everybody. Then again, neither is Egypt, Russia, the USA, Australia, Africa, England, France ...

If you go to the USA and JUST see New York or go to England and JUST see London, you can't judge the country. Flying from another country to Thailand and just spending 3 days in Bangkok gives a a false impression of the country.

It comes down to spending some time doing research on your destination. The internet is the most up-to-date source of information ... just a simple Google of Thailand gives 186 million webpages. The very first one is Tourism Thailand's website.

Sure - there's only so much you can learn about a country from the internet - but I am sure there's something for everybody here.

Peter

On one trip, I had two friends come with me to Thailand. One of my friends was in full hate mode when the Airport Doors opened and he was hit with the heat from the Thailand air. He complained about the heat while we were in the Taxi, while we were checking into our hotel and even when he was in his room! Once in his room, he complained that the A/C unit would stop working once he left the room! I was spending all my time trying to find ways for him to enjoy his time here. When he wanted to look around, I sat in his room to keep the A/C unit on. When he was complaining about hunger, I went out and found food for him.... I was growing so tired of him...

When we were in Pattaya, I hit my boiling point... He was complaining about something and wording it in a way that would make it seem as if it was my fault that the sun was hot and the water was not as clean as it should be and I blew my stack! I stood up, told him that I am sorry I asked them to come along and I am going back to the hotel. I left...

My other friend told me that once they were on their own, he stopped complaining, was smiling and enjoying himself.

Although they have not been back, when he tells people about his time in Thailand he tells them how much fun he had! :o

Edited by PaulUSA302

I know of only one man during all my visits to LOs who never came back, as far as I know. We shared a taxi down to Pattaya and he said on arrival this couldn't be the hotel or the resort he'd had booked for him by an agent in Germany. This was in 1999, just after Germany had reunited and travel bureaus were making a killing on cheap package tours for East Germans. He was appalled after venturing out after dark on the first day and said that as a Jehovah's Witness he had been shipped to Sodom and Gomorrah by unscrupulous crooks. He couldn't change his flight and stayed in the hotel for the rest of his two weeks there. I wonder if anyone else has experienced something similar.

We met a guy like that, but finally convinced him to go out with us on the Loy Katung holiday. Typically for people like that, he ended up in bed with a ladyboy and spent the rest of his vacation looking for new ones! :o

We met a guy like that, but finally convinced him to go out with us on the Loy Katung holiday. Typically for people like that, he ended up in bed with a ladyboy and spent the rest of his vacation looking for new ones! :o

It just occurred to me. Maybe this guy did too, I never checked him out but come to think of, it's hard to imagine he spent 2 weeks in his room alone praying for salvation.

this is a democracy,

uh....sorry to burst your bubble terence, but this is not a democracy, the junta has taken care of that

and per your mention of "positive outlook"....i am "positive" that Thailand is no longer a democracy and the "outlook" is that it never will be

Edited by bingobongo

Had this new guy from England in his early 20s come to work at my old job here. He lasted two weeks and then went home. He said he hated Bangkok and all the sleazy nightlife. I didn't talk to him too much but he seemed to be a really conservative and really religious young man from the little conversation we did have. I was single when we hired him and thought I was going to have a new drinking buddy to take on the wild nights but oh well.

But most guys I meet that come here to study for a semester usually end up staying or repeatedly keep coming back. For some reason, it doesn't seem to be the same for the girls I know that have studied here.

Edited by jbsears

this is a democracy,

uh....sorry to burst your bubble terence, but this is not a democracy, the junta has taken care of that

and per your mention of "positive outlook"....i am positive that Thailand is no longer a democracy and never will be

Wow, Terry, that's gotta hurt. I have a pretty wild guess you last had that reaction when you found out the truth about Santa Claus :o

Most of us like it here, but I find it very funny to read about others that might have had a boring time - usually due to themselfs. And if the story has a twist like the ladyboy-chasing above, then it's just pure gold. =)

this is a democracy,

and per your mention of "positive outlook"....i am "positive" that Thailand is no longer a democracy and the "outlook" is that it never will be

But I supect you too came back. Perhaps to stay?

this is a democracy,

and per your mention of "positive outlook"....i am positive that Thailand is no longer a democracy and never will be

Wow, Terry, that's gotta hurt. I have a pretty wild guess you last had that reaction when you found out the truth about Santa Claus :o

thanks for that my dear alexth,

but my good self knows when to say no more, as i have been told not to comment further from a higher being than myself. :D

but you know what im on about . :bah:

thank you very much my learned friend. :D

terence

Quit picking on terry, as you can see, he has agreed to be a good boy and leave the story tellers to their stories. Higher being, I like that Terry :D

Anyway, back to the topic at hand:

My parents came once but never returned. Not because they didn't like it but because they didn't have the time or money and once they did they no longer had good health :o

Quit picking on terry, as you can see, he has agreed to be a good boy and leave the story tellers to their stories. Higher being, I like that Terry :D

Anyway, back to the topic at hand:

My parents came once but never returned. Not because they didn't like it but because they didn't have the time or money and once they did they no longer had good health :D

its the english gentleman in me S.B.K., as we are quick on the up take. :D

anyway,

what about my snake photo ?

did you love it or what. :o

I met one Aussie guy who would sit around the swimming pool with his wife, constantly complaining about everything.

Being ripped off in the shops, the heat of the day, the mosquitoes at night, the touts on the footpaths, the hotel air conditioning...it went on and on.

One night in a restaurant he sent his prawn dish back to the kitchen because the shell had not been removed from one of the prawns.

He would tell everyone, loud and clear, "I'll never come back to Thailand again."

He must have convinced his wife about how bad Thailand was because he has returned every year to Pattaya without his wife, and has a fabulous time in all the night spots. Big smile on his face, no more complaints.

I guess there was some method in his complaining madness. :o

I think the funniest story, on the lines about people not reading up on Thailand, and I actually witnessed this, happened in the old Toi's Place, long since gone.

A group of four lads were in on a fortnights holiday from UK, and all they did was to get drunk every day. The bar girls didn't seem to bothered, as it was a busy time, with loads of punters. Getting towards the end of the holiday, on a quiet night, one of the girls singled one of the lads out for her eye-ball attentions from the bar. The guy noticed this, stood up and proclaimed to his mates in a loud voice.

" Jeez lads at last. . I might be in here. I think that girl at the bar fancies me"

There was a moments silence, before all of the locals burst into laughter.