Schengen Visa

The maximum term for a multiple entry Schengen visa is 5 years.

What is your nationality?

Wont effect her visas validity, but it will be a lot easier for her to apply if you are an EEA national; and it will be free as well.

As far as I'm aware the initial Schengen Visa has to be for a specific journey, and the Member States consulate you apply to has to be the one that which has jurisdiction for the Member State where you're entering Schengen, if you're planning on touring and will be spending an equal time in a number of States then you should apply via the Consulate with jurisdiction for the country where you enter Schengen.

Visas are often issued for the duration of the actual stay, different member states have their own rules, some will issue visas for the exact number of days, some for a month to give the applicant some flexibility, some will give far longer, but you need to ask for a longer periods citing future travel plans, they will takw into account the applicants previous travel history.

When my wife was my girlfriend she was issued with a visa for the exact length of her trip from the French, a visa for a month from the Italians and a visa valid for six months shy of the validity of her passport, so valid for a couple of years from the Dutch.

Her latest visa, as my wife, was issued by the Danes and whilst she again requested a visa for the duration of her passport they only issued her with a visa valid for 18 months, until 29 March 2019, the day the UK is scheduled to leave the EU, I'm British and she applied as the spouse of an EU National.

I don't know if that is policy or just coincidental, but after the UK leaves the EU our spouses will need apply under the non Free Movement Directive rules, no really big deal but a tad bothersome.

I don't know if you're wife will be able to apply for a longer term at this stage it depends on a number of factors, your nationality and the view of individual consulates following Brexit being the two major ones that come to mind.    

Thanks for the prompt reply's Folks. I hold both a UK and an Irish passport so should not be a problem there. She has also had a Schengen visa issued a couple of years ago, through the French embassy. No problems then, so might try our hand and see if possibly the French embassy will issue a long visa, one can only ask.

Archived