Video:Three year old "arrested" for not wearing a helmet

webfact

Video:Three year old "arrested" for not wearing a helmet

3pm_VI.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Comment on Thai social media was rife after a father posted online that cops in Bang Khun Non had "arrested" his three year old daughter for not wearing a motorcycle helmet.

The child was on the back of her dad's bike on the way to kindergarten on Thursday morning. 

Details were unclear but the father and child ended up at the police station arguing after a ticket was not issued. 

The father was furious that other people were let go and he was singled out. 

Netizens said a more appropriate course of action would have been a warning to the father or even providing a police helmet to the child temporarily. 

Many said arresting a three year old was just plain stupid. 

An unnamed policeman at Bang Khun Non station confirmed that a video online was of a disagreement at that station. The spokesman said they did not know exactly what it was about. 

But they said that the bottom line was that parents should take responsibility for their children and get them to wear helmets. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-01-25

I reckon there is a lot more to it.

Over the years I’ve been riding on the Sukhumvit alongside students on motorbikes not wearing helmets sometimes 3 or 4 on a bike. These kids never get pulled up.

This guy is obviously a bad egg, he must have done something to provoke the BIB

I see this all too often with parents having helmets and young kids not.

The inconsistency of police action, and sometime inaction of the cops to do anything about it is at the heart of this issue.

Bringing the kid in tonthe station is absolutely ridiculous.. But i suspect they had to as they couldn't just leave her alone back at the checkpoint.

All in all, just a pathetic and embarrassing spectacle that should never ever be allowed to happen

"But they said that the bottom line was that parents should take responsibility for their children and get them to wear helmets."

The bottom line should be that the motorbike be confiscated and the father arrested for child endangerment. The "get them to wear helmets" statement is beyond stupid.

The parents are helmets I think.

Regardless,  if you think it's right or wrong kids on bikes.

it's the way it is here.

But the parents have a crash helmet on and the kids on the back don't,  great parents,  and they still ride like idiots down the road with the kids on the bikes.

Total Helmets. :bah:

Ps. Cop is sending the correct message out to parents.

Good job :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, from the home of CC said:

Children and motorcycles imo do not belong together, helmet or no helmet.

Exactly, children's necks are not strong enough to "wear" a helmet, meaning that if there is an accident there would be a severe risk of breaking their necks!

1 hour ago, CGW said:

Exactly, children's necks are not strong enough to "wear" a helmet, meaning that if there is an accident there would be a severe risk of breaking their necks!

Broken neck or cracked skull, take your choice. 

A helmet will give them a chance.

2 hours ago, CGW said:

A three-year-old child and not a baby. That said there may be no perfect option. Neck injury vs. head injury but if he learns to wear a helmet at a young age he is more likely to wear one later in life.

50 minutes ago, jvs said:

And how else would these people get around?Drive the merc.?

I see Thais doing this negligent stunt, imo the product of poor education combined with a $10 a day wage being the major causes. I don't condone it but I see how it happens. When I see foreigners with the benefit of an education/finances copying this behavior it gets under my skin. Being fully appreciative of the potential of fatality and still putting their kids at risk is the epiphany of selfishness especially considering the accident statistics here. Knowing better and still doing it is a dumb ass move, and you deserve a slap for being stupid and putting your kid at risk. 

Bottom line, if you can't reach the pegs, use the legs.       

57 minutes ago, Oziex1 said:

Broken neck or cracked skull, take your choice. 

A helmet will give them a chance.

You reckon? if the helmet was made to fit the child and correctly tied - possibly, I have yet to see a child wearing a helmet that fits & never with any other form of protection, but as folk "bang" on about helmets here as if they were the magical cure all, most are about as much use as a plastic bucket, only then if they are correctly fastened :shock1:

The father should be arrested for taking a young child on a motorbike, without a helmet. Does this guy have any idea how delicate a child's skull is? I do not know about arrest. How do you arrest a 3 year old. I think the story got distorted. The father needs to be heavily punished. 

6 hours ago, Chippy151 said:

It's still amazing for me to see parents wearing helmets and their kids with no helmets.

I don't care what reasons they have for being so stupid.

Morons.

i agree with this 100%. it amazes me daily, when i see kids on motorbikes with their parents.yet the parents dont care enough to provide helmet for kids.

also, even more amazing...women driving motorbike wth one hand while she tries to hold baby on her knees with the other hand...the kid wouldnt stand a chance in an accident or an abrupt stop...

life is sooo cheap in thailand.

Archived