Video:Three year old "arrested" for not wearing a helmet

webfact

7 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

Children and motorcycles imo do not belong together, helmet or no helmet.

Tell that to my 3 year old son. He knows the name of almost every motorcycle and likes to help me lean into the turns... if I go on the bike without him he’s heartbroken. 

25 minutes ago, Classic Ray said:

Pushchairs can be bought cheaply here and song taews are available everywhere. No need to take a child on a motorcycle, especially without a helmet, it’s just pure carelessness and neglect.

I don't know where you are, but the village where I live, 3km outside Udon ring road, there is not a single song thaew in the village, or even a motorcycle taxi for that matter.

You can find plenty in Udon town centre that will take you out from the centre, the best you can find in the village is a (very) occasional tuk tuk, and only during the daytime.

8 hours ago, taichiplanet said:

the father should be arrested for neglect!

well at 3 years the farther should be responsible, assume he was driving the bike, so fine him double, not ensuring his child's safety, and as the driver of the bike for not ensuring his passengers was wearing a crash helmet.

If they are to young to wear a helmet they are to young to ride a bike.

i agree with this 100%. it amazes me daily, when i see kids on motorbikes with their parents.yet the parents dont care enough to provide helmet for kids.
also, even more amazing...women driving motorbike wth one hand while she tries to hold baby on her knees with the other hand...the kid wouldnt stand a chance in an accident or an abrupt stop...
life is sooo cheap in thailand.
The kid would end up a human cannon ball.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 minutes ago, roo860 said:

The kid would end up a human cannon ball.

I too amazed to see that children of any age are allowed on motorcycles with or without helmets

I understand the need for inexpensive transport, but how many parents now have either dead children or maimed children because of accidents.

Seeing several children under the age of what looks like 7 with two adults on one bike makes me feel ill with fear for them.

35 minutes ago, lust said:

Tell that to my 3 year old son. He knows the name of almost every motorcycle and likes to help me lean into the turns... if I go on the bike without him he’s heartbroken. 

Who set the example for your child?

How will you feel if he is injured while riding with you?

Better heartbroken than no heart beat

I have a 11yr old niece, her foot permantly damaged, also permanent brain damage, she was 2 when the accident happened.

I too amazed to see that children of any age are allowed on motorcycles with or without helmets
I understand the need for inexpensive transport, but how many parents now have either dead children or maimed children because of accidents.
Seeing several children under the age of what looks like 7 with two adults on one bike makes me feel ill with fear for them.

But let wealthy killers walk away... Let drunk drivers get back in their vehicles, let motorists and motorcyclists jump red lights, etc.

Inbred, numbsculls the lot of 'em!

This place really is sinking day by day, quicker and quicker...  

This is the first case I've heard about where they fine a motorbike driver with a small kid for not wearing a helmet. 

Maybe they are trying to set an example, and that's a good thing , but in a country where 80% of the drivers do not care I wonder how they can force them to change their old habits. 

Maybe free helmets to all sponsored by the government? 

44 minutes ago, balo said:

Maybe free helmets to all sponsored by the government? 

be seen as a way to make  money selling them....hows  all those  free  tablets for every kid  doing these  days............I guess they all became computer geniuses and left Thailand to make some  real money

6 hours ago, lust said:

does  he  know the  brand names  of  helmets  as  well?

recalcitrants!... the lot of them...    

curiuos how small a pecentage have Insurance, let alone proper paid up rego to go with the 'plates?

Never stop to consider the consequences of not paying up, at the very minimum to ensure 3rd party Injury Cover, under the rego.

Dumb expecting everything will be covered by whomever they hit!...

- it won't (always) be someone with money

21 hours ago, keith101 said:

No helmet is a fine not arrest , especially of a 3 yr old

It's not clear exactly what has happened here (as the article says, "Details were unclear") but I think it's a fairly good bet that the child was not actually arrested here. The thread title (as is so often the case) is more than a little misleading.  The word "arrested" is in inverted commas and it's only the irate father who is talking about the child being "arrested" - if that's even what he said. "Arrested" is only one possible translation of the word 'จับ' which is the word I hear bring used in the video. It could also be translated as "caught" - as in, "the child was caught for not wearing a helmet."

It seems more likely (based on the video and the original article) that the father was annoyed when the police wanted to fine him for his daughter not wearing a helmet and has gone (or been 'invited') to the police station to discuss it further and then the video confrontation has ensued.

23 hours ago, webfact said:

Many said arresting a three year old was just plain stupid.

I despair, I really do. Is there no trainig at all for the police in Thailand? or is it limited to demonstrating how to open brown envelopes? If he charged or arrested a child, this copper is a moron, pure and simple; I doubt the law (even Thai law, which is 90% feudal anyway) allows a 3-year-old to be 'arrested' or charged. GroveHillWanderer is probably right, the copper should have (and maybe did - you know how Thais are) charged the father for the son not having a crash hat.

The guy's an embarrassment.

Archived