Can you be put on a baby's birth ceritficate without dna test ?

RichardColeman

Probably been asked a million times, BUT : 

I was not married to the mother of my child when born and neither were we together after. On the day she was born, this lady gave me my daughter to take care of and I have done so ever since. Now, I need to get a Thai birth certificate with my name on it as the father

The mother is quite happy to state I am the father - she wants nothing more to do with the girl and has moved on and started a new life , marriage and Thai partner.

We get on well, their is no animosity, etc, and she will quite happily state the truth.

However, I am being told I need to get a DNA test to get n the certificate as we were not married and I would rather not do this. So how can I get on the certificate without dna ? The lady will happily go to the office with me to say this is the case.

Is there a simple thai court form or something ? 

Happy for any advice.

R

Did you get the notification of birth paper from the hospital? It should have had your name on it.

Then you go down to the Amphur office and exchange it for a birth certificate. Lady not required to attend.

You will need her ID card and her house book.

The Thai lady can have any name she likes in the 'father' space.

It doesn't make you the legal father in Thailand, but it's good enough for a Passport from your home country.

Happylarry wrote complete BS, dna is not required to get a birth certificate, married or not.

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Did you get the notification of birth paper from the hospital? It should have had your name on it.

Then you go down to the Amphur office and exchange it for a birth certificate. Lady not required to attend.

You will need her ID card and her house book.

The Thai lady can have any name she likes in the 'father' space.

It doesn't make you the legal father in Thailand, but it's good enough for a Passport from your home country.

Happylarry wrote complete BS, dna is not required to get a birth certificate, married or not.

Wow!

Ok, correct, but I was assuming he wanted to be shown as the legal father which means the court case. As you rightly said any Tom, Dick or Harry can be on the birth certificate but it has no meaning in law until he has gone through the courts.

It says nothing about needing it for a passport in the op, so you have made an assumption as well as me. Anyway have a nice day BMT.

ok so I have been through this. after a DNA test I was determined to be the father of my son William (who turned 7 today) I refused to pay for the hospital till I got the DNA test so the bar girl mother used another sucker to pay for the hospital. after I got the DNA test I refunded him his costs. then we spent 3 years going around various government offices in pattaya sattahip and burriram (nangrong) it almost left me a broken man as I wanted my son to grow up in New Zealand. finally a woman in Nang Rong took pity on us and amended the birth certificate and crossed out the dad, put my name on it and stamped it. it looks horrible but it got my son his NZ passport. good luck, you are in for a long ride or maybe a shorter more expensive ride if you can find a well connected lawyer. my lawyer said there was nothing she could do.

5 years.jpg

1 hour ago, milwaukeeboy said:

For your own good, get the DNA test.

I did and do not regret it.

DNA test was probably the best money I ever spent. I suspect this guy does not want to do it because there is a chance the kids is not his. in that case he needs to adopt the kid. I know some couples who have done that but it is not easy from what they have said.

my neighbor (Thai) is a lawyer and just said.........the birth certificate has the father name on it, if it's not yours it's somebody else's name, I don't see how you can put your name in the birth certificate since there's one there, never saw a birth certificate without both names (father and mother) thus for your name to gt there you have to adopt the child or to avoid the adoption process and claim you are the father, DNA test is required and if the results support that you are the biological father now you have to go to court and have the certificate amended/corrected

First you need to find out if there is a fathers name on the Birth cert if not or your names on it you can go thought a court proceedings to be come the named father and will get paperwork that will state you are the father. I am not sure if you can get sole custody at the same court hearing or you have to apply that on a seperate time but a lawyer will be required for an easy result

13 hours ago, scorecard said:

But why is he hesitant to get the DNA test?

Not my business, and not yours. However, I may be reluctant to get a DNA test if I thought the child may not be biologically mine. Some women do not know who is the father of one or more of their children. Of course, since he has taken care of the child since birth; he is the de facto father. He apparently wants legal recognition of that fact.

Depending on where you live; my (dual national) son had the issue of not being legally married to the mother of his son at the time of birth. He was on the birth certificate and that sufficed for Thai papers and the Thai authorities.

He then went to try to get his son dual nationality which was not possible at that stage. Needed a court ruling by the "competent local authority" which, in his case, was the family court in Chonburi.

Cost him THB 30K to get a court ruling which then got presented to the embassy in original and ever since my grandson is also dual national as well with legal papers referring to his mother (it's always clear who the mother is) and his father. 

Sometimes it works the other way round.

My mad ex got pregnant by a gay hill-tribes hairdresser (while we were still married, so divorce ensued).  When the baby was born in Vachira Hospital, Phuket, she told the doctors that I was the father, (even though the baby was clearly of Asian parentage). 

The birth certificate subsequently named me as the father.  The future looked rosy for mad-ex, until I found out this 'fraud', as did the real father.

Trying to change the father's name on an issued birth certificate is not easy, and requires a police statement from the mother that she had 'made a mistake' LoL. 

Oh what fun we three (mother, me and gay father) had for several days in Phuket as we went from police station to police station trying to get the police officer to witness/stamp the statement.  All refused and mad-ex finally had to bribe an officer!  With the statement in hand, we were able to go to the Amphur office in Phuket town and get the birth certificate changed.  Gay father was named as the legal father of the child (and he promptly disappeared, never to be seen again).

The baby is now about 11 years old - a lovely daughter, but without a father..

Archived