How to fail miserably in Thailand

marcusarelus

1 hour ago, SammyT said:

I think the biggest irony I see in expats in Thailand who often end up failing are the ones who are super racist about their own countries - i.e. the ones who share Tommy Robinson crap on their facebook pages,

Post one 'racist' thing Tommy Robinson has ever said

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, NCC1701A said:

Funny as I say this all the time. As dorky as it sounds, there are so many analogies to a crew member from Star Trek who is lost with no phaser and no communicator on a pre-warp drive society planet while trying to uphold the prime directive and being in Thailand, that the list is endless.  :cheesy:

And Thailand is a perfect example of what would happen to a planet if the prime directive was broken.

"The Prime Directive applies particularly to civilizations which are below a certain threshold of technological, scientific and cultural development; preventing starship crews from using their superior technology to impose their own values or ideals on them.[2] Since its introduction in the first season of the original Star Trek series, it has served as the plot focus of numerous episodes of the various Star Trek series."

As the right of each sentient species to live in accordance with its normal cultural evolution is considered sacred, no Starfleet personnel may interfere with the normal and healthy development of alien life and culture. Such interference includes introducing superior knowledge, strength, or technology to a world whose society is incapable of handling such advantages wisely. Starfleet personnel may not violate this Prime Directive, even to save their lives and/or their ship, unless they are acting to right an earlier violation or an accidental contamination of said culture. This directive takes precedence over any and all other considerations, and carries with it the highest moral obligation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_Directive

examples of interference include Pickup trucks, iPhones, Facebook, fast food, 7/11, cameras, guns, audio amplifiers, beer, tequila and American country and western music. :clap2:

the reason of course is that Gene Roddenberry used other planets to represent the Vietnam war while Star Fleet was the West and the Klingons were the Russians and Chinese. This was the only way to get a anti war message on TV during the 60's.

When I meet a Thai woman who has been to the West, I think of her as having "Seen the ship", meaning she knows the truth now about the reality of planet Thailand .

OK guys. Pay attention. This is what is referred to as a brilliant reply. Funny, smart, flip, satirical, and clever. Lets give this man an A for effort! Thank you. 

2 minutes ago, mlkik said:

One man's "racist" is another man's patriot it seems, given the large following which "Robinson" (not his real name) has.

However, if he doesn't like the "culture" of Islam (it is not just a "religion") that is his prerogative.  It doesn't make him a racist.

The "far left", and leftist and liberals generally, see "racism" everywhere, which "normal" apolitical persons, like myself, just don't see.

A little bit like 50's McCarthyism, where "commies" where seen everywhere by the American "right".  A lot of needless harm was done over McCarthyism.  Thank goodness that American has grown up since then.

2 hours ago, jesimps said:

Try to interfer when you see a guy giving his wife/girlfriend/any other Thai a severe beating.

or when you see a very obvious case where the farang's  teerak is treating him like a doormat and he just doesn't get it

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

These are some things that foreigners who come here often do not understand, leading to many of the mistakes the OP mentions.

1. There is very little common sense or reason practiced here in Thailand. If it is employed, you will never be able to interpret it as the kind of common sense, and reason you are accustomed to.

2. Thailand is not a foreign country. It is a distant planet. Always keep that in mind. On so many levels, this place does is not familiar. That is one of the things I like most about living here. But, it takes some time to get used to, and I have to remind myself alot, of that reality. Perspective on the place helps alot. 

3. Most Thais are kind hearted, and decent people. Just show some respect. It is their country after all. Do not expect them to behave like you do. Kindness and respect toward the locals goes a long way toward making your stay here really pleasant, and can defuse, or prevent alot of hostile situations. A lack of respect can create the opposite reaction. 

4. Thailand is a very foreign culture. They are one or two generations removed from a nearly total tribal existence. So, alot of traditional values still exist. Expect that. Most are very conventional people, and most live in very small boxes, in terms of lifestyle. 

5. The police are not here to protect you. They do not care one iota about your well being, your safety, or traffic safety. Expect that. Do not employ them, unless absolutely necessary. They operate franchises, and are completely immune to oversight or prosecution. So expect corruption from them, and expect a fleecing, if you give them the slightest opportunity. They are best avoided. Always remember. In Thailand the police do not engage in law enforcement. All they do is revenue collection. 

6. Face can be a real obstacle here. In my opinion, it is the single greatest weakness of the Thai people. They are pathologically afraid of losing face. Personally, I despise this practice of face. It prevents the society from maturing and progressing, on so many levels. Get used to it. If you confront a Thai, they will engage in fierce denial, and most will absolutely refuse to take responsibility for their actions, or admit, and own the problems they have caused, on any level. 

7. If you are going to get involved with a Thai woman, take into account the fact that most are immature and emotionally undeveloped. I highly recommend looking for a woman who is the eldest child in the family. They are given far more responsibility growing up, and it shows. And remember, you are no longer in the West, which means you do not have to check your cajones at the door. Do not behave like you behaved back there. If you do that, she will take over. And take your time. Time is your ally. If it is good, it is only going to get better. If there are real issues, they will reveal themselves over time. Do not allow a woman to push the agenda. Be a man. Push back. Be strong. Do as Bond would do. 

8. If driving, especially on a motorbike, treat the activity as an act of war, in a sense that you may be mowed down or killed at any moment. Maintain eyes in the back of your head. Watch everyone. Expect craziness, insanity, lack of reason, and a complete lack of courtesy and respect on the roads, at all times. Expect cars and trucks to be coming at you in the wrong lane. Expect people to overtake you with the slimmest of margins.
Expect trucks to be driving very slowly in the fast lane of a highway. If riding a motorbike, only do so if you have many years of experience. Especially on the southern islands, where huge numbers of foreigners leave Thailand in a wooden box. Wear the best helmet you can afford. And drive like a grandmother. This applies to ex-pats too. Bring along an international drivers license. This helps you to avoid being fleeced by the local police franchisee.

All good points, although I think you were just warming up to deliver a few more.????

1 hour ago, Rc2702 said:

Don't believe that for a second. 

Are you in a position to know?  Do you have frank discussions about sex with many Thai ladyboys? 

A close relative by marriage of mine just got married and at the pre marriage party we discussed many things and the subject of first sex came up and the above was discussed at length. 

Don't believe me.  Ask any of the ladyboys that you are close enough to have detailed discussion about sex with.  But don't disbelieve me if you have no rational alternative to offer. 

20 hours ago, AlexRich said:

I’m not with you on the “wai” comment. I think foreigners look a bit stupid doing that, it is not their cu

I’ve tried what ever country I’m in to learn how to greet people..

and how to say Beer and toilet (seriously)

I think it’s a polite gesture and doesn’t cost us anything...shows

a little respect....

granted we won’t ever be Thai but we’re are all people....

as far as the 'wai' goes, ensure you understand the culture and how/when/when not to wai, or dont bother - i've never had a thai take offence over a missed wai, a smile/wave/hi in return will suffice.

foreigners who go around waiing everyone in sight simply look clueless/ridiculous.

17 minutes ago, Spock said:

If Thais hold the government sacred, more fool them. I am not going to complement Prayut, watch man Prawit or the junta or even refrain from commenting on them and it. If Thais don't like it so be it. 

Go ahead comment about the things Thais hold sacred.

Referring to Thailand or the government as a dictatorship, military dictatorship or other such terms will be removed.

In the past, discussion of the lese majeste law has been allowed, but due to increased scrutiny by the government this will no longer be permitted on Thaivisa.

26 minutes ago, samsensam said:

as far as the 'wai' goes, ensure you understand the culture and how/when/when not to wai, or dont bother - i've never had a thai take offence over a missed wai, a smile/wave/hi in return will suffice.

foreigners who go around waiing everyone in sight simply look clueless/ridiculous.

If a Thai did take offense do you think they would run up to you and let you know in perfect English so you would understand? 

1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

Are you in a position to know?  Do you have frank discussions about sex with many Thai ladyboys? 

A close relative by marriage of mine just got married and at the pre marriage party we discussed many things and the subject of first sex came up and the above was discussed at length. 

Don't believe me.  Ask any of the ladyboys that you are close enough to have detailed discussion about sex with.  But don't disbelieve me if you have no rational alternative to offer. 

Your basing your discussions on discussions you had with ladyboys. Not much bias. I dare say most Thai men and most men in general do not need to have a discussion about sex with anyone. Who needs such a discussion why is it important? 

I'm pretty sure the majority of straight men anywhere in the world and including Thailand did not have a gay experience prior to a str8 one.  

Sounds like you are being fed utter B.S. and you are repeating it. Speak to the str8 men when there is not a whiff of a ladyboy in sight and I'm certain most will disagree with you and that's putting it mildly.

18 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Go ahead comment about the things Thais hold sacred.

Referring to Thailand or the government as a dictatorship, military dictatorship or other such terms will be removed.

In the past, discussion of the lese majeste law has been allowed, but due to increased scrutiny by the government this will no longer be permitted on Thaivisa.

Do Thais hold the government sacred? Is that your experience? What about democratically elected governments? Are they sacred? Discussion of the government and lese majeste law are surely two very separate topics!

1 minute ago, Rc2702 said:

Your basing your discussions on discussions you had with ladyboys. Not much bias. I dare say most Thai men and most men in general do not need to have a discussion about sex with anyone. Who needs such a discussion why is it important? 

I'm pretty sure the majority of straight men anywhere in the world and including Thailand did not have a gay experience prior to a str8 one.  

Sounds like you are being fed utter B.S. and you are repeating it. Speak to the str8 men when there is not a whiff of a ladyboy in sight and I'm certain most will disagree with you and that's putting it mildly.

First I read about it in a study about Thailand.  I looked for it but can't find it.  Second I talk about sex a lot with Thai guys on a forum called bluexxx.  My cardio doctor told me to stay active and I do every day.  On an average I talk to Thai people about sex for 2 hours a day mixed with sharing and meetings.  No cost.  It's all free.  There are girl sites and boy sites and ladyboy sites.  Some of the most visited websites in Thailand. 

I wouldn't ask straight men about it because they'd lie - macho thing.  The only good information would come from ladyboys who have nothing to lose admitting sex with straight men. 

You might ask on the gay forum here.  I doubt there is a gay guy there who has not had an encounter with at least 20 straight men.  You figure the odds.????

1 hour ago, rumak said:

or when you see a very obvious case where the farang's  teerak is treating him like a doormat and he just doesn't get it

Met one of these. His wife took him for B10m. Told him eventually, he didn't like it, surprisingly.

15 hours ago, HuskerDo said:

I disagree. I've seen many many Chinese and Japanese business people come to my company in the US and bow politely when being introduced to someone for the first time. I'm sure Thais would be the same way.

Wai might not be in a foreigner's "culture" realm but "when in Rome do as the Romans" would apply I'd think.

Do they also bow(or wai) in their home culture? Do you?

41 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

If a Thai did take offense do you think they would run up to you and let you know in perfect English so you would understand? 

So the choice is either:

Wai when you think appropriate and sometimes get it wrong and look a 'fool'

Never wai and be seen as arrogant and ignorant

There are people I know who wai me infront of others and would loose a lot of face if I didn't wai back....for (countryfolk) Thai anyway it is good face to show you are friends with the farang.

Wai at kids, yes, you will look daft but I do wai parents babies when they are teaching them to wai. Then, at a certain age, you stop because that is something else the children have to learn.

Gosh....

21 minutes ago, grollies said:

Met one of these. His wife took him for B10m. Told him eventually, he didn't like it, surprisingly.

I told a guy something similar on an island after meeting his Mrs. He said " I've had over 30 relationships in Thailand I know what I'm doing" at that point he'd been here 3 years

6 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

2. Thailand is not a foreign country. It is a distant planet. 

4 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

Funny as I say this all the time. As dorky as it sounds, there are so many analogies to a crew member from Star Trek who is lost with no phaser and no communicator on a pre-warp drive society planet while trying to uphold the prime directive and being in Thailand, that the list is endless.  :cheesy:

And Thailand is a perfect example of what would happen to a planet if the prime directive was broken.

"The Prime Directive applies particularly to civilizations which are below a certain threshold of technological, scientific and cultural development; preventing starship crews from using their superior technology to impose their own values or ideals on them.[2] Since its introduction in the first season of the original Star Trek series, it has served as the plot focus of numerous episodes of the various Star Trek series."

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

OK guys. Pay attention. This is what is referred to as a brilliant reply. Funny, smart, flip, satirical, and clever. Lets give this man an A for effort! Thank you. 

The Thais would seem to believe to believe that farang from a distant planet too, as under Thai statute law, we are called “Aliens” e.g. under  WORKING OF ALIEN ACT, B.E. 2551 (2008) an "Alien means a natural person who is not of Thai nationality”.

22 minutes ago, silver sea said:

The Thais would seem to believe to believe that farang from a distant planet too, as under Thai statute law, we are called “Aliens” e.g. under  WORKING OF ALIEN ACT, B.E. 2551 (2008) an "Alien means a natural person who is not of Thai nationality”.

So does the United Nations, "For the purposes of this Declaration, the term "alien" shall apply, with due regard to qualifications made in subsequent articles, to any individual who is not a national of the State in which he or she is present."

1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

First I read about it in a study about Thailand.  I looked for it but can't find it.  Second I talk about sex a lot with Thai guys on a forum called bluexxx.  My cardio doctor told me to stay active and I do every day.  On an average I talk to Thai people about sex for 2 hours a day mixed with sharing and meetings.  No cost.  It's all free.  There are girl sites and boy sites and ladyboy sites.  Some of the most visited websites in Thailand. 

I wouldn't ask straight men about it because they'd lie - macho thing.  The only good information would come from ladyboys who have nothing to lose admitting sex with straight men. 

You might ask on the gay forum here.  I doubt there is a gay guy there who has not had an encounter with at least 20 straight men.  You figure the odds.????

Yh I guess your very good at multitasking I mean 3052 posts in 7 months on here 2 hours a day on the blue-LB site all adds up. The circus of characters on this site never ceases to amaze me and I hope does not fool others either.

2 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

I too have family members that are ladyboys and close friends. Took one to the passport office, yesterday, to help her get a passport. I have had the same conversations with them. The one that I was with yesterday is 19.

I can categorically say that you are talking out of your backside, yet again. Only a very small percentage of Thai men would entertain a ladyboy. The majority of ladyboys have had multiple partners but only a few have had sex with a Thai man.

As you don't seem able to spell Marcus Aurelius, maybe you should consider changing your forum name to Jackanory.

13 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

So does the United Nations, "For the purposes of this Declaration, the term "alien" shall apply, with due regard to qualifications made in subsequent articles, to any individual who is not a national of the State in which he or she is present."

Yes

In the interest of balance over the last few posts I would comment thus:

My Thai brother-in-law is Muslim. His eldest son is a ladyboy. He/she/it is also currently in prison in Ayuttahya for dealing meth.

Yet still the world turns......

46 minutes ago, silver sea said:

Nothing unusual about that. As an Australian, the USA refers to me as an alien too. AFAIK I still have the human genome.

6 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Nothing unusual about that. As an Australian, the USA refers to me as an alien too. AFAIK I still have the human genome.

Don't panic, you don't have to be Australian to be considered an alien, if you're not an American citizen you are automatically an alien.

To us Brits however you are just a convict or POM (Prisoner of Her Majesty). Why DO you call US pommie bastards?

Archived