How to fail miserably in Thailand

marcusarelus

34 minutes ago, SuperTed said:

@spideymike007 gave more great advice. But I have to strongly disagree with this one piece "And drive like a grandmother."

Don't drive like your grandmother in TH!

On your motorike, find a TH grandmother and trail a few feet behind her - sure.

But driving like a grandmother - stopping when others are going, driving slower than others, making unexpected moves, not signaling - all will cause accidents.

All the other driving advice is spot on - it is war on the streets - but you survive that war by going with the flow, being one small guppy in a big school of fish, not by blazing your own trail.

Disagree. I drive as far left as I can get, and I am slower than most. Although I don't make unexpected moves, consult my mirrors frequently, and  signal. 9 years on a scooter accident-free, touch wood.

It's the tearaways doing 100 km/hr in congested traffic that come to grief. Usually without helmets or eye protection. At 40 - 50 km/hr, I can stop or control my pace if I see a situation developing. It's called threat assessment.

Yes, I drive like a grandfather.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Disagree. I drive as far left as I can get, and I am slower than most. Although I don't make unexpected moves, consult my mirrors frequently, and  signal. 9 years on a scooter accident-free, touch wood.

It's the tearaways doing 100 km/hr in congested traffic that come to grief. Usually without helmets or eye protection. At 40 - 50 km/hr, I can stop or control my pace if I see a situation developing. It's called threat assessment.

Yes, I drive like a grandfather.

I totally disagree with your comment, its the tearaways that come to grief.

I was only meters from the turnoff for my home, wearing a helmet, was totalled by a clown going the wrong way.

You can control your pace if you see a situation developing, what about when you are unable to control the situation?

It is not how you drive/ ride, it is how others drive /ride.

2 hours ago, SuperTed said:

+1 to OP for living his best life and not being afraid to share about it. That is one thing I like about TH - people accept and respect you living your life.

I must say, though, OP your lady has to be unusually open-minded. I have had two serious Thai relationships - deleting dating app accounts and removing screenlock was a milestone for both. Being on sex chat forums with seven devices. . . Hmmm

I think you have the wrong idea.  I use apps to find information and socialize.  It's one app per screen at a time.  Those might be multiple screen chats or single.  Sometimes one gets information or meets with people who are close by.  It takes one screen per application and additional screens for information on those apps. Distance and interests a photos - whatever.  People call me and ask me to join them online for whatever.  To track all that stuff at the same time requires a number of information feeds.  Below is a short clip of a college student who was talking to me this morning and a list of my friends online and locations to illustrate two screens.

info.jpg

15 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

He is criticising ISLAM and sharia and those who wish to impose it on their hosts. Islam is NOT a race as all races have Muslim members. He is not a racist he is, anti Islam.

And it is perfectly valid to criticize a religion or belief system. I am not necessarily defending everything he has said, as I am relatively unfamiliar with him, and am speaking in general terms. Those that are intolerant of that criticism either have no self esteem, are not well anchored within that belief system, are simply parroting silly and inane tradition, are Wahhabi, or practitioners of Sharia (which the earth does not need), are completely intolerant themselves, have paper thin skin, or are locked into a 13th century mindset. Regardless, anyone should have the ability to criticize a religion, and not be condemned for it. As long as it is done with a rational mind, and without hatred or vitriol. 

17 hours ago, Orton Rd said:
19 hours ago, SammyT said:

I think the biggest irony I see in expats in Thailand who often end up failing are the ones who are super racist about their own countries - i.e. the ones who share Tommy Robinson crap on their facebook pages,

Post one 'racist' thing Tommy Robinson has ever said

LOL. Best way to flush a racist out - mention that Tommy Robinson is a racist and see who comes out and says he's just a patriot

46 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I think you have the wrong idea.  I use apps to find information and socialize.  It's one app per screen at a time.  Those might be multiple screen chats or single.  Sometimes one gets information or meets with people who are close by.  It takes one screen per application and additional screens for information on those apps. Distance and interests a photos - whatever.  People call me and ask me to join them online for whatever.  To track all that stuff at the same time requires a number of information feeds.  Below is a short clip of a college student who was talking to me this morning and a list of my friends online and locations to illustrate two screens.

info.jpg

I reckon when you have to "brag" (using pictures as evidence) about girls you're chatting to online to a bunch of people online who you've never met, you're probably failing at Thailand. 

43 minutes ago, SammyT said:

I reckon when you have to "brag" (using pictures as evidence) about girls you're chatting to online to a bunch of people online who you've never met, you're probably failing at Thailand. 

That's the problem posting anything here.  It gets misconstrued and turns into a flame like yours.  The guy asked me about using 7 screens at home and hinted I was a perv.  I wasn't bragging I was illustrating how I used the screens.  Why would I want to know distance and location if I didn't want to meet someone?  An online friend in my case is a technical term and means you can access that person for communication - nothing more.  I reckon you are pretty sorry when you have to flame a guy who has never done anything to you.  Go back and read what I posted.  No brag only a simple technical explanation for socializing in modern Thailand.  If you insist in being stuck in "10 year ago land" you will fail here.  

16 hours ago, possum1931 said:

and you are proud of that are you? Maybe you are just trolling, or you come from a country with about the same IQ as Thailand.

No mate. 10 years ago our neighbour took us to a restaurant. Directions were up the dual carriageway, turn at the u-turn but he then said go left as we crossed the carriageway, 200m up the hard shoulder was the restaurant. Shit myself as it was pitch black and busy traffic. He just thought it was normal.

Ran a red light a couple of months ago and got fined. Hadn't done it before or since.

Keys to the kids, come on, our friend and his kid staying here last year, kid 13 for the keys to the bike for school. TIT.

IQ of people in the UK....probably similar to here....

Point being we've all transgressed traffic laws at one time or another. I did ask the missus if driving the wrong way up a dual carriageway qualified me for a Thai driving licence.

- Dont treat Thailand or any other foreign country as your playground 

- Dont act as if youre entitled to do whatever you want whenever you want just because 'individual freedom' is preached in your home country

- Dont randomly push Thais out of the way when youre walking in crowded areas (youll get beat up)

- Dont mistaken Thai kindness/patience for weakness and let it get to your head/feel superior

- Dont start raising your voice/creating drama when things dont go your way

- And quit being quick to give the 'middle finger' at the slightest perceived provocation

Farang often get into trouble/make the news as result of behavior above, particularly those from US/UK/AUS.

On 1/26/2019 at 10:07 PM, marcusarelus said:

It's what a gentleman does.  You don't wai service people and most of the time only return wai's except if the person is older than you or more important than you. 

Tell that to the thousands of stupid ass foreigners I see who wai the service staff in shopping centres all the time. Also when a stupid ass foreigner ends up wai-ing another foreigner to say sorry for something. Happened to me many times some foreigner wai me to appologise lol.

9 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Tell that to the thousands of stupid ass foreigners I see who wai the service staff in shopping centres all the time. Also when a stupid ass foreigner ends up wai-ing another foreigner to say sorry for something. Happened to me many times some foreigner wai me to appologise lol.

Although i know the social rules of "wai" , i feel free to interpret those rules at my discretion, and your definition of "stupid ass foreigners" says something about yourself.

Perhaps you should not take yourself too seriously.

Thais can laugh out of embarrassment, when a 'wai' is not appropriate, but they can understand the good intentions of being polite.

47 minutes ago, nemrut said:

- Dont treat Thailand or any other foreign country as your playground 

- Dont act as if youre entitled to do whatever you want whenever you want just because 'individual freedom' is preached in your home country

- Dont randomly push Thais out of the way when youre walking in crowded areas (youll get beat up)

- Dont mistaken Thai kindness/patience for weakness and let it get to your head/feel superior

- Dont start raising your voice/creating drama when things dont go your way

- And quit being quick to give the 'middle finger' at the slightest perceived provocation

Farang often get into trouble/make the news as result of behavior above, particularly those from US/UK/AUS.

-To conform to the topic the above post should read

Treat Thailand or any other foreign country as your playground 

Act as if you're entitled to do whatever you want whenever you want just because 'individual freedom' is preached in your home country

Randomly push Thais out of the way when youre walking in crowded areas (youll get beat up)

Mistake Thai kindness/patience for weakness and let it get to your head/feel superior

Start raising your voice/creating drama when things dont go your way

Be quick to give the 'middle finger' at the slightest perceived provocation.

10 hours ago, colinneil said:

I was only meters from the turnoff for my home, wearing a helmet, was totalled by a clown going the wrong way.

You can control your pace if you see a situation developing, what about when you are unable to control the situation?

It's a matter of statistics, Colin. You were one of the unlucky few at the tail end of the distribution. Or an outlier, if you prefer that description.

I drive on Thai roads under the assumption there will always be a clown going the wrong way.

Perhaps I should have said the vast majority of tearaways come to grief, with a minority of innocent victims. Although admittedly that is difficult to verify.

1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

-To conform to the topic the above post should read

Treat Thailand or any other foreign country as your playground 

Act as if you're entitled to do whatever you want whenever you want just because 'individual freedom' is preached in your home country

Randomly push Thais out of the way when youre walking in crowded areas (youll get beat up)

Mistake Thai kindness/patience for weakness and let it get to your head/feel superior

Start raising your voice/creating drama when things dont go your way

Be quick to give the 'middle finger' at the slightest perceived provocation.

Oh come on Marcus. How about cutting posters less pedantic than you a bit of slack. It was a good post.

9 hours ago, SammyT said:

LOL. Best way to flush a racist out - mention that Tommy Robinson is a racist and see who comes out and says he's just a patriot

Tommy Islam is a nasty little bigot, criminal and wife beater. He appeals to similar types ... what they like about the politics of today is that it gives them licence to be open about their own bigotry ... wrap it in a flag and call it patriotism.

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Oh come on Marcus. How about cutting posters less pedantic than you a bit of slack. It was a good post.

The thread is "How to fail miserably in Thailand"  Not the exact opposite.  Pedantic is one thing but 100% opposite is a bit much don't you think? 

8 hours ago, grollies said:

No mate. 10 years ago our neighbour took us to a restaurant. Directions were up the dual carriageway, turn at the u-turn but he then said go left as we crossed the carriageway, 200m up the hard shoulder was the restaurant. Shit myself as it was pitch black and busy traffic. He just thought it was normal.

Ran a red light a couple of months ago and got fined. Hadn't done it before or since.

Keys to the kids, come on, our friend and his kid staying here last year, kid 13 for the keys to the bike for school. TIT.

IQ of people in the UK....probably similar to here....

Point being we've all transgressed traffic laws at one time or another. I did ask the missus if driving the wrong way up a dual carriageway qualified me for a Thai driving licence.

Definitely trolling.

11 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

The thread is "How to fail miserably in Thailand"  Not the exact opposite.  Pedantic is one thing but 100% opposite is a bit much don't you think? 

You may be right. IMHO the poster was just trying to give positive advice.

Sorry, but I am going to stick to my advice on driving. Go the same speed as the rest of traffic. Yes, the road deaths are caused by the tearaways, but you need to be moving as fast as everyone else on the road to have a decent chance of ducking that accident as it happens. If you are going slow on the side of the road, you are more likely to get hit.

You are absolutely most vulnerable when stopped for a turn, which is why it is so important to maintain speed if you can while turning, and be watching all directions when you can't.

It is very dangerous here. Wishing everyone a safe ride home tonight.

On 1/28/2019 at 12:08 PM, spidermike007 said:

And it is perfectly valid to criticize a religion or belief system. I am not necessarily defending everything he has said, as I am relatively unfamiliar with him, and am speaking in general terms. Those that are intolerant of that criticism either have no self esteem, are not well anchored within that belief system, are simply parroting silly and inane tradition, are Wahhabi, or practitioners of Sharia (which the earth does not need), are completely intolerant themselves, have paper thin skin, or are locked into a 13th century mindset. Regardless, anyone should have the ability to criticize a religion, and not be condemned for it. As long as it is done with a rational mind, and without hatred or vitriol. 

Some people can't tell the difference between religion and race though and enjoy calling people names. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/26/2019 at 2:57 PM, AlexRich said:

I’m not with you on the “wai” comment. I think foreigners look a bit stupid doing that, it is not their culture and every Thai understands that. Thais don’t change their culture when they are overseas, and no reasonable person would expect them too. However long you live in Thailand you are not and never will be Thai. 

Agreed. Thais do not shake hands, for example. 

"The handshake is believed by some to have originated as a gesture of peace by demonstrating that the hand holds no weapon."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handshake

Living in this country now for several years too I have noticed, that no matter how deep the wai, how beautiful the smile, there often is a "weapon" hidden behind them. Too often by my native Western standards, but anyway, I am the guest here.

18 minutes ago, smtsetup said:

Agreed. Thais do not shake hands, for example. 

"The handshake is believed by some to have originated as a gesture of peace by demonstrating that the hand holds no weapon."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handshake

Living in this country now for several years too I have noticed, that no matter how deep the wai, how beautiful the smile, there often is a "weapon" hidden behind them. Too often by my native Western standards, but anyway, I am the guest here.

You must not have lived i the West long.  After being married three times to Western women I find Thai people admirably honest and straightforward.  Maybe you don't watch CNN or Fox but if you think they are straightforward I don't know what to say. 

Thai used car salesmen are the same as Westerns used car salesmen.  Thai go go dancers are far more honest then their Western equivalents.  Perhaps you have forgotten the Bernie Madoff smile?  Thais are amateurs. 

mad.jpg

• 7 months later...
26 minutes ago, simon43 said:

I wonder what's become of the OP (Marcus).  He suddenly stopped posting.  I hope he's OK.  Anyone know?

I was wondering the same thing too.

For such an ultra-prolific poster his silence is a little spooky.Best wishes to him wherever he may be..

Archived