Shame on True & Truevision!

Dario

As long as Truevision/UBC/TelecomAsia exists I have been one of their loyal members. I joined them before they launched their sat televison, I think that must be 28 years ago. I have presently their gold package which everyone here agrees, is not cheap. I used to have their platinum package, but it just got much too expensive, so I switched to Gold.

Our little daughter Amy started seriously to learn tennis in the middle of last year and she does fine, you can watch her progress on her Youtube channel here.

This year we are lucky that we have again a WTA world class tournament here in Thailand at True Arena in Hua Hin, called the Toyota Thailand Open 2019. Some top WTA players have been invited to compete. The 1st round started today. After  a very long wait I have finally just obtained a HD VPR box from Truevision which allows me to copy the tennis tournament matches, which allows me and Amy to analyze them and improve her movements and strokes on court. Unfortunately, I had to find out today that TRUE does not broadcast any of the matches from Hua Hin (at least not until right now). True prefers to rerun some past matches from Brisbane Open on their channel #670 True Tennis Channel instead. I find it a real shame that True/Truevision is not willing to let the Thai citizens see a top tournament which is held in their country! 

Update:

As we speak, True channel 670 have now changed to True Arena Hua Hin, showing lots of people on (probably) SCB Center court hitting balls. I can see Garbine Muguruza and the ex sports minister Lipallop who usually hands out the trophies and is an advory official at the WTA. I wonder when they show the first match. My guess is that the organizers want to hold the matches starting evening and during the night, in order to escape the heat.

I am lobbying to get a Tennis Forum within TV, if you are a supporter, please show your support here. Thank you.

Now: Shuai Peng (China) vs. Chloe Paquet (France) are warming up.

• 1 month later...

Truevision is getting worse and worse. Among others I have a Gold subscription for Truevison, only to be able to watch channels 670 True Tennis Channel, 680 Fox Sports and 689 Fox Sports 2 the latter occasionally also broadcasting tennis tournaments like the Australian Open last January. I also have a True HD PVR box, so I can copy the tennis matches to analyze them later with my daughter. As my daughter is training tennis on a serious level, we are both interested in the WTA (Women's Tennis Association) matches.

The coverage for the 1000 Masters BNP Paribas in Indian Wells was quite good on True Tennis Channel, intermittently ATP and WTA matches. Now, on March 19, Miami Open 2019 has started and since that date True Tennis channel is ONLY showing the ATP matches, only ATP. no WTA matches. To fill the program, TV is doing reruns of the ATP Indian Wells matches, no WTA Miami Open matches as would be appropriate. We are now March 23rd. There are as many female as male tennis players participating in Miami, but Truevision is only showing matches of the male tennis players, belonging to the ATP.

I wonder why?

Thailand is dominated by a male society, women don't count much, although they are the ones working harder than men. This pattern also shows on the True Tennis Channel. It's not right, because I pay a lot of money to see also the WTA tennis matches.

I have to look again for an alternative to Truevision. The Tennis Channel? I have read mixed reviews about it. Any suggestions from tennis aficionados?

Archived