Tennis: WTA Toyota Thailand Open gets underway in Hua Hin

Tennis: WTA Toyota Thailand Open gets underway in Hua Hin

t4.jpg

The inaugural Toyota Thailand Open women’s tennis tournament officially got underway in Hua Hin on Monday.

The WTA event, which is on until ,03 February is being held at True Arena.

The opening round of matches on Monday evening saw Monica Niculescu knockout No. 3 seed Hsieh Su-wei 6-4, 7-6 (2) in what was the first meeting between the two veterans.

"I'm happy that I could play this kind of game. I knew Su-wei is going to be very good...and I knew she's a very interesting opponent, mixing the game, like me," Niculescu said after the match.

"I had to run a lot, fight a lot and mix it up, and I think I did that. I'm happy that I could finish in two, because in the end I was losing a little bit of energy, so I'm happy that I could finish it in the tiebreak."

Winners of the other matches included No. 6 seed Ajla Tomljanovic of Australia and No. 8 seed Dayana Yastremska of Ukraine, each winning in straight sets.

More information about the tournament can be found on the WTA website.

Tickets for the rest of the tournament can bought from Thai Ticket Major and True Arena Hua Hin.

Photos from the opening ceremony of the the WTA Toyota Thailand Open at True Arena, Hua Hin

t1.jpgt2.jpgt3.jpgt5.jpgt6.jpg

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-01-29

Archived