Bangkok rated 89th on list of liveable locations for Asian expatriates

webfact

Bangkok rated 89th on list of liveable locations for Asian expatriates 

By   THE NATION

BKK.jpg

FILE photo

BANGKOK is the highest rated Thai city, sitting at 89th place in an annual listing of the most liveable location for Asian expatriates, according to a survey released by ECA International yesterday.

Singapore is once again rated the most liveable location for Asian expatriates, having claimed the top spot every year since global mobility experts ECA International, began their liveability rankings in 2005.

These were among the latest findings of their annual “location ratings survey”.

Meanwhile, George Town and Kuala Lumpur have risen to 97th and 98th in the rankings, respectively.

“Both Thailand and Malaysia continue to develop and improve their infrastructure, resulting in steady improvements in their liveability scores over recent years,” noted Lee Quane, regional director-Asia for ECA International, yesterday. 

“In particular, advances in road and transport infrastructure have improved access to areas in these countries that were once considered far more remote.” 

ECA International’s system measures the quality of expatriate living conditions in over 480 locations around the world, as they aim to arrive at a fair and consistent assessment of the level of difficulty experienced by expatriates as they adapt to a new location.

The factors evaluated include climate, availability of health services, housing and utilities, isolation, access to a social network and leisure facilities, infrastructure, personal safety, political tensions and air quality.

Quane said that several factors make Singapore the ideal location, such as access to great facilities, a low crime rate, good quality healthcare and education, as well as a large expat population already living in the island state. Although many cities in Asia offer similar benefits to overseas workers, Singapore clings to the top spot, with no indication it will soon drop in the rankings.

Hong Kong has dropped 12 places in the latest survey, and now shares the 41st most liveable city designation for expats coming from elsewhere in Asia.

The port city slipped down this year’s rankings due to the disruption and considerable damage caused by typhoon Mangkhut in September 2018. 

Though there was no loss of life, it was the most devastating storm in recent times and caused an estimated US$1 billion in building and infrastructure damages.

“Therefore, Hong Kong’s liveability score has decreased to reflect the difficulties caused by typhoon Mangkhut,” Quane |said.

Japanese cities continue to perform strongly, with all four of the nation’s locations included in the rankings featuring in the top 10. This is despite Osaka’s score dropping slightly due to the effects of typhoon Jebi, which caused significant damage to the city.

The only other Asian location to experience a drop in liveability ranking as significant as Hong Kong was Colombo in Sri Lanka, which fell 12 places to 194th overall.

Outside of Asia, cities in Australia and New Zealand offer the best quality of life for Asian workers, with Brisbane and Sydney holding a joint second place in the rankings.

“Australian and New Zealand locations always tend to score well for Asian expatriates, due to the high level of infrastructure and facilities,” Quane said. “This is also because they are geographically closer to the home locations of Asian workers, as compared to cities in Europe or further afield.”

Copenhagen, the capital city of Denmark, is the most liveable European location for Asian expats, and joint 10th overall.

“Copenhagen is consistently high in our liveability rankings and is the most liveable European location, as it was last year.

Copenhagen scores well across the board, due to low pollution and crime levels, access to good facilities and schools, and excellent healthcare,” said Quane.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/Tourism/30363153

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-01-30

Bangkok is on the 89th spot ?! Clearly doesn’t deserve to be at that place since it’s high on pretty much everything ! From pollution to road rage accidents and deaths ( sadly nobody cares either way since they don’t do anything to prevent deaths on the roads ) What Infrastructure?! It’s only about Thai people not accessible to westerns unless they’re well’off.

This also  doesn’t help to tackle ordinary problems as I’ve mentioned above but also everything is so slow dangerous and disorganised, in addition to this there’s corruption spread throughout the country, dishonesty ( just to mentions a few ) Plus total lack of English language and clearly an uncivilised society who’s got no manners which is also unwilling to open its mind to the rest of the world so it remains just as insular as ever. Just to mentions a few major issues but as we all know there’s so much more to complain about..Unless, they change their attitude and open their little mind it will only get worse. Also, there’s no point to continue building Towers eliminating that little green left in the city of havoc, I very much dubt they’re selling all those tiny condos to the Chinese people who will soon realise how unliveable it is, unless of course they come from a similar scenario, they’d fit right in comfortably..

89th place for Asian expatriates? is that good? how many places are there, 88? 

Being there done that.

If i did not have to stop there for my connecting flight to Khon Kaen, I would never see Bangkok again!

To be honest, I do spend a few days there when I have people visiting from the US and I show them around. The Grand Palace, floating market, Wat pho, a ride in the river, exploring chatuchak market (probably my favorite market in the world) . then of to Krabi for a few days and  then back to to the real Thailand. 

Bangkok is on the 89th spot ?! Clearly doesn’t deserve to be at that place since it’s high on pretty much everything ! From pollution to road rage accidents and deaths ( sadly nobody cares either way since they don’t do anything to prevent deaths on the roads ) What Infrastructure?! It’s only about Thai people not accessible to westerns unless they’re well’off.
This also  doesn’t help to tackle ordinary problems as I’ve mentioned above but also everything is so slow dangerous and disorganised, in addition to this there’s corruption spread throughout the country, dishonesty ( just to mentions a few ) Plus total lack of English language and clearly an uncivilised society who’s got no manners which is also unwilling to open its mind to the rest of the world so it remains just as insular as ever. Just to mentions a few major issues but as we all know there’s so much more to complain about..Unless, they change their attitude and open their little mind it will only get worse. Also, there’s no point to continue building Towers eliminating that little green left in the city of havoc, I very much dubt they’re selling all those tiny condos to the Chinese people who will soon realise how unliveable it is, unless of course they come from a similar scenario, they’d fit right in comfortably..
Total nonsense.

"From pollution to road rage accidents and deaths ( sadly nobody cares either way since they don’t do anything to prevent deaths on the roads" 

Agreed, when I mentioned this to the wife the replies was "why do you make fuss" something to that effect lol

"
What Infrastructure?! It’s only about Thai people not accessible to westerns unless they’re well’off" 

I think being well off should not be an issue but we live in times where it's all about money

"Plu
s total lack of English language and clearly an uncivilized society"

There are many factors to this one as I run into many who wish to speak and learn English but, schools charge big money for the average thai and simply can not afford. Language is a big business even if they learn there are many who just will not be able to practice the language of no fault of their own. To say they are not civilized as if there is a place you can go any where in the world that is civilized. Nations. countries still all over still kill each other over dominance, control, money, wars, etc. so, I do not know what you mean by "civilized"

The key word being "Asian". Why move to a different country when you can get it all at home. It's the cultural dichotomy that's attracts a lot of us Westerners to Thailand, not just the income thing. Christ, I could move to a low income area in my own country, the equivalent of Nakhon nowhere, and probably live a good life.

Asian expats or expats in Asia?

EDIT: Found the answer in the other article: 'expats relocating from elsewhere in East Asia'. I'd like to see the stats with Chinese,Russians and North Koreans excluded, not sure how keen the Japanese would be to move into a filthy ghetto covered in smog.

Archived