How Secure Is Residency In Thailand

qwertz

I note that many of the threads carrying these comments have undertones of insecurity, that you perhaps have to marry a Thai in order to justify a long stay, represent a multi-national or carry special qualifications. How much of this is true?

I read a great deal of useful posts in the board, many of them however mentioning the annoying visa regulations, permission to work etc. and would appreciate some input as I am due soon for a pension and thinking on how and where to move. This would not necessarily have to be LOS but at least somewhere with warmer winters and LOS qualifies on that front. I am already an expat, single, a Brit living in Germany but my pension is not going to buy me much luxury if I retire here, I've always worked freelance. My winter heating bills alone here would make a big hole in the average state pension and my savings.

I could work on, perhaps part time, as a translator elsewhere in the world but I don't know the local position in LOS regarding working as my many visits there were strictly tourism, apart from one long stay many years ago and I was aware then that I was working illegally. I have teaching experience in English, French, German and Spanish, quite unrelated to TEFL etc. for military units, commercial concerns and technical institutes, which I might be able to adapt to local demand. During my time in the north of Thailand and more recently in Phuket, I came across Europeans teaching English in Thai schools or attending teaching courses. Although I know nothing about Thai teaching standards, I think many of these would not meet German standards as diploma level is the norm here.

BTW, I love the board, I have many a good chuckle when I need a break from translating.

With the long-winded blog, you asked a single question:

"(do) you...have to marry a Thai in order to justify a long stay, represent a multi-national or carry special qualifications(?)"

No. As you mentioned there is a sense of insecurity. Many, many TVers are insecure, about their personal relationships, about their money, about their addictions, and about their cell phones and internet services. In short, people in Thaialnd are insecure about the same things that everyone else is. Only more so.

With the long-winded blog, you asked a single question:

"(do) you...have to marry a Thai in order to justify a long stay, represent a multi-national or carry special qualifications(?)"

No. As you mentioned there is a sense of insecurity. Many, many TVers are insecure, about their personal relationships, about their money, about their addictions, and about their cell phones and internet services. In short, people in Thaialnd are insecure about the same things that everyone else is. Only more so.

This comment is surely lighting the fuse to a large fire cracker.

Good luck to you, you'll be answering replies for a week.

Soundman.

I note that many of the threads carrying these comments have undertones of insecurity, that you perhaps have to marry a Thai in order to justify a long stay, represent a multi-national or carry special qualifications. How much of this is true?

I read a great deal of useful posts in the board, many of them however mentioning the annoying visa regulations, permission to work etc. and would appreciate some input as I am due soon for a pension and thinking on how and where to move. This would not necessarily have to be LOS but at least somewhere with warmer winters and LOS qualifies on that front. I am already an expat, single, a Brit living in Germany but my pension is not going to buy me much luxury if I retire here, I've always worked freelance. My winter heating bills alone here would make a big hole in the average state pension and my savings.

I could work on, perhaps part time, as a translator elsewhere in the world but I don't know the local position in LOS regarding working as my many visits there were strictly tourism, apart from one long stay many years ago and I was aware then that I was working illegally. I have teaching experience in English, French, German and Spanish, quite unrelated to TEFL etc. for military units, commercial concerns and technical institutes, which I might be able to adapt to local demand. During my time in the north of Thailand and more recently in Phuket, I came across Europeans teaching English in Thai schools or attending teaching courses. Although I know nothing about Thai teaching standards, I think many of these would not meet German standards as diploma level is the norm here.

BTW, I love the board, I have many a good chuckle when I need a break from translating.

Visa have become a real pain in the ass. What you save on heating, you will probably end spending for air tickets and hotel rooms while peregrinating to beg tourist visa in neighbouring countries. You will definitevely save money on hookers, anyway.

A last advice: avoid beach chairs, and if you are really tired and need to sit on one, always remember to pay the chair owner before leaving.

You seem to be asking for information on everything !

Perhaps you would get some responses if you asked a few specific questions. :o

Naka.

Quite right naka, because I'm interested in first hand input, straight from the horse's mouth. Sorry if my post is a little long winded but I wanted to give more background to my interest than I could have put in a one liner.

And my thanks to the other posters so far, I value your input as it might help prepare me for some of the problems you've already experienced. This is a sincere post, not a troll, and it might help others too as I'm sure I'm not the only one considering a move.