Bangkok's Template For An Air-quality Turnaround

ThaiGoon

I came across this article on Skyscrapercity.com, thanks to K. yappofloyd, an expat living in Thailand, who posted it.

Bangkok's template for an air-quality turnaround

http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/02/23/news/bangkok.php

Here are some excerpts:

"a decade and a half after Thailand began a battle for better air quality, this erstwhile icon of smog has emerged as a role model for Asia's pollution-choked capitals"

"the skies in Bangkok on most days are blue, thanks to the work of a small, dedicated group of bureaucrats who pressed the case for cleaner air despite a history of weak, short-lived governments."

"Bangkok's air, on average, now falls within the limit set by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency of 50 micrograms per cubic meter" ... "The city still has nagging air quality problems especially."

"Most of the credit for the cleaner air, however, goes to a group of strong- willed environmental pioneers."

"Supat is also trying to convince drivers of Bangkok's 9,000 iconic but heavily polluting three-wheeled "tuk-tuks" to change over to 4-stroke engines."

Edited by ThaiGoon

Better management of public transportation would be fantastic...on the same forum the original article came from, I saw this picture of the results of Santiago de Chile's public transportation overhaul. Sure, a lot of people got very confused during the major initial change, but can I just say: OH, YEAH! :o

post-25265-1172367499_thumb.jpg

Talking about pollution ... and cars, there is a sign on the bangna-express way, "2007 - bangna express way - 20 minutes".

While at time, it's possible to get to the city within this timeframe, at other time, it looks like this sign indicated that you should be prepare to take a nap of 20 minutes.

Enforcing some sanctions on smoking cars and motorcycles would be an improvement too. Though I must say Bangkok's air is loads better than Chiang Mai's.

Bangkok's air is loads better than Chiang Mai's??? Are you kidding? Just been there a few days ago and the air felt much, much more better than Bangkok.

"Bangkok's air, on average, now falls within the limit set by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency of 50 micrograms per cubic meter" ... "The city still has nagging air quality problems especially."

50 micrograms per cubic meter. Particulate matter? I'm assuming it is for PM 10. PM 2.5 and PM 1 are the numbers that matter the most for health though. I'd like to know the average numbers for those.

"Bangkok's air is loads better than Chiang Mai's??? Are you kidding? Just been there a few days ago and the air felt much, much more better than Bangkok."

Though there is definitely a pollution problem in both cities, I definitely notice a difference of sea and river breezes impacting the city from the Jao Prayah and the Gulf below it when I go donw to visit BKK. You can smell the water in the air, and feel the breezes.

NOt so in Chiang Mai. At times like the dry season now, it's the Northern basin cities that are known for their hot, stagnant, polluted air. The impact of the rice fields and dried leaves around town being burnt off is just terrible. This is a rural thing BKK doesn't really get, in addition to the basin effect. I can go out some days between 2 or 3 pm and see my shadow in blue and orange as if I'm enjoying a sunset, but actually it's just the thick brown air giving the warm orange glow.

Many articles are out there documenting the increasing problems of CM's air quality and the corresponding rise of athsma and other respiratory ailments in the people up here. I"m just a little too lazy to dig up the links now. But pease, come see one of the lovely dry season/ pre-rainy season midday sunsets, they're lovely.

I don't know about the overall trend, but this year in particular seems to have been bad (from the number of respiratory illnesses I've seen in students, co-workers, people on the train, etc.). However, a friend of mine who'se been here for some time says that on the whole there has been some improvement. I just hope that the same folks who brought things this far keep it up.

The air now is a lot better than it was when I first came to BKK about 7 years ago. The sky was brown and some days could hardly see the outline of a building a kilometer down the road. My impression is that is on a downward trend again though.

still improving actually; the BTS/MRT, conversion of motorcycles from 2 stroke to 4 stroke, conversion of taxis to gas, conversion of tuk tuks to 4 stroke propane, tollways, truck ban in the city during the day, increasing numbers of smaller CC engined cars and some minor clamp downs on buses emissions have helped.

Lots still to do; some more parks would be nice. More emission controls on buses/trucks. More NGVs and NGV filling stations. Less junk cars e.g. taxis older than 10 years on the road.

Possibly it is worse now than in 1998/99, but that was post crash so perhaps isn't a valid comparison PLUS there have been some initiatives since then that have helped and will continue to help. Hard to say without data (which I cannot be bothered too find/look up!)

Enforcing some sanctions on smoking cars and motorcycles would be an improvement too. Though I must say Bangkok's air is loads better than Chiang Mai's.

Bangkok's air is loads better than Chiang Mai's??? Are you kidding? Just been there a few days ago and the air felt much, much more better than Bangkok.

Man you gotta be kidding, did you not notice that you couldn't see the Doi Suthep mountain for the smog? Chiang Mai's air sucks big time and t'aint nobody doing a darn thing about it (so it would seem!).