'World's strongest minister' and PM candidate won't run for office

snoop1130

'World's strongest minister' and PM candidate won't run for office

By Teeranai Charuvastra, Staff Reporter

33-27-696x391.jpg

Chadchart Sittipunt walks along a railtrack in Bangkok on Jan. 27, 2019.

BANGKOK — Former transport minister and subject of countless memes Chadchart Sittipunt confirmed Tuesday he won’t compete in the election as a parliamentary candidate despite being nominated for the premiership.

Explaining his absence from Pheu Thai Party’s list of contenders, Chadchart told reporters he believes himself unsuitable for the legislative branch. The 52-year-old was nominated last week as one of the party’s three prime minister candidates.

Full Story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/2019/02/05/worlds-strongest-minister-and-pm-candidate-wont-run-for-office/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2019-02-05

2 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

Strategic move as he is aiming for the Bangkok governor position and he can win. He also don’t cause friction vying for the PM position with Sudarat. Nicely choreographed. 

Love the way you pretend they all choose themselves. As if PT is really a democratic political party - which we all know it's not!

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

"Chadchart told reporters he believes himself unsuitable for the legislative branch"....have to agree with his sentiments exactly.

Unfortunately the majority of those running are equally unsuitable. Chdchart probably expects to be begged to run..

I remember a certain Mr Thaksin, who is not known for his modesty, once declared he could have a lamppost elected as Bangkok governor. There and then, it didn't work out that way though, and that ...general (what else?) who was running under PT's colours (as much convinced of being the best possible candidate, ...as Mr Chadchart seems to be today) didn't get the golden prize trough.

And frankly, I wish him the exact same demise.

True, Bangkok does not need a member of the highest nobility as its governor, though, many times, erm, not obvious, the era of, erm again, powerholders from the medieval old elite's era belong to the past.

But, the 'state-in-the-state' special statute of Krungthep (together with Chonburi actually, hello convicted murder mastermind, etc ..., khamnan Po and family) makes that it deserves a top-notch personality as its governor. Who would qualify for that honor in Thailand's quagmire, the big question though. Not some general for sure, a Thaksin pawn neither, but who then? Sigh!

5 minutes ago, bangrak said:

I remember a certain Mr Thaksin, who is not known for his modesty, once declared he could have a lamppost elected as Bangkok governor. There and then, it didn't work out that way though, and that ...general (what else?) who was running under PT's colours (as much convinced of being the best possible candidate, ...as Mr Chadchart seems to be today) didn't get the golden prize trough.

True, Bangkok does not need a member of the highest nobility as its governor, though, many times, erm, not obvious, the era of, erm again, powerholders from the medieval old elite's era belong to the past.

But, the 'state-in-the-state' special statute of Krungthep (together with Chonburi actually, hello convicted murder mastermind, etc ..., khamnan Po and family) makes that it deserves a top-notch personality as its governor. Who would qualify for that honor in Thailand's quagmire, the big question though. Not some general for sure, a Thaksin pawn neither, but who then? Sigh!

P.S.: as a Prince did qualify, I guess a Princess would too, but considering She is doing so many good things for the Thai people already, going on with Her regretted Father's lifetime work, even without other reasons, I'm afraid She would decline such an offer, alas, not the least for the Bangkokians...

Edited by bangrak

2 hours ago, bangrak said:

Is there an English version of this story?

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Reigntax said:

Is there an English version of this story?

When my english is not good enough for you, I'm sorry about it, I use it because it is the vehicular language on this forum, but I could explain what I meant to you much better in french, my mother-tongue, or in german, or in dutch, ...providing you would then understand me easier.

By the way, have you always been a member of 'the grammar police' on TV ...?