Import of personal and household effect on a multiple entry retirement visa

I have recently retired and have been issued a multiple entry retirement visa.  I feel very privileged to live on the island of Koh Samui.  I do not have a good understanding of any duty payments which may apply to shipping my personal and household effects to Koh Samui. I have been told by the customs department that I have a six month period to bring personal effects into Thailand after the issue date of the retirement visa and that they would be free of duty.  Conversely I have been told that duty must be paid on household effects. Is this correct? If I bring the household effects into Thailand after the 6 month grace period, does a different rate of duty apply? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Find an shipping agent in your area..these are often used by Thai students relocating back to Thailand.

Easier maybe if you have a Thai wife or know Thais.

I moved from Australia and imported a lot of my things duty free and very simple....by air freight!

24 minutes ago, Robert Andrew said:

Thanks for your prompt response: it's an O-A visa and I have an Australian passport.

Only those working here and Thais can import their household goods duty free.

See the link posted in #3.

Even then.. They have your stuff.. 

When I first came here along with having the non imm O, my wife was a returning Thai who qualified.. We sent in 3 tonnes by air cargo.. Phuket customs just got it and ransomed it back. No amount of being shown in Thai the law made a damn bit of difference.