Airport To Patong Beach - Transport Options

cutethaigirl

I have the same question for Airport - Karon Beach.

Two options that I saw while looking at hotel reservations were:

"Joined bus" at 350 Baht per person per way.

Private Limousine at 700 Baht per car (3 people allowed I think) per way.

I don't know exactly what "joined bus" means but for a couple the limo is probably a better deal.

Actually, I probably don't really know what a "limousine" is on Phuket either, but can guess its something like a 4-door Volvo sedan - something like that.

Making my first trip to Phuket in late August or September. Considering the Baan Karonburi Resort - please let me know if its not a good choice. :o

kenk3z

I have not actually travelled by taxi from the airport for some time but 700 baht sounds way over the top to me.

Metered taxi's are now operating from the airport so providing they use the meter correctly (i.e. it doesn't start at 200 baht) I would have thought this would be the cheapest method.

When you come out of the arrivals hall ignore all the idiots saying "Taxi sir?" because these are usually expensive limo drivers, head across the car park to the left and there you will find a group of metered (yellow) taxis hidden away. There is also a man behind a desk to take your booking.

Good luck

Meter Taxi's are hard to find. If you really want a chepo walk out to the road.5555

The stands inside are 550 TBT. No sur about the bus deal but there is a shared van stand the is out in the waiting area where there are many many touts!

You hotel may offer something cheaper.

BTW, some time ago there was the BIG DEAL about 'Black Taxi's" that would be sort of like gypsy taxis that need to get a costly permit. I have a regular man that does all of my driving and he just laughed and said the permit was only applied in certain places. He just drives into the airport and is waiting for me. A good safe and sober married gent! PM me if you'd like him mobile number!

Meter Taxi's are hard to find. If you really want a chepo walk out to the road.5555

The stands inside are 550 TBT. No sur about the bus deal but there is a shared van stand the is out in the waiting area where there are many many touts!

You hotel may offer something cheaper.

BTW, some time ago there was the BIG DEAL about 'Black Taxi's" that would be sort of like gypsy taxis that need to get a costly permit. I have a regular man that does all of my driving and he just laughed and said the permit was only applied in certain places. He just drives into the airport and is waiting for me. A good safe and sober married gent! PM me if you'd like him mobile number!

My GF works for a tour company that does private car pick-ups from airport to hotel (Patong, Karon etc). It certainly is not as cheap as minibus etc, but offers personal service in a comfortable car at around 600-700 baht depending on destination.

I am not touting, I give the same advise to my family and friends. If you are interested PM me. It is simply a convenient service and saves a lot of hassle, I use it myself because it is good, and at least when using it you have a number to call if you need to change any details or your flight is going to be late etc.

regards

SVB

My GF works for a tour company that does private car pick-ups from airport to hotel (Patong, Karon etc). It certainly is not as cheap as minibus etc, but offers personal service in a comfortable car at around 600-700 baht depending on destination.

I am not touting, I give the same advise to my family and friends. If you are interested PM me. It is simply a convenient service and saves a lot of hassle, I use it myself because it is good, and at least when using it you have a number to call if you need to change any details or your flight is going to be late etc.

regards

SVB

they will go for 500 though

Airport to Patong is 550 THB if you take the official airport taxis.

If you book a taxi from one of the travel agents in Patong to go back to the airport then it will cost about 450 - 550 THB

Does anyone know if there are any regular busses that go from Phuket Town to the airport!

A minibus from the airport is 150 Baht. For a 30-40 minute trip that is a good rate. The desk is just on the right before the passenger exit. And they will drop you at your hotel (or somewhere that sounds like your hotel).

If you book a taxi from one of the travel agents in Patong to go back to the airport then it will cost about 450 - 550 THB

Does anyone know if there are any regular busses that go from Phuket Town to the airport!

No regular buses from Phuket City to Airport. :o

No regular buses at airport either. Only mini buses,taxi`s, limo`s and meter taxis. :D

There is one other way. My staff told me about it and I actually used it the other day

I took a metered taxi from Kathu to the airport and paid 280 THB. Pretty good price!!

:D

I drive down to Phuket from BKK now, since, long ago all the people there in (Phuket) have Robbed me for a FARE (and still are doing the same thing today, as most mentioned on this Fred) .

This is not FAIR ………….

And to exploit Tourist in this way ??? ,

Good Luck, Phuket……….. :

Sawadee Krap…. Wel.come to Phuket…………. Khun Tourist, opps Farang. Hope you have toooooo much money to see this beautiful Island (taxi fares of course)

Talk about RIP OFF’S ……………………… :o:D:D

I drive down to Phuket from BKK now, since, long ago all the people there in (Phuket) have Robbed me for a FARE (and still are doing the same thing today, as most mentioned on this Fred) .

This is not FAIR ………….

Good Luck, Phuket……….. :

Sawadee Krap…. Wel.come to Phuket…………. Khun Tourist, opps Farang. Hope you have toooooo much money to see this beautiful Island (taxi fares of course)

the local government have been trying to break the artifically held high prices but so far without any success .

Its similar to the baht bus mafia at pattaya .

I believe the metered taxis are not allow to go into the airport , thats what the phukete gazette reported recently.

They stifle competition to keep fares up high ..

the local government have been trying to break the artifically held high prices but so far without any success .

I believe the metered taxis are not allow to go into the airport , thats what the phukete gazette reported recently.

That is not the case. The metered taxi can drop you of at the airport

You can even take one from the airport back to your hotel or house but there is a surcharge of 100 THB which they taxi will have to pay to the airport authorities for picking up clients from there. They have their own waiting area. You can just follow the signs from outside the arrival hall

• 3 weeks later...

Most hotels will be able to arrange your pick up, I always book my taxi through the hotel, for the last 12 years I have been staying at the Phuket Palace Resort, and they arrange the pick up, when you get out from arrival there will be a driver holding a sign with your name and hotel.

That saves you all the arguments with the drivers when they want to take you to other hotels to earn a commision.

You can call metered Taxis now from anywehre in Phuket and they will come and pick you up.

Took a cab last week from Phuket Town to Patong. 15 min after initial phone call, taxi showed up (pretty ok time, i thought). As I am sitting in the cab and waiting to get rolling, the driver then asks me with a big smile in Thai, whether I would like that he opens the meter or leave it switched off. "Pit" (closed meter) only 250 Baht, he says!

I couldn't believe it. What a silly question, why the heck did I order a metered Taxi in first place?

I just answered: "Poedt dai" (Open, please) and gave a big smile back! Arriving in Nanai Road the fare was at 155 Baht.

Again, metered taxis are now available, but make sure that those meters are ON!

Cheers!

A minibus from the airport is 150 Baht.

This is not entirely true. If you are going to a place somewhere near the beach or on Rath-U-Thit, they charge 150 Baht, but if you are going to Nanai Rd., they will charge abt. 180 or 200 Baht, even though they drop you off first in Patong....

:o

You can call metered Taxis now from anywehre in Phuket and they will come and pick you up.

A friend of mine called a Taxi Meter from Patong to take her to the airport. The reply was: "Ok, please come to the police station, we pick you up there!" Just imagine, getting your luggage for a 3-month oversea trip there to catch your taxi! Taxi Meters have a bad experience with the Tuk-Tuks in Patong...

• 1 year later...

This is not FAIR ………….

Good Luck, Phuket……….. :

How about if you are arriving in the wee hours of the morning? More likely to get ripped off? How's taxi availability? do many people arrive in Phuket at say, 2 am?

sb

• 1 year later...

No regular buses from Phuket City to Airport. :o

No regular buses at airport either. Only mini buses,taxi`s, limo`s and meter taxis. :D

Hi,

Is there any bus from Phuket city to airport now?

Can you take it at the same bus station where the bus from Patong brings passengers?

Thanks.

Does anyone know if the minivan service (150 baht from the airport to Patong) is still running their scam of stopping at a travel agent on the way "to collect tickets" (i.e. try to sell hotel rooms to unsuspecting passengers)?

This has been going on for years, but there was an article in the Phuket Gazette a couple months ago saying that the authorities want to eliminate this illegal ploy, and will suspend any drivers reported doing it.

You always know that they're running this scam if they don't ask you what hotel you're going to when you get in the bus. The travel agent they stop at will take your ticket, and ask you for your hotel. I've been on minivans that make passengers wait in the agent's parking lot for 30-45 minutes while the agent does a hard-sell on some unsuspecting tourist who hasn't pre-booked a room.

Will be returning from Bangkok in a few days, and am just wondering if the minibus is "stop-free", or if they're still up to their old tricks.

Does anyone know if the minivan service (150 baht from the airport to Patong) is still running their scam of stopping at a travel agent on the way "to collect tickets" (i.e. try to sell hotel rooms to unsuspecting passengers)?

This has been going on for years, but there was an article in the Phuket Gazette a couple months ago saying that the authorities want to eliminate this illegal ploy, and will suspend any drivers reported doing it.

You always know that they're running this scam if they don't ask you what hotel you're going to when you get in the bus. The travel agent they stop at will take your ticket, and ask you for your hotel. I've been on minivans that make passengers wait in the agent's parking lot for 30-45 minutes while the agent does a hard-sell on some unsuspecting tourist who hasn't pre-booked a room.

Will be returning from Bangkok in a few days, and am just wondering if the minibus is "stop-free", or if they're still up to their old tricks.

My friend used this service last week and was forced to stop at travel agency....

Fuxxing mafia!

Few comments to add.

Private ride

I've been paying 500 for a friend to pick us up/drop us of for all our trips.

He has one sweet ride, but with no license (as is the case with most in Patong). Lately he's leased his car out, so I'm taking the other options.

Another guesthouse has me booking through them for 500 as well. Airport pickup or drop-off is the same price.

Mini bus

The minibus, as most know, play a few tricks. They leave you waiting "until we have enough tickets sold to fill the bus" which is partially true. I've waited for 40-50 minutes (or more). Even if they've sold a bussload, they will sometimes make you wait an extra 10 minutes... just for sh*ts and g*ggles. They want you to get frustrated and take a taxi next time. Worked with me, I rarely take the mini-bus anymore.

They all have the pit stop 1/2 way to Patong as far as I know. 10-15 minutes while they switch busses, sell tours and we're back on the road.

Car Service

Pay at the counter and your ticket is queued. 550 to Patong, a bit more to Karon, etc. As long as there are cars there, this isn't a bad option (although overpriced, it's still OK value for more than 1 passenger) as it is a 45 minute drive, no stops.

WARNING: if delays or high volume days happen and all the taxis are full and gone, they will not tell you that there are no cars. They will continue to sell tickets even though it may be a long wait before the cars are able to drop passenges off and return for another trip. I've sat and watched when we were group #7 of at least 30 other groups. We waited over an hour. Imagine how long the others waited. We were just behind an international arrival & 2 TG flights during holiday season. I think this is a VERY UNCOMMON experience, but now I always ask if there are cars ready NOW, before I buy my ticket.

Transport options in Patong are limited. There is no bus service that goes around patong, or links patong with kata/kamala, or links patong with the airport.

Transport is dominated by the ubiquitous `tuk tuk`. However there is an alternative, and I`ll show you how.

There are two reasons why you should avoid tuk tuks.

1. Your Health.

A significant number of tuk tuk drivers drink on the job. Combined with the fact that there is little or no protection in the vehicle for the passenger, accidents are more common and more injurious.

A significant number also try and charge more than the price you had agreed. This can lead to arguments, threats and violence.

2. Your Wealth

The tuk tuk cartel has taken advantage of their near monopoly to charge extortionate prices. A trip in a tuk tuk in patong would cost you FIVE times the amount for the same distance in pattaya.

However, there is an alternative, the private meter taxi.

Perhaps paying regard for their own health there are no private meter taxi stands in patong. So how do you use them?

The Cunning Plan.

1. When you exit the doors of phuket airport, take a deep breath and walk straight ahead through the throngs of touts trying to get you in the expensive limos. Walk for about 120 yards and you will come to a line of meter taxis.

Walk up and down the taxis and get the contact cards from the drivers. 4 or 5 should suffice. Get a taxi to your guesthouse.

2. You can use these contact phone numbers to get a taxi when you go to and fro to nightspots. You can ring the taxi from your guesthouse lobby, but it poses the problem of how to get back - are you forced to use a tuk tuk?

3. You could make an arrangement with the driver to pick you up somewhere at a certain time, but thats cramping. Heres a more elegant solution.

Bring your mobile phone and buy a local sim card (cost about £5). Top it up with a local pay as you go scratchcard, enter the taxi drivers numbers, and you`re in business, and can ring anytime you need wheels. The phone also doubles as a good way to keep in contact with any ladies you might meet.

It is also worth remembering that taxis provide excellent rates for all day hire.