Australians who helped rescue Thai cave boys appeal for Bahraini football refugee

rooster59

I am thinking that the Notification from Aust; may have been really to pre-alert the Thais, that the dude may become embralled in the Sharia plot;

as they'd (OZ) have put two and two together, having already thru their own channels heard about the Sharai plot to involve Interpol...

The warning goes out, accidentally misworded about what was being implied; leaving the situation open to how Thais react to the Grammar...

that Aust didn't have the time to react soon enough tho get to the airport, before the Bahraini axe fell 

6 minutes ago, Howard said:

I think the Australian stance is pretty clear. The PM has twice written directly to the Thai PM in recent days requesting his return to Australia. The Australian Foreign Minister has raised the issue with the Thai authorities during a recent visit to Thailand. The Australian PM has made public statements on the Australian position.

The latest suggestion is that he be given Australian citizenship as this would change Australia's status in negotiating with the Thai authorities on his behalf. Will be interesting to see if this eventuates...

The initial red alert from Australia set the course of this unfortunate political tug of war. The Australian government may have subsequently mounted a campaign to 'bring him home', but the trigger happy federal police alert, though subsequently withdrawn, sufficiently murked the moral waters for the Thais to entertain a request for extradition to Bahrain. In any event, Australian citizenship would at least send a strong message of support.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TopDeadSenter said:

this is factually incorrect. The game he was playing in finished at least 30 minutes before the terror attack on the police station took place. Ample time, and a terrible alibi. Have football players ever displayed rowdy behavior post match ?!?

How about his fans all chip in money and build a new police station for the Bahrainis to replace the one he burnt. Then the Australians can have him back(preferably after he served his time back home), and hope and pray he does not start burning stuff there when he loses his temper the next time. 

Considering the football match was 30 minutes away from the police station and his teammates all said he stuck around with them after the match, he has a solid alibi. I suppose if he went directly from the field to the police station without showering or changing his clothes he could have made it. But with his teammates as witnesses, he has a solid alibi. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Spock said:

The initial red alert from Australia set the course of this unfortunate political tug of war. The Australian government may have subsequently mounted a campaign to 'bring him home', but the trigger happy federal police alert, though subsequently withdrawn, sufficiently murked the moral waters for the Thais to entertain a request for extradition to Bahrain. In any event, Australian citizenship would at least send a strong message of support.

yeah and well I reckon it's a simple Grammar error - that they should have realised how easily the Thai interpretation needed to be taken into account, regardng the wording of the Alert...

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

What right has Thailand to detain him ?

It has no  treaty with Bahrain to return him to Bahrain.

Thailand apprehended him because they were notified by the Australian Federal Police that he was on his way there and that there was a red notice for his arrest from Interpol, when Australia noticed the error, they informed Interpol to take the notice down as he has "Refugee Status", Interpol recognised this and removed the red notice, why has Thailand failed to release him, it is putting itself above international law, by arguing that it's own law is above international law, which grants him and recognises him as a "refugee", you cannot argue that Thailand has a bad track record when it comes to refugees, i.e. sending them back to where they came from or refusing to recognise "refugees".

Thailand is trying to put the blame on Australia, when itself fails to recognise international law which recognises that he is a "refugee", what makes it worse is it doesn't have a treaty with Bahrain, Thailand doesn't even know how to submit red notices, it's comedy cappers all the way and they are making themselves a laughing stock of the world s usual, I am not Thai bashing, just stating the facts. 

What can they possibly achieve by holding him until their courts decide, the whole system is flawed because it does not recognise his status as a "refugee" under international law, they think they are above the law, that is what it implies !

Thailand MUST take a stand and release him, and tell Bahrain to take it up with Australia, doing it any other way shows that they are just plain interfering with international law in my opinion, and a lot of other people's opinions.

Shame on Thailand for not showing leadership and as always pointing the finger at others.

Leadership 5555555555555

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Ulic said:

Considering the football match was 30 minutes away from the police station and his teammates all said he stuck around with them after the match, he has a solid alibi. I suppose if he went directly from the field to the police station without showering or changing his clothes he could have made it. But with his teammates as witnesses, he has a solid alibi. 

It's been stated many times but nobody is acknowledging the fact that Australia did not issue the red alert, Bahrain did. Australia unfortunately notified the Thai authorities of its existence and then withdrew the notification.

Edited by Lazybones
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Lazybones said:

It's been stated many times but nobody is acknowledging the fact that Australia did not issue the red alert, Bahrain did. Australia unfortunately notified the Thai authorities of its existence and then withdrew the notification.

Screenshot_2019-02-09-18-53-16.png

Edited by Artisi
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, connda said:

Regarding the shackles?  Australia doesn't shackle prisoners in transit to court?  Perhaps they don't shackle 'super-star' footballer prisoners, but I'm pretty sure all the common Aussies are shacked. 

4 hours ago, White Christmas13 said:

guess you never been to Australia with a crap comment like this

I'm loathe to agree with the first comment but having done a quick google "Are Australian prisoners shackled", you are shown a host of videos and stills showing prisoners in Australia being shackled.  One headline reads "Still waiting for softer shackles!"

5 minutes ago, HHTel said:

I'm loathe to agree with the first comment but having done a quick google "Are Australian prisoners shackled", you are shown a host of videos and stills showing prisoners in Australia being shackled.  One headline reads "Still waiting for softer shackles!"

This is for murderous convicts 

16 minutes ago, White Christmas13 said:

This is for murderous convicts 

I'm not sure that this, in reality, is true:

In managing the use of restraints, the rights and dignity of each individual prisoner must be carefully balanced with the public’s need for protection. The department should aim for best practice in relation to the treatment and management of prisoners, and its policies and practices should guard against the mistreatment of prisoners.

My investigation has concluded generally that:

1. the act of restraining prisoners using force that is not reasonably necessary in the circumstances of the particular case exceeds the power of the department under section 86 of the Correctional Services Act 1982

2. the current departmental arrangements are not consistent with internationally and nationally accepted standards, and lack necessary flexibility and discretion

3. the arrangements do not, and should, require that restraints must be rotated to avoid them causing harm to the prisoner.

The six individual cases I considered revealed that:

1. some individual prisoners, including a dying man, a pregnant woman and some low risk prisoners, were unnecessarily restrained; and were not afforded dignity as a consequence

2. some prisoners were restrained for unnecessarily long periods of time

3. a pregnant woman may have been guarded by male guards while undergoing intimate medical procedures and whilst giving birth

4. medical staff were unaware that they may be able to request the alteration or removal of restraints in some circumstances; and they were unable to contact prison management in a timely manner

5. there is a lack of adequate communication between guards and prison management in relation to the use of restraints.

My conclusion is that the department’s failure to adequately consider the individual circumstances of each prisoner in deciding whether to apply restraints breached section 86 of the Correctional Services Act. That section only authorises the department ‘to use such force against any person as is reasonably necessary in the circumstances of the particular case’. It is my opinion that in failing to consider adequately the circumstances of each individual prisoner, and whether restraints were necessary in those circumstances, the department has acted in a way which is contrary to law within the meaning of section 25(1)(a) of the Ombudsman Act.

Source: http://www.ombudsman.sa.gov.au/wp-content/uploads/correctional_services_july_2012.pdf

Definitely worth a read as is many other reports.

I've never lived in Oz but there is so much reported on the net that I can only believe "There's no smoke without fire!"

Enough of this endless guessing narrative.  Let's get serious here now kids...we start a Gofund or go home.  Cash is king in life.  Writing letters to kings and governments is sweet and tender, but unless you have a political agenda as leverage to free him, you might as well spend quality time with your thai honey...

Geez they are making it out as if he is some high profile soccer player.  He plays socially at a local amateur club that no one had even heard of until now. He isnt really anybody but a fugitive from justice and it was Australia who tipped of Thailand and Bahrain that he had left the country.  Australia doesn't want him back.

8 hours ago, TopDeadSenter said:

He has always maintained his innocence and pointed to the fact that he was  playing in a soccer game that was broadcast on live TV in Bahrain until about 30 minutes before the alleged crime was committed.

https://www.smh.com.au/world/asia/why-did-they-put-chains-on-me-i-m-not-an-animal-hakeem-al-araibi-speaks-from-prison-20190205-p50vsw.html

From the link you posted

The Institute's director of advocacy, Sayed Ahmed al-Wadaei, said Araibi's club had "confirmed that Hakeem remained with his club after the match ended, and travelled back with them in the club’s coach".

This means it is impossible for Hakeem to have been involved in the incident, which occurred in Khamis, as he would not have had the time to make it there by 8pm."

7 hours ago, Ulic said:

If it's so solid then he should go back and request a retrial.  Why did he just flee like a guilty person and not produce this so called evidence.

9 hours ago, khunJeroen said:

For those who think this is world news, in Europe but even in SG where I live, this is not at all in the news and probably nobody even cares. In principle I agree that Thailand should decide in court to be transparent to all parties. In general, imo it shows a lack of diplomacy that the Aussies play it via the media and publicly put Thai government under pressure. In Asia you often achieve the opposite doing so. 

It was in the Australian media about 3 weeks ago for 1 news bulletin but nothing now.

I don't want to be "that guy" but these are divers who did a great job at the right time but that shouldn't give them more clout in anything but diving than anyone else.  I've saved numerous people from car accidents, from immediate death, from battlefields (I was in the US Army) but I don't walk around trying to interfere with global politics.  Why are they being given a political voice louder than others?

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, PJPom said:

Today’s terrorist is tomorrow’s freedom fighter, how often have we had this description applied to absolute scum.

I am not saying that this man is a terrorist , BUT his country has judged and sentenced him as a terrorist, who are we to overturn a legal process in another country.

Would there be an outcry if UK or US wanted him ?.

Just as a footnote nearly every publicised case involving a failed refugee application or an appeal against deportation in Australia stresses their sporting prowess, they are always stars with great potential, never people just using the power of social media influence.

I get the impression that just because this guy playes  soccer he should be let go, so just go to the games footage and walla if he is in the game he should be free but maybe there is something more

8 hours ago, HHTel said:

I'm not sure that this, in reality, is true:

Source: http://www.ombudsman.sa.gov.au/wp-content/uploads/correctional_services_july_2012.pdf

Definitely worth a read as is many other reports.

I've never lived in Oz but there is so much reported on the net that I can only believe "There's no smoke without fire!"

The report relates to South Australia and only the exceptions to the norm of prisoner restraints. Personally I have never seen leg shackles for prisoners attending Court in Australian news reports. 

1 hour ago, Time Traveller said:

Refugees taking overseas holidays ! Too funny.

Now he want's Australia taxpayers to help him out of legal problems in another country? 

<deleted>, he isn't even a citizen. 

The guy is a professional footballer with PR in Australia, why shouldn't he and his wife be able to take an overseas holiday? BTW the Australian government had advised him it was safe to travel to Thailand, plus the government has a requirement to assist those under its jurisdiction exposed to human rights abuse/s overseas. That is why Australian PM and Cabinet Ministers are making representations to the Thais for his return to Australia. Again I ask why members are acting as apologists for the Bahrain dictatorship, bet it wouldn't happen if he were a non Muslim...

Edited by simple1
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Zack61 said:

Hands up if you think you’d get a fair shake in Bahrain if it was a political witch hunt? I too would have made a run for it if I knew I was innocent. 

If I was guilty, I would probably made a run for it as well.

Just saying.

12 hours ago, Lazybones said:

That doesn't make sense to me. If Australia notified Thailand that there was a red notice on a person, how can they just withdraw a warning once it had been delivered? Or are you saying Australia cancelled a red notice issued through Interpol by another country?

Being serious, confused with that post.

4 hours ago, Time Traveller said:

Refugees taking overseas holidays ! Too funny.

Now he want's Australia taxpayers to help him out of legal problems in another country? 

<deleted>, he isn't even a citizen. 

What do you expect them to be doing?

If he can afford an overseas holiday this would indicate he has been productive and is enjoying a lifestyle that may have been unavailable to him in Bahrain.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Thechook said:

If it's so solid then he should go back and request a retrial.  Why did he just flee like a guilty person and not produce this so called evidence.

Could just see you requesting a retrial to a court case in Bahrain, mouth and trousers comes to mind. 

Edited by Artisi

8 hours ago, Thechook said:

Because the Bahraini government has no interest in evidence they have not created. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, chrisinth said:

That doesn't make sense to me. If Australia notified Thailand that there was a red notice on a person, how can they just withdraw a warning once it had been delivered? Or are you saying Australia cancelled a red notice issued through Interpol by another country?

Being serious, confused with that post.

Australia didn’t issue a red notice, that was a lie. 

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 1