7 eleven cash card registration

Used for several years, many points.

Now they say it must be registered (Thai ID card only). I won’t have one in this lifetime.

Call center no English.

Any possibility to register with passport?

Getting more backward by the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sadly it seems not, mine is registered to Madams ID as the system apparently can't handle passport numbers.

Annoying but it's a government regulation that's several years old which the providers (including Rabbit/BTS) have been fighting. Sadly they have now capitulated. At least you don't need ID every time you top up which was the original government idea.

They actually told me to get a Thai friend to register for me. Walking around with a Thai persons cash card sounds an easy way to get arrested over some misunderstanding won’t be doing that. Charged my RABBIT at MacDonalds yesterday no problem.

Thailand, hub of backwards thinking. Will probably just give it away.

Original commenter wrote: "Used for several years, many points. Now they say it must be registered (Thai ID card only). I won’t have one in this lifetime. Call center no English. Any possibility to register with passport?"

Exact same issue for me yesterday.  Went to top up my card, which I've used for years for both convenience and rewards points, and was told I could not longer use it because the card is not registered.  And that it can only be registered with a Thai ID.   In fact, they even asked me if the card was mine and where I'd orginally purchased it. 

Reportedly, it's because "criminals were using the cards for cash laundering" (Rabbit cards, as well).  Frankly, this makes no sense to me, because it's simply a stored-value card and to the best of my knowledge can only be used to pay for goods; it cannot be used to get cash or even cash change.  It's only worth whatever the holder has put on it and it's only useable at 7-Eleven.  It's not a credit/debit/cash advance card.  In other words, if I have 500 baht on my card, I cannot simply walk in and ask them to give me 500 baht, bringing my balance down to zero, or buy a candy bar and get 475 baht cash change in return.  So I don't see how it's used for money laundering.  Seems silly to me for the need to "register" a stored-value card.  Sillier still that people without Thais ID's (expats, tourists, etc.) cannot have one.  And now the Rabbit card is following suit?  How do they expect tourists to purchase a 30-day Rabbit pass or top up their cards without a Thai ID?  My Rabbit card is already registered, years ago, but not with a Thai ID.  Does this mean my Rabbit card will also no longer be valid next time I go to top it up?  Furthermore, will this also apply to MRT cards?  What about food court cards at various malls? (you know the ones - can't pay with cash, need to purchase a stored value card instead.  Same concept.)

Another commenter wrote: "They actually told me to get a Thai friend to register for me. Walking around with a Thai persons cash card sounds an easy way to get arrested over some misunderstanding won’t be doing that."

Again, it's not really a cash card - one cannot use it to get cash.  It's merely a stored value card and can only be used at whatever vendor accepts the card.  The user cannot redeem a 7-Eleven card for cash or get cash change, as far as I know.  And I can't walk into Power Buy and buy a large screen TV with my 7-Eleven card.  That being said, I agree it may become an issue if 7-Eleven's will now be required to ask for ID's when using a 7-Eleven card.  My Thai friend graciously offered to register the card for me.  But if my card now technically belongs to her, what happens when I go to use this card I've had for years and now they ask for my ID?

In the end, the 7-Eleven thing is really just an inconvenience.  The sun will still rise tomorrow.  But the Rabbit card issue is going to become a real hassle.  I can only imagine what the lines at the BTS windows will be like.

Yes a stored value card. I don't know how criminals can use them for laundering. Use drug money to buy high value products to resell through legit business? These cards have been around for years benefit of registering is you can do something if it is lost. Now it should be an APP registered to a mobile anyway solves all issues. Very backwards.

7 hours ago, Rael007 said:

Reportedly, it's because "criminals were using the cards for cash laundering" (Rabbit cards, as well).  Frankly, this makes no sense to me, because it's simply a stored-value card and to the best of my knowledge can only be used to pay for goods; it cannot be used to get cash or even cash change.

I am not sure about 7-11 cash card but for Rabbit card, it can be linked to LinePay. After the link success, balance from the Rabbit card can be withdrawn to connected bank account using Line app. So, Rabbit card can be used as e-money and has to meet "know your customer regulation".

bswkw4

Original commenter wrote: "Used for several years, many points. Now they say it must be registered (Thai ID card only). I won’t have one in this lifetime. Call center no English. Any possibility to register with passport?"

Exact same issue for me yesterday.  Went to top up my card, which I've used for years for both convenience and rewards points, and was told I could not longer use it because the card is not registered.  And that it can only be registered with a Thai ID.   In fact, they even asked me if the card was mine and where I'd orginally purchased it. 

Reportedly, it's because "criminals were using the cards for cash laundering" (Rabbit cards, as well).  Frankly, this makes no sense to me, because it's simply a stored-value card and to the best of my knowledge can only be used to pay for goods; it cannot be used to get cash or even cash change.  It's only worth whatever the holder has put on it and it's only useable at 7-Eleven.  It's not a credit/debit/cash advance card.  In other words, if I have 500 baht on my card, I cannot simply walk in and ask them to give me 500 baht, bringing my balance down to zero, or buy a candy bar and get 475 baht cash change in return.  So I don't see how it's used for money laundering.  Seems silly to me for the need to "register" a stored-value card.  Sillier still that people without Thais ID's (expats, tourists, etc.) cannot have one.  And now the Rabbit card is following suit?  How do they expect tourists to purchase a 30-day Rabbit pass or top up their cards without a Thai ID?  My Rabbit card is already registered, years ago, but not with a Thai ID.  Does this mean my Rabbit card will also no longer be valid next time I go to top it up?  Furthermore, will this also apply to MRT cards?  What about food court cards at various malls? (you know the ones - can't pay with cash, need to purchase a stored value card instead.  Same concept.)

Another commenter wrote: "They actually told me to get a Thai friend to register for me. Walking around with a Thai persons cash card sounds an easy way to get arrested over some misunderstanding won’t be doing that."

Again, it's not really a cash card - one cannot use it to get cash.  It's merely a stored value card and can only be used at whatever vendor accepts the card.  The user cannot redeem a 7-Eleven card for cash or get cash change, as far as I know.  And I can't walk into Power Buy and buy a large screen TV with my 7-Eleven card.  That being said, I agree it may become an issue if 7-Eleven's will now be required to ask for ID's when using a 7-Eleven card.  My Thai friend graciously offered to register the card for me.  But if my card now technically belongs to her, what happens when I go to use this card I've had for years and now they ask for my ID?

In the end, the 7-Eleven thing is really just an inconvenience.  The sun will still rise tomorrow.  But the Rabbit card issue is going to become a real hassle.  I can only imagine what the lines at the BTS windows will be like.

sksmawwsws

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Archived