Where Best? Thailand or the Philippines

Rooster raised the question of the cost of living in Thailand and invited those contemplating leaving to think again. 

History  As a Brit who has visited most of the last 25 years just for a couple of weeks or sometimes 3 weeks a year, I can say that prices here have remained largely stable but have risen pretty slowly. taking a downward jump at the time of the Asian banking crisis nearly a decade ago. But now, for Brits, the BREXIT effect has been and is disastrous. The new exchange rate of 41 baht to the pound now makes Thailand look expensive for many expats.  On top of the immediate BREXIT devaluation we have had another taking effect as we head towards the 29 Mar 19, like the man in a barrel heading over Niagara.  The devaluation of the pound affects all exchange rates both for Thailand and the Philippines alike so how do the Philippines look by comparison.  The climate is just a little cooler compared to Bangkok.  It's a lovely country with volcanoes on every part of the archipelago; just wonderful for geologists but a potential downside should another big eruption threaten.  The people are just lovely and the girls draw favorable comparisons with those from other Far Eastern Countries. but have you been to Manila; it's got the highest density of people anywhere on the planet with traffic pollution as dire as anywhere. Instead of the Bangkok taxi the Jeepney reigns supreme, carrying as many passengers as  you find in a crowded Songthai. Great fleets of them occupy the roads leading to the most awful congestion.  Bangkok wins on this basis alone.  However out in the country it is charming as anywhere tropical.  and your pound goes a great deal further at around 68 pesos to the pound. for example a haircut can cost 100 pesos or even less.  I may now move my holiday location to the Philippines.