How Can A Falang Open A Bank Account?

dirtyrider

I live in the Uk but travel to LOS very often, what would be the best way to open a bank account with a debit card(i want to set up a Ebay and Paypal account from los) as i want to sell things on Ebay and not use my uk account.Think it should be ok when you can use paypal from Thailand from June.?

Regards

Dirty!

I live in the Uk but travel to LOS very often, what would be the best way to open a bank account with a debit card(i want to set up a Ebay and Paypal account from los) as i want to sell things on Ebay and not use my uk account.Think it should be ok when you can use paypal from Thailand from June.?

Regards

Dirty!

Most banks ask to see your non-immigrant visa, but a few let tourists open an account. It varies from bank to bank and day to day.

Regards

Dirty!

Most banks ask to see your non-immigrant visa, but a few let tourists open an account. It varies from bank to bank and day to day.

And on a tourist visa it will only be a current or 'savings' account with ATM card. No credit allowed.

If you look at another thread on this board you will see many comments about why Paypal and other on-line financial handlers do not accept payments from Thailand or other SE Asian countries. Investigate all aspects of this prospect before setting up a business here. (And get the right visa and other paperwork).

The bank will ask to see your passport (no visa of any sort seems to be needed), they'll want the deposit in baht, and they demand a Thai address (my house was still being built & I hadn't gotten an address yet, so no account). Also noteworthy is the fact that several banks told me that they "don't give interest" on a non-Thai account.

Any idea what the minimum might be for your average bank? Or, what was it for your bank?

Thanks

I opened my first account in Bangkok with 3,000 baht and my second in Phuket with 2,000 (kinneeow jang leuy :D ). Couldn't tell if they were happy or not with the amount - just gave me the bank book, ATM card and that was it. Also got internet banking set up.

(And get yourself a Nationwide Building society Flexaccount and ATM card - you can get at your money in ATMs here (Thailand) for NO commission fee and NO reduction in rate. Just DO it! :o ).

Regards

Dirty!

Forget the Paypal idea.

See other postings