Can't Open Drive C Or D By Double Clicking

crabstix

When I want to access drive C or D I used to be able to just double click on it on my PC. When I try it now, the hour glass symbol comes on and then nothing happens. The only way I can access the data is by right clicking on my mouse and choosing the 'explore' option. How can I get it to work like before?

The manufacturers often leave all the install files on a second partition of the disk and this will suffice for a clean install.

Check yuor D: drive for a Windows folder, or i386 folder.

The you need winnt.exe

or winnt32.exe to do the reinstall.

this is a virus. it wouldnt surprise me if u got a message like msvc32.dll failed to load when trying to access ur drives by double clicking on them. i'm not sure what the virus is called but i think it's something like godzilla.

while some ppl dont like AVG Anti-Virus i can only state that it took care of the problem for me.

good luck

o^6 is right, this is a virus. I had it some time ago. It seems to be local (Thai) and is not picked up by most AV software.

It spreads through M$'s brain dead auto-play "feature" - I believe I got it from a photo shop where I was using my USB memory stick to have some photos printed.

It is very easy to cure, just search for "Hacked by Godzilla", for example http://howto.redcomputer.net/windows/hacked_by_godzilla.php, and follow the instructions .. AND THEN TURN OFF AUTOPLAY!

Edited by Phil Conners

Yep, it's the mem-stick/thumbdrive virus. Basically it puts an autorun or somthing in a lot of your drives, which makes it try to execute some of the stuff in the autorun file when you double click on the drive. Antivirus programs will take care of the virus itself, but not the autorun. You'll have to delete that yourself.

Very simple prevention is to have an updated antivirus running.