No one in Europe would oppose extension to Brexit talks - Juncker

webfact

3 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

The EU know that a "no deal" would cause very grave problems for the UK and the EU. They are anxious to avoid those problems.

Juncker has made sensible comments and also made sure all the EU heads of state know what he and Merkel have decided. Loose canon Macron has probably also been reigned in.

The real intention is to pave the way for a new vote which they hope will reverse Brexit. 

But the split Tories, the splitting Labor goons, and the "look after yourself first - I'm alright Jack" parliament haven't got the bottle to go back to the people, either via another advisory referendum or General Election.

A 2nd Neverendum would dwarf the 2016 result despite their constant spinning to the contrary, furthermore my suspicion is that they know it.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

You've nailed the conspiracy! All of Brexit has been a secret master plan to humiliate the UK.

Beware! Beware! Juncker is under your bed! He is hiding in your closet! He has bugged your flat!

Wow. I am speechless.

I have always thought that keeping the UK in the EU was good for everyone, but now I am not so sure. Perhaps the EU is better off without the UK...

9 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

The Brits had two years to make up their mind. And until now they were obviously not able to have a majority for any form of Brexit. A few weeks ago they decided they need an alternative. And the alternative is obviously that the EU should change their mind.

But the EU won't change their mind. The EU told them from the very beginning the possible options and they explained all along the impossible options. You can't have the cake and eat it!

If there is no 2nd referendum or new elections or something else radical what will change? Nothing! They will kick the can down the street a little longer. And after 3 or 6 or 12 months nothing changed.

I hope the EU gives them only an extension if a new referendum is scheduled. Otherwise let them go, with or with out deal. It's their problem.

The EU will modify their agreement with the UK, although it will not be described as such.  It might be true that the UK will initially suffer from a "no deal" rather more than the EU, but the EU will undoubtedly suffer too.  One member leaving their wonderful club will surely plant the idea in other members' minds and, contrary to all the EU's "one big family" reports, everything in the EU garden is certainly not rosy, with several countries openly disagreeing with each other, let alone just with the EU.  Just watch France and Italy as an example.  One thing seems fairly certain following the UK's leaving which is that the dream of a United States of Europe has been correctly perceived as a nightmare. 

6 hours ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

I think everyone wants the UK to leave now. People are just nice and patient. 

The well-timed decision of the European Court of Justice, the day before the big vote in the House of Commons, that the UK could reverse its "leave" decision and stay in the EU on all existing terms, you don't think was designed to get the UK to change its mind?  Of course, the EU would welcome the UK back with open arms as it would help them financially and also show to all other members how so far no-one has ever really wanted to leave this exclusive club, so it must be good.  Unfortunately for the EU, the UK will leave, either with or without a deal, and they fear that this could spell the eventual dissolution of their club and all it entails for the main members' long term plans for domination of Europe.

A trading group is sensible and just fine, but all the other political nonsense is just that...utter nonsense and the only way for the EU to survive long-term is for it to revert to a purely trading community, as originally intended, when it could expand with many more members.

I am an American and we have our own set of problems.  I have been reading about Brexit while I am in Pattaya and have down time.  I have a question that I would like to ask please.

Is one of the main problems in the Brexit agreement the possible new wall between Ireland and Northern Island?  How is that to be solved?  No wall never?  Wall with custom checkpoints?  Wall starts new violence?  I don’t see a way out.

Would appreciate thoughts from those in the know.  I feel for everyone involved.  It is so confusing and everything seems so complicated and looks like it will end in hurt for many.  Thanks.

17 minutes ago, George36 said:

I am an American and we have our own set of problems.  I have been reading about Brexit while I am in Pattaya and have down time.  I have a question that I would like to ask please.

Is one of the main problems in the Brexit agreement the possible new wall between Ireland and Northern Island?  How is that to be solved?  No wall never?  Wall with custom checkpoints?  Wall starts new violence?  I don’t see a way out.

Would appreciate thoughts from those in the know.  I feel for everyone involved.  It is so confusing and everything seems so complicated and looks like it will end in hurt for many.  Thanks.

Pertinent questions asked in a polite and non-confrontational manner. On a Thaivisa Brexit thread. This chap won't last....????

25 minutes ago, George36 said:

The issue is not a wall as such, more it’s about the establishment of border and customs checks separating the Irish Republic and Northern Ireland. The Good Friday Agreement that has kept the peace in Ireland for twenty years guaranteed no border between both countries, so people and goods could move back and forth freely. That was possible because both the UK and the Irish Republic were members of the EU, and in the single market and customs union.

The decision to leave the EU changed that, and if the UK leaves the EU, but particularly the customs union, there will be a hard border between the Irish Republic and Northern Ireland. The problem is that the men with guns will be back, shooting down border checks and shooting at the people who run them. The troubles will return with all the chaos that brings. This issue hardly raised its head during the Brexit referendum debate, but it is turning out to be the central issue over Brexit. 

The solution to this, or one option, is the so-called Backstop, that would keep the UK in the customs union, so goods and people could continue to move freely. The UK would stay in the backstop until a new solution was found, for example, a new trade deal between the EU and UK. But that new deal would need some technology development to maintain a seamless arrangement between the UK and the Irish Republic. That technology does not exist at the moment, and that is why the EU insist on having a backstop, as it guarantees that the Good Friday Agreement is complied with. The problem for extreme Brexiteers is that being in the customs union makes it difficult to sign free trade agreements with other countries. The backstop also requires that both the UK and EU agree to end it. The fear I say that if the EU does not approve the new technology arrangements or they prove impossible to develop then the UK could be trapped in the backstop forever. So extreme Brexiteers and the Northern Irish DUP want the backstop scrapped or want the option of withdrawing from it without the EU’s agreement. The EU argue that that option defeats the purpose of the backstop in the first place.

Also note that entering the backstop is optional. The other option is to extend the arrangements we currently have with the EU until an agreement is reached, but that also involves paying into the EU. One advantage of the backstop is that you don’t have to contribute to the EU.

So we are in a limbo, but matters are coming to a head. If May’s deal, amended with an EU concession, does not get through, we will likely see the extension of Article 50. A crash out on WTO terms is possible, but is likely to be stopped by MP’s. 

12 hours ago, terryw said:

The EU might not object to an extension, but 17.4 million UK voters will object.

Any extension will reflect a failure of UK policy and have a negative effect on local elections in May.

May?  PM or month. I've lost track of the whole thing. ????

1 hour ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

The well-timed decision of the European Court of Justice, the day before the big vote in the House of Commons, that the UK could reverse its "leave" decision and stay in the EU on all existing terms, you don't think was designed to get the UK to change its mind? 

No, I don’t believe Brexiteer hogwash conspiracy theories. 

Of course, the EU would welcome the UK back with open arms as it would help them financially and also show to all other members how so far no-one has ever really wanted to leave this exclusive club, so it must be good. 

The UK in its current state is a failed democracy full of far-right idiots and fanatics. No, the EU wouldn’t want the UK back, unfortunately the UK has the right to do it. 

Unfortunately for the EU, the UK will leave, either with or without a deal, and they fear that this could spell the eventual dissolution of their club and all it entails for the main members' long term plans for domination of Europe.

Really? The last time I checked i saw your running around like chicken. Could you please hurry up with the leaving because it’s wasting time and resources entertaining your circus. 

13 hours ago, steve187 said:

what is the point of extending if as the EU have repeatedly said they will not renegotiate the agreed deal

Erm ... there is no agree deal. What is your problem in following the news? Either UK moves to propose an acceptable deal or they don't. If they want to leave without a deal: their problem. What has all that to do with the EU?

It is called BREXIT for a reason.

And not EU-EXIT or UK-KICK.

13 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

Hey I'm a Swindonian and had a short time at Honda driving Civics around their test track BMW has Mini pressing plant is also there on the site of the Old Rover plant its 3,500 workers plus I think from memory 5-1 in the supply chain around 20,000 in all and the mugs voted for Brexit hopefully my townsfolk will march on parliament and haul back Boris Gove and Faranatang to slay them on the town end steps of STFC and pile the body's on Juncker's desk to now get a deal ????

Why would people in such a situation vote for a BREXIT?

And if they do, why would thy think they get "a deal".

And if they think they "get a deal" why do they believe the EU is in any obligation?

The BMW plant is a german plant. It is there because of .... oooooo!!! EU laws!! Obviously when EU laws are no longer valid ... they "run home".

How far away from reality are you? You punch them in the face and now they have to kotau to you and still be your servants?

12 hours ago, alant said:

1) There is no way of knowing if the UK has reversed its vote in favour of Brexit today. This point cannot be regarded as valid.

Yes there is. It was obvious a few days after the vote when in random street polls 50% of the pro BREXIT voters admitted, they only voted yes to harm the current government. No one actually expected that YES would be the outcome.

10 hours ago, maingmoom said:

Please don't give us an extension. We don't want it. The majority , 17.4 million people voted to leave with or without a deal, but the government are still trying to cheat us by trying to stay in.

One must realize , your democratically elected  Goverment ,

has your best interests at heart, whatever you may think.

10 hours ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

I think everyone wants the UK to leave now. People are just nice and patient. 

No, we want them to stay. And actually we would love if they would work together with their internal infrastructure problems. But, no!!!! That is again EU interfering with internal affairs. Sorry, since Thatcher copied Reagan, the country is on the decline. Without the EU they drop to second world status.

8 minutes ago, Enki said:

No, we want them to stay. And actually we would love if they would work together with their internal infrastructure problems. But, no!!!! That is again EU interfering with internal affairs. Sorry, since Thatcher copied Reagan, the country is on the decline. Without the EU they drop to second world status.

Actually we want that. But not in its current state. The UK needs to clean up and reform itself. Get rid of that cancer called Brexit and all the fanatics. For that, they need to leave first. Figure it out with themselves. Experience first-hand what a stupid idea Brexit is. 

Yes, it’s sad. A great country, awesome people, some of who I call friends. But it is how it is. Staying now won’t do any good to no one. Sometimes a clear cut is needed and pushing the reset button. The door will always be open, and I’m confident the UK will come back as a better and more committed member.

That’s why I’m hoping for a Brexit on 29 March, whether it comes with or without a deal. 

14 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

The Brits had two years to make up their mind. And until now they were obviously not able to have a majority for any form of Brexit. A few weeks ago they decided they need an alternative. And the alternative is obviously that the EU should change their mind.

But the EU won't change their mind. The EU told them from the very beginning the possible options and they explained all along the impossible options. You can't have the cake and eat it!

If there is no 2nd referendum or new elections or something else radical what will change? Nothing! They will kick the can down the street a little longer. And after 3 or 6 or 12 months nothing changed.

I hope the EU gives them only an extension if a new referendum is scheduled. Otherwise let them go, with or with out deal. It's their problem.

What don't you understand about the fact that we WANT to go?

It is only the idiot that lives in 10 Downing Street that is the problem.

The same one that said there will be NO second referendum.

The EU will not negotiate any more (not that I blame them for that) so let us go our own way, which is what the majority of the British people who could be bothered to get off their arrrse and vote actually voted for.

13 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

One very obvious point would be to give the UK more time to come to terms with the mess Brexit is.

The British government cannot Get Brexit through Parliament, they (the British Government) need more time.

Absolutely nothing to do with the EU.

No they don't need any more time, Theresa May is a dead duck now and at the next general election she will be gone, and with no promotion to the House of Lords.

1 hour ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

Actually we want that. But not in its current state. The UK needs to clean up and reform itself. Get rid of that cancer called Brexit and all the fanatics. For that, they need to leave first. Figure it out with themselves. Experience first-hand what a stupid idea Brexit is. 

Yes, it’s sad. A great country, awesome people, some of who I call friends. But it is how it is. Staying now won’t do any good to no one. Sometimes a clear cut is needed and pushing the reset button. The door will always be open, and I’m confident the UK will come back as a better and more committed member.

That’s why I’m hoping for a Brexit on 29 March, whether it comes with or without a deal. 

3 hours ago, billd766 said:

No they don't need any more time, Theresa May is a dead duck now and at the next general election she will be gone, and with no promotion to the House of Lords.

so?

shifting from MP to the upper house is considered a promotion?

I would tend to call such a sideways shift in order to get trouble makers/failures out of the way

19 hours ago, AlexRich said:

There is simply no time left to get the legislation through so it is simply inevitable that there will be an extension to Article 50. 

When Japanese companies locate they make a long-term commitment, they are not fly-by-night merchants. So when Honda sets up in a city, and that city votes Brexit, and the Government can give no reassurances, the Japanese no longer feel that they are obligated ... and leave. It's not just 3,500 jobs, it's the suppliers and the local merchants that serve those workers ... Swindon will soon be a ghost town, just like Linwood in Scotland was in the 1970's when the car factory closed down.

For Swindon's Brexit voting populace project fear has suddenly become project reality. They're finally getting what they voted for. And "they don't like it up em"!

sunderland will be next,i hope they are happy,Brits are never the brightest folks but these have become the stuff of legends,it will all be the fault of the EU as usual,although the locals in sunderland will be also blaming the old enemy the tories,on local forums they have already started,they know its coming i have mates who work there.

2 hours ago, bomber said:

sunderland will be next,i hope they are happy,Brits are never the brightest folks but these have become the stuff of legends,it will all be the fault of the EU as usual,although the locals in sunderland will be also blaming the old enemy the tories,on local forums they have already started,they know its coming i have mates who work there.

If there is a "no deal" Brexit it will be coming faster than any of them imagine. Nissan's business model based on a just in time manufacturing process would be wrecked. And many of the workers voted for Brexit? Those clowns deserve what they get.

30 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

If there is a "no deal" Brexit it will be coming faster than any of them imagine. Nissan's business model based on a just in time manufacturing process would be wrecked. And many of the workers voted for Brexit? Those clowns deserve what they get.

i think the japs took offence to brexit and who can blame them they will have the last laff tho,140,000 brits employed by jap companies in the UK,lets see how many it is in 3-4 years

7 hours ago, billd766 said:

What don't you understand about the fact that we WANT to go?

It is only the idiot that lives in 10 Downing Street that is the problem.

The same one that said there will be NO second referendum.

The EU will not negotiate any more (not that I blame them for that) so let us go our own way, which is what the majority of the British people who could be bothered to get off their arrrse and vote actually voted for.

In Brexiteerland anybody is an idiot who disagrees with them.

8 hours ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

Not so fast Lord Copper! If there is a Soft Brexit, you think it will be over as far as the Hard Brexiteers are concerned? They will say that Brexit hasn't happened and continue their campaign. All the ones here who say they are just looking forward to March 30? Don't believe a word of it.

8 hours ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

Sometimes a clear cut is needed and pushing the reset button. The door will always be open, and I’m confident the UK will come back as a better and more committed member. 

If the UK ever does leave the EU it will never return in my opinion for many reasons. One the way the EU have behaved during these so called negotiations. Another people are much more informed about the EU and the way they bully countries into submission. there are other reason such as having to join the Euro etc.

If the UK leaves it will be for good, never to return. I do believe that the EU will need to reform or risk losing other members.

Archived